Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Huffy + Campagnolo Super Record = The Ultimate C&V Sacrilege build

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Huffy + Campagnolo Super Record = The Ultimate C&V Sacrilege build

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-23, 10:52 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 331 Posts
The Bosal Aftermarket Muffler Factory reminds me of this classic from Bob & Ray.

The U tube link has disappeared for me - if it has been removed, google "Wally Ballou at the Great Lakes Paperclip Factory."

Last edited by albrt; 04-23-23 at 12:19 AM.
Likes For albrt:
Old 04-23-23, 12:01 AM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
I'll really need all those lurkers to come through and start complaining about stuff, and then maybe things will start happening.
Lurker here, I have no complaints but I heard the call from Amazing Marvelous Confente-like Offensive that more Barge Squealy was needed Amazing Squealy Amazing Panache so I'm doing my part for a Confente-like & Vroom thread that brings me great joy.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 04-23-23, 12:21 AM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

I didn't realize Bob and Ray had done a series about Gugie.

Likes For albrt:
Old 04-23-23, 04:16 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts

Full disclosure: I am archiving a copy of this photo for future use. Many thanks.
Old 04-23-23, 08:31 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,553 Times in 1,409 Posts
Originally Posted by retswerb
Lurker here, I have no complaints but I heard the call from Amazing Marvelous Confente-like Offensive that more Barge Squealy was needed Amazing Squealy Amazing Panache so I'm doing my part for a Confente-like & Vroom thread that brings me great joy.
THIS IS WHAT WE NEED.

Many thanks

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 04-23-23, 08:33 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Originally Posted by Hondo6
Full disclosure: I am archiving a copy of this photo for future use. Many thanks.

Feel free to use it after every one of my posts.

Old 04-23-23, 09:54 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 1,007 Times in 516 Posts
Originally Posted by albrt
The Bosal Aftermarket Muffler Factory reminds me of this classic from Bob & Ray.

Wally Ballou at the Great Lakes Paperclip FactoryThe U tube link has disappeared for me - if it has been removed, google "Wally Ballou at the Great Lakes Paperclip Factory."
I got a chuckle when I heard the factory location. I live about an hour from Napoleon, Ohio and pass through there regularly. It's interesting that a small town in Ohio made it into their routine.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 04-23-23, 09:57 AM
albrt 

I'm from Bowling Green - that's probably why this routine still sticks in my head. Well, that and because it's hilarious.
Likes For albrt:
Old 04-23-23, 12:42 PM
Tulok

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
I want a tour of the workshop

I’m really concerned about the housing quality of the huffy… we need a garage tour along with tool details.

I’m concerned about the welfare of the gas pipe cleverly disguised as a bicycl.. a frame.

I think you should post your Venmo or PayPal so lurkers can silently send you $0.50 at a time so the funding doesn’t come in all at once and tempt you.
Likes For Tulok:
Old 04-23-23, 02:41 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Well, another fun setback!

Remember how I painted the BB area a few weeks back? Well, I really wanted to get that stupid cable guide attached, and so was handling the frame quite a bit a few days later, laying it on the carpet, etc.

Well, the paint was still a bit soft, and the carpet, and some of those little micro hairs, embedded into the paint on the bottom bracket and chainstays. I was able to polish out the chainstays, but when I polished the bottom bracket, I got all the impressions/hairs out, but wore down to the metal on the edges of the 'H' panto. Great!

No problem, right? I'll just clean w/ alcohol and give it another light spray, no problemo. That's exactly what I did, at least up until the point the the paint started freaking out and crinkling up where I sprayed.

So, I had to redo the BB paint entirely. I sanded, cleaned, etc. And sprayed a 3rd time. But realized I didn't get the transitions from the new paint to the bare parts quite feathered enough, so I scrapped it AGAIN, and just re-did it a 4th time.

Oh ew gross

Wow SUPER gross

And after some painstaking sanding and whatnot -

MUCH better

You know, I'm not sure whether I should be disconcerted or not about the fact that when I used paint thinner, it wiped all the spraypaint coatings off down until I hit the original paint, and then that paint wouldn't budge. I'm going to chalk it up to 40 years of curing time! Needless to say, I went extremely light on the coats, waited 1-2min in between each one.

And here is where we are now:

...exactly where we were before, only now with wet paint

Pretty depressing, but how low can you get? It's already a Huffy, so...

But! Let's focus on something wonderful for a change! Another package came!

Me, when another 'Le Grande' package arrives

This time from roadcrankr !

They have generously donated to Team Le Grande!

I know we had talked about the idea of the titanium pipe clamps for the cable guides, and while it is still a great idea, I at least need a way to keep moving forward and focus the budget in other areas. So roadcrankr came through with some lovely Huret toptube cable guides!

