Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Miyata Ridge Runner rear derailleur question

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-24, 04:53 PM
marius.suiram 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 110 Posts

Hello, I just bought a 1984 Miyata Ridge Runner mountain bike.
The original rear derailleur is a Suntour Mountech which is known as kind of bad and many were replaced because of the dirt they accumulate and hard to maintain.
The one on the bike was very dirty and the upper pulley was stuck and with broken teeth.
So I want.to replace it with something close like period and Suntour. I tried a Cyclone mark II, but I cannot move the chain on the bigger sprocket (28 teeth), even I released the adjustment screw as much as possible.
Any suggestion way and what should I use instead?

Old 01-07-24, 05:25 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
The Cyclone MKII GT should easily handle a 28t cog. How much space is there between the small cog and the drop-out/stays? Is it a freewheel hub? If there's enough room you could put a spacer behind the freewheel to move it outboard some. Or, ideally, reconfigure the axle spacers and re-dish the wheel....
Old 01-07-24, 05:25 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Suntour VGT-Luxe?
Old 01-07-24, 05:52 PM
marius.suiram 

Originally Posted by ehcoplex
The Cyclone MKII GT should easily handle a 28t cog. How much space is there between the small cog and the drop-out/stays? Is it a freewheel hub? If there's enough room you could put a spacer behind the freewheel to move it outboard some. Or, ideally, reconfigure the axle spacers and re-dish the wheel....
Thank you.
It is a freewheel. I hope I can remove it and put a spacer there, because I have enough space.
Old 01-07-24, 05:54 PM
marius.suiram 

Originally Posted by fender1
Suntour VGT-Luxe?
Thank you, I will keep you suggestion as a back up, I will try first to add a spacer.
Old 01-07-24, 06:25 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
As I said, ideally you'd get things to line up by changing out axle spacers (the 'space' you lose on the drive side needs to get taken up on the NDS so the OLD fits the dropout spacing properly) and re-dishing. But the behind-the-freewheel spacer works too. In theory the spacers (which seem to usually be aluminum) can get crushed under torque and come apart, but I haven't seen it. They're the same spacers that get used for tweaking bottom bracket alignment. These are the ones I've used in the past- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SQKT2MV
Old 01-07-24, 06:37 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 452 Posts
Missing Links?

Originally Posted by marius.suiram
Hello, I just bought a 1984 Miyata Ridge Runner mountain bike.
The original rear derailleur is a Suntour Mountech which is known as kind of bad and many were replaced because of the dirt they accumulate and hard to maintain.
The one on the bike was very dirty and the upper pulley was stuck and with broken teeth.
So I want.to replace it with something close like period and Suntour. I tried a Cyclone mark II, but I cannot move the chain on the bigger sprocket (28 teeth), even I released the adjustment screw as much as possible.
Any suggestion way and what should I use instead?

Will it climb onto the lowest gear when the chain's on the smallest front chainring?
Old 01-07-24, 06:49 PM
marius.suiram 

Originally Posted by machinist42
Will it climb onto the lowest gear when the chain's on the smallest front chainring?
It makes noise, like trying to move.
It moved 2 times out of ten and after the rotate a few times.
Old 01-12-24, 05:42 PM
marius.suiram 

Originally Posted by ehcoplex
It worked, putting a couple of spacers.
Thank you