Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

27mm forks with Peugeot 26.4mm crown race / headset - what are my options?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-21, 08:42 AM
Konstantin_L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi there,

I crashed my Peugeot 103 Carbolite recently and bent the fork at the streerer. I managed to pick up a replacement fork with a threaded steerer of the correct length, but unfortunately I have since discovered that not all 1" forks are the same and my new one requires a 27mm crown race, whereas the headset I have fitted uses a 26.4mm crown race.

Is it possible to replace the whole headset with a JIS 27mm one that would be compatible with my fork? If not, would it be possible to bodge a 27mm crown race into my current headset?

The other option is to mill the fork down, but the bike's not worth much and I'd probably be better of throwing it away sadly, and buying a new (old) one.

Many thanks for any input.
Old 10-27-21, 09:23 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Wouldn't most older Peugeot Carbolite 103 forks have French threaded/sized headsets?
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 10-27-21, 09:26 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by Konstantin_L
Hi there,

I crashed my Peugeot 103 Carbolite recently and bent the fork at the streerer. I managed to pick up a replacement fork with a threaded steerer of the correct length, but unfortunately I have since discovered that not all 1" forks are the same and my new one requires a 27mm crown race, whereas the headset I have fitted uses a 26.4mm crown race.

Is it possible to replace the whole headset with a JIS 27mm one that would be compatible with my fork? If not, would it be possible to bodge a 27mm crown race into my current headset?

The other option is to mill the fork down, but the bike's not worth much and I'd probably be better of throwing it away sadly, and buying a new (old) one.

Many thanks for any input.
I've seen professional bike shops mill a fork's 27mm crown seating diameter to 26.4mm using a file with the fork held in a vise. Some experience is a good thing when attempting this.
Old pro shops should have a simple Campagnolo milling tool that does a better job with less skill required.
Don't bother trying to modify the actual crown race though, it's hardened.
Old 10-27-21, 09:41 AM
Konstantin_L

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Wouldn't most older Peugeot Carbolite 103 forks have French threaded/sized headsets?
Yes, which this is the problem - the french crown race doesn't fit my mystery forks.
Old 10-27-21, 10:10 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
The threading of the fork has no bearing on the crown race dimension - regardless of threading, the 2 crown race standards are ISO and JIS - your fork is one, your crown race is the other. I think the question was more around trying to thread on the upper cup/race (french thread) onto a replacement fork which may not be the same threading.
Old 10-27-21, 10:57 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by mprince
The threading of the fork has no bearing on the crown race dimension - regardless of threading, the 2 crown race standards are ISO and JIS - your fork is one, your crown race is the other. I think the question was more around trying to thread on the upper cup/race (french thread) onto a replacement fork which may not be the same threading.
I think you identified an issue the OP hasn't discovered yet -- that the original upper cup will not thread onto his new fork.

OP, if your new fork is English threaded, then I think you can just get a Tange headset with 27.0 crown race and English threaded top bits.
Old 10-27-21, 11:28 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
I've seen professional bike shops mill a fork's 27mm crown seating diameter to 26.4mm using a file with the fork held in a vise. Some experience is a good thing when attempting this.
Old pro shops should have a simple Campagnolo milling tool that does a better job with less skill required.
Why would you do this when you can just buy a 27.0mm crown race for $2.78?
Old 10-27-21, 03:48 PM
Konstantin_L

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think you identified an issue the OP hasn't discovered yet -- that the original upper cup will not thread onto his new fork.
Yes! I have just independently realised that the thread pitch is wrong, so I cannot use the fork regardless of the crown race.

It seems in lieu of a Peugeot fork appearing on eBay, a new frame / whole bike for me
Old 10-27-21, 04:09 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Yes! I have just independently realised that the thread pitch is wrong, so I cannot use the fork regardless of the crown race.

It seems in lieu of a Peugeot fork appearing on eBay, a new frame / whole bike for me
Wait, no -- it sounds like you've determined that the proportion of the fork is correct for the frame, so I think you just need an English threaded headset with a 27.0 crown race. I think you can just get a cheap Tange Passage and it would get you going.