The funny story is that the post office kept sending it back to him for more postage. I can't blame him for going cheap on the stamps - it's exactly what should have been done to align with the spirit of the project, but the post office probably spend $40 in labor sending it back and forth in their attempt to get just a few more bits of paper attached Much thanks brother!

I'll just stick these in the Evaporust for 3 months 1 day to make 'em all nice and shiny!

Now, since I am not planning on touching that silly frame for AT LEAST a week while it attempts to dry, that will allow me to focus on two parts of the build that absolutely need to get done, but not require the frame - the first one being the cleaning up of the Super Record wheelset and the mounting of the Home Depot tubulars. I will be sure to reference the excellent photos and descriptions of a certain someone who enjoyed putting fancy decorative holes in stuff and had a lovely tabby but is unfortuantely unable to add their comments to this thread before I go and use some Velox tubular tape. We will also be rebuilding the wheelset to make sure it has new grease and whatnot, make sure the bearing preload is A-OK.

Also, remember that super fancy fork crown decorative trim piece? Well, it's more weight, but will add some fanciness, especially when I make little 'H' panto on each side! That's numero 2. Should be much easier as the H cutouts will be smaller, and on much thinner material. That will also give time for the headset adaptors to come this week. If the worst case scenario happens and they get lost in the mail or something, I'm going to give it until the 15th of May and then order new ones. That will give me time to file them down and mount - but let's all hope it doesn't come to that, that would be last resort.

There are also more surprises to come - much more. If I can just get past this zero sum game of painting my bike, destroying the paint, then painting my bike...

Don't worry folks, we're at 'FULL ENERGY MODE" over here at the Team Le Grande HQ

Old 04-23-23, 03:30 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Update: The clamps fit beautifully!

Thank you again roadcrankr !

Old 04-23-23, 03:39 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by Tulok
I’m really concerned about the housing quality of the huffy… we need a garage tour along with tool details.

I’m concerned about the welfare of the gas pipe cleverly disguised as a bicycl.. a frame.

I think you should post your Venmo or PayPal so lurkers can silently send you $0.50 at a time so the funding doesn’t come in all at once and tempt you.

The bike has resided in multiple places - rarely the garage. Most frequent have been the Huffy's bedroom, the Huffy carseat, and the Huffy tag-a-long backpack for day hikes.

Rarely does it live in the garage - mainly it is out there getting tortured - bent and yanked and twisted and smacked on when it misbehaves.

Right now it is suntanning as that stupid paint dries, and then back down to the basement to try to be forgotten about for a week or so.

About the paypal/venmo, I dunno. I've heard others make the suggestion as well. I'm kinda for it and against it at the same time. I love the idea of community involvement, but at the same time when money gets involved, things can get funny, and quickly. Plus, I don't want to come of as a desperate cash grubber. Yes, 100% of everything has gone over budget, because there is no budget But at the same time we're having fun, I've gotten some awesome donations, and feel like we've got a good balance. So right now I think I'll keep it that way, so that folks can know my intentions are pure. Warped, but pure! Purely warped?

Old 04-23-23, 05:04 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 831 Posts
I now have this overwhelming urge to head up to AdventureMan's Secret Underground Lair just to sneeze on the bike in between paint coats.

I think the difference in paint durability is the difference between Current-Day Rattlecan Gunk and the baked-on paint applied by Huffman Manufacturing, chock-full of 70s teratogenic organic chemicals.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 04-23-23, 09:05 PM
Macguyver909

Bikes: '56 Raleigh sports, 70's Raleigh International

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 21 Posts
I personally think you should put mucus, and vomit encrusted, cat pee smelling, rescued from a dumpster fire, 70's shag carpeting, in the olive green and burnt orange color on it. you could hold it on with tied condoms.

Just think of the type "A" personalities thoughts when they see that! (retches into mouth a little,) "you put campy on that!??" It would cost them 20 years of therapy to recover.