Link: https://www.benscycle.com/tange-seik...saAs4zEALw_wcB
Old 10-27-21, 04:26 PM
Konstantin_L

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noobinsf
Wait, no -- it sounds like you've determined that the proportion of the fork is correct for the frame, so I think you just need an English threaded headset with a 27.0 crown race. I think you can just get a cheap Tange Passage and it would get you going.
Thanks, that would be wonderful - so I can in theory fit an English 1" JIS headset with a 27mm crown race in my Peugeot's headtube? Do you know if I'd need to replace the stem too?

Many thanks.
Old 10-27-21, 05:09 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Why would you do this when you can just buy a 27.0mm crown race for $2.78?
I didn't assume that the crown race would be readily available at any price, since the OP did not specify what brand it was!

Also, I often (as in almost always) am wanting to finish a job without the wait/hassle/cost of searching for and ordering anything. I guess I'm spoiled in this regard since I have a large cache of used parts on hand, and some fabrication tools, so can almost always get going with what I have.

Last edited by dddd; 10-27-21 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-27-21, 06:55 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Thanks, that would be wonderful - so I can in theory fit an English 1" JIS headset with a 27mm crown race in my Peugeot's headtube?
Yes

Do you know if I'd need to replace the stem too?
Yes. You need a quill stem with 22.2mm diameter (very common) instead of the french 22.0mm (very rare). And your handlebars could also be an odd 25.0mm french size. In which case plan on finding new 25.4mm handlebars to go with your new stem.
Old 10-28-21, 06:49 AM
Schlafen

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts
You can file the fork crown from 27mm to 26.4mm, only takes a few file strokes.

Should have no problems unless you use a split race, in which case it will move if not perfectly round. Done it countless times myself.

Fork thread type may be an issue though as others have mentioned, French and English steerer threads are not interchangeable.

Not sure how much a steerer replacement costs where you are but it's about £60 in UK, so all costs factored in, it may be the cheapest option

Or just use bottom half of the new headset and top half of your old headset with the correct thread if it's a cheap runaround bike and you're not bothered.
Old 10-28-21, 07:58 AM
Konstantin_L

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Schlafen

Should have no problems unless you use a split race, in which case it will move if not perfectly round. Done it countless times myself.

Fork thread type may be an issue though as others have mentioned, French and English steerer threads are not interchangeable.

Not sure how much a steerer replacement costs where you are but it's about £60 in UK, so all costs factored in, it may be the cheapest option

Or just use bottom half of the new headset and top half of your old headset with the correct thread if it's a cheap runaround bike and you're not bothered.
Thanks. I've actually just shelled out on new english headset/stem/bars. Decided it was best to probably change the whole lot and save any potential headaches.
Likes For Konstantin_L:
Old 10-28-21, 12:43 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by Schlafen
I'd advise against this.

Remember, the bearing balls themselves are accurate to a few thousandths of an inch. A crown race of any quality is going to be ground to the same standard. It also is meant to be an interference-fit on a concentric round seat. I doubt the ability of anyone to hand-file such a seat. No doubt the race can be forced onto whatever polygonal shape results, but just as the seat isn't round - and like as not not concentric either - the race won't be either, forced out of shape and location by the irregularities of the seat.
Old 10-28-21, 12:48 PM
noobinsf 

Thanks. I've actually just shelled out on new english headset/stem/bars. Decided it was best to probably change the whole lot and save any potential headaches.
Aside from a new bike, this is the best long-term solution. It's best not to mess with shims and jury-rigging the small differences in diameter between modern standards and the French items. Good choice.
Old 10-28-21, 01:07 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,127 Times in 1,967 Posts
No matter what bike it is, a new headset, bar and stem combo is not a crusher unless you are wanting to turn a profit. Good to see you trying to keep it alive and used!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 10-28-21, 02:01 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
You have at least a couple options. 1) you can mill the 27.0mm race seat to 26.4mm to fit an ISO spec headset, or 2) you can fit a JIS spec crown race with ISO spec cups. Many Japanese headsets are available in both ISO and JIS spec, and crown races are sometimes available separately. The head tube fittings are the same for ISO and French headsets (30.2mm), but JIS head tube fittings are slightly smaller (30.0mm). If your LBS has the proper tools, getting the crown race milled to ISO spec is probably the simplest option, as you wouldn't have to dig around for a separate crown race. ISO spec also makes a wider variety of headset choices available.
Old 10-28-21, 02:14 PM
icemilkcoffee 

You don't have to dig around for a separate 27.0 crown race. You just type in 27.0mm crown race in Google and the first thing (among many similar listings) that comes up is this $2.78 crown race:

I don't understand why people are talking about filing down the fork crown when the proper solution is so cheap and so easily available.
Old 10-28-21, 02:15 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
You don't have to dig around for a separate 27.0 crown race. You just type in 27.0mm crown race in Google and the first thing (among many similar listings) that comes up is this $2.78 crown race:

I don't understand why people are talking about filing down the fork crown when the proper solution is so cheap and so easily available.
How do you know that works with the OP's headset? A crown race is not universal like a washer...
Old 10-28-21, 02:18 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Originally Posted by mprince
How do you know that works with the OP's headset? A crown race is not universal like a washer...
Actually for exposed ball bearing type headsets the crown race is fairly universal.
That might be true for the sealed bearing type as well but I don't have first hand experience there.
Old 10-28-21, 03:11 PM
Schlafen

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
I'd advise against this.

Remember, the bearing balls themselves are accurate to a few thousandths of an inch. A crown race of any quality is going to be ground to the same standard. It also is meant to be an interference-fit on a concentric round seat. I doubt the ability of anyone to hand-file such a seat. No doubt the race can be forced onto whatever polygonal shape results, but just as the seat isn't round - and like as not not concentric either - the race won't be either, forced out of shape and location by the irregularities of the seat.
I see, the old aerospace bearing tolerances argument, ok no problem I'll raise you a split bearing race and 10 milion integrated carbon bearing seats used in all carbon frames and forks.
Your move, or should I say your click.🧐
Old 10-28-21, 03:14 PM
noobinsf 

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
You have at least a couple options. 1) you can mill the 27.0mm race seat to 26.4mm to fit an ISO spec headset, or 2) you can fit a JIS spec crown race with ISO spec cups. Many Japanese headsets are available in both ISO and JIS spec, and crown races are sometimes available separately. The head tube fittings are the same for ISO and French headsets (30.2mm), but JIS head tube fittings are slightly smaller (30.0mm). If your LBS has the proper tools, getting the crown race milled to ISO spec is probably the simplest option, as you wouldn't have to dig around for a separate crown race. ISO spec also makes a wider variety of headset choices available.
Poop, I forgot about that dimension. Since the OP needs a new headset for the English threaded fork anyway, here is what I would recommend based on all of the above:

- Buy the single $2 27.0mm crown race as recommended above
- Plan to return the JIS 27.0mm headset that you just bought, but do not cancel the order yet
- Order an ISO 26.4mm headset from the same seller
- Plan to simply compare the $2 27.0mm crown race to the crown race that arrives with the JIS 27.0mm headset before returning the headset, just to verify that the dimensions are the same

Does that seem like a reasonable plan? You could also just keep the JIS 27.0mm headset to have a spare top nut, spacer, and caged bearings on hand. Either way, it's still far cheaper than a new bike with unknown problems.

Last edited by noobinsf; 10-28-21 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-28-21, 03:24 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,127 Times in 1,967 Posts
I think the OP has already bought a new HS, bars and stem...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 10-28-21, 06:15 PM
Konstantin_L

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noobinsf
Poop, I forgot about that dimension. Since the OP needs a new headset for the English threaded fork anyway, here is what I would recommend based on all of the above:

- Buy the single $2 27.0mm crown race as recommended above
- Plan to return the JIS 27.0mm headset that you just bought, but do not cancel the order yet
- Order an ISO 26.4mm headset from the same seller
- Plan to simply compare the $2 27.0mm crown race to the crown race that arrives with the JIS 27.0mm headset before returning the headset, just to verify that the dimensions are the same

Does that seem like a reasonable plan? You could also just keep the JIS 27.0mm headset to have a spare top nut, spacer, and caged bearings on hand. Either way, it's still far cheaper than a new bike with unknown problems.
So if I understand, the 27mm JIS headset will not fit my bike, so I can buy a 26.8mm ISO headset of the same brand and then try to use the 27mm crown race with my fork and this ISO headset.

Plus I can buy a cheapo 27mm crown race and potentially use that instead (if it fits), allowing me to return the JIS headset to the shop.

Is that right?

Is there any guarantee that the ISO and JIS headsets will use the same bearing sizes, even if they're the same brand (Tange)?

I appreciate all the help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.