Just kidding, the "H" is cool outlined in red like you had it.
Likes For Macguyver909:
Old 04-24-23, 02:28 AM
Bergz
Bergz

Bikes: Woodrup, Avanti, no-name

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 51 Posts
I've been "lurking" around this build thread, I haven't read EVERY post but there's something off that's bothering me...
. What's actually wrong with "gas pipe?" Has anyone done a peer reviewed double blind test of so called gas pipe and regular good quality bicycle tubing? Equal lengths and OD's...?
. Could we have a frame builder make us 2 identical frames, one gas pipe and the other Kasei or something and add weight to the lighter frame. Then have them ridden and assessed?
And while we're at it, does gas pipe differ by county of origin? Is Italian gas pipe as good as Columbus SPX? Is British gas pipe worse than Reynolds 531 PG? Would Italian gas pipe make a fine bicycle frame where gas pipe from the USA would not?
There's just so many assumptions being made here about gas pipe that are derogatory, insulting even. Yet no one has provided a tech bulletin that explains why.
So many questions, so little time....🤔
Likes For Bergz:
Old 04-24-23, 03:28 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,129 Times in 1,968 Posts
The bike has resided in multiple places - rarely the garage. Most frequent have been the Huffy's bedroom, the Huffy carseat, and the Huffy tag-a-long backpack for day hikes.

Rarely does it live in the garage - mainly it is out there getting tortured - bent and yanked and twisted and smacked on when it misbehaves.
Put it in a hot car in the back seat in the sun.

...not only will it relieve some anger at it, it might cure the paint a bit...

DISCLAIMER: I would never advocate treating any living creature in an abusive or neglectful way...just the Huffy.
Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 04-24-23, 07:25 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Put it in a hot car in the back seat in the sun.

...not only will it relieve some anger at it, it might cure the paint a bit...

DISCLAIMER: I would never advocate treating any living creature in an abusive or neglectful way...just the Huffy.
Wait, are you implying that the Huffy doesn’t have a soul? A sweet, gentle, tender-loving one at that?

Old 04-24-23, 07:30 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by Bergz
I've been "lurking" around this build thread, I haven't read EVERY post but there's something off that's bothering me...
. What's actually wrong with "gas pipe?" Has anyone done a peer reviewed double blind test of so called gas pipe and regular good quality bicycle tubing? Equal lengths and OD's...?
. Could we have a frame builder make us 2 identical frames, one gas pipe and the other Kasei or something and add weight to the lighter frame. Then have them ridden and assessed?
And while we're at it, does gas pipe differ by county of origin? Is Italian gas pipe as good as Columbus SPX? Is British gas pipe worse than Reynolds 531 PG? Would Italian gas pipe make a fine bicycle frame where gas pipe from the USA would not?
There's just so many assumptions being made here about gas pipe that are derogatory, insulting even. Yet no one has provided a tech bulletin that explains why.
So many questions, so little time....🤔
EXCELLENT point you bring up. From what I’ve heard around these parts, steel is steel, and the qualities are going to be the same - where it differs is that the higher grade stuff allows you to get a thinner tube (and hence lighter weight) at the same stiffness as a lower quality but thicker tube.

I dunno, but I think it is worthy of a study. I will happily contribute whatever I would get from auctioning off the original Huffy components to the highest bidder

Old 04-24-23, 07:59 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
I'm concerned. I see black cable housing.

Team Le Grand'E can only be seen with proper color-matched red housing. We're not pandering to subtilty around here, are we?

By the way, do you need some spiral stainless cable for the RD?

-Kurt

Old 04-24-23, 08:14 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by cudak888
I'm concerned. I see black cable housing.

Team Le Grand'E can only be seen with proper color-matched red housing.

By the way, do you need some spiral stainless cable for the RD?

-Kurt

Ah, you notice the details!

That was just a used scrap piece of 5mm housing to verify fit. The ultralight red cable housing, will be on the final version

I *think* it should work for the RD as well, but if it doesn't I'll definitely hit you up.

Just to be clear, that is not why you shouldn't be concerned.

Originally Posted by cudak888
We're not pandering to subtilty around here, are we?
Just wait till you see the downtube decal, all doubts will be removed​​​​​​​

Old 04-24-23, 08:17 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

I *think* it should work for the RD as well, but if it doesn't I'll definitely hit you up.
Sounds good. Just don't hit me with the Huffy, I won't survive it.

Just to be clear, that is not why you shouldn't be concerned.​​​​​​​
Don't worry, I'm very concerned. So don't worry.

​​​​​​​-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 04-24-23, 12:06 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
what year is this bike slated for completion? 2037, for the 150th Huffy Anniversary?
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 04-24-23, 03:01 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
what year is this bike slated for completion? 2037, for the 150th Huffy Anniversary?
It's the Sagrada Familia of bikes.

Old 04-24-23, 03:32 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
That's too quick.

I bet this thing will be ready by the time all American cities have Dutch bike networks. Har!

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 04-24-23, 04:42 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,141 Posts
Kurt,
I have sent a missive to JoeTBM to check about the appropriateness of the choice here for a saddle. He claims to be a B&W guy so maybe one of these choices will be suitable for the Huffy build:

Which one will be aesthetically pleasing on the Huffy?
Smiles, MH

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.