Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Major Peloton Recall Issued. 2.2 Mil. units.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-23, 11:36 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts

Peloton Recalls 2.2 Million Exercisers, Seat Posts are Breaking off.

https://thehill.com/homenews/3999746...xercise-bikes/
Old 05-11-23, 12:33 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Oof, is that all of them that they've ever made?

Old 05-11-23, 01:11 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Originally Posted by himespau
Oof, is that all of them that they've ever made?
"model number PL01"
sold thru Dick's Sporting Goods, Amazon, and directly from Peloton.

Peloton's stock was down over 7% earlier....
Old 05-11-23, 02:01 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
"model number PL01"
sold thru Dick's Sporting Goods, Amazon, and directly from Peloton.
Bad, but might not be as bad as it looks at first. A lot of recalls are just a simple part replacement - so 2.2 million seatposts vs 2.2 million complete Peloton bikes.

Of course there's always the public perception issue driving away future sales too.
Old 05-11-23, 03:32 PM
maddog34

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Bad, but might not be as bad as it looks at first. A lot of recalls are just a simple part replacement - so 2.2 million seatposts vs 2.2 million complete Peloton bikes.

Of course there's always the public perception issue driving away future sales too.
no doubt... it appears that it's a " We'll send you a seatpost to replace the bad one, unless you can't operate an adjustable wrench, then take it to Dick's." but people absolutely love to panic, and many can't operate an adjustable wrench, so.... I just hope the mechanics at Dick's aren't paid on flat rate... can't imagine a seatpost pays more than a tenth, and warranty repair is typically at a reduced percentage of flat rate..... 50% in the M/C shops, etc... the paperwork will take longer than the swap.
Old 05-11-23, 03:44 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
no doubt... it appears that it's a " We'll send you a seatpost to replace the bad one, unless you can't operate an adjustable wrench, then take it to Dick's." .
I had a high-chair for my baby daughter that was recalled. It had a height adjustment feature that could potentially fail if you did it wrong and the chair could slip down and spill the baby. The recall was a part that made the chair unadjustable. So if Peloton wanted to be Dick's about it (HA!) they could send some cheap-arse pseudo-seatpost replacement thing that nobody will be happy with but is easy to install, and get the company off the hook.

They could also just send out vouchers for a seatpost replacement, requiring owners to go to Dick's for a free repair, knowing most people won't bother and the vouchers will never be redeemed.
Old 05-11-23, 06:37 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
I have zero sympathy for condo folks that train on "I can't believe it's not a bicycle".

Cycling in the winter is not that bad. Builds character.

That's why they invented Schwalbe Winter studdeds.

Question: did the same condo folks buy PTON and bitcoin? Get rich quick while get in shape quick
Likes For soyabean:
Old 05-11-23, 06:54 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
I have zero sympathy for condo folks that train on "I can't believe it's not a bicycle".
Good news: they don't care what you think either, so you can go back to ignoring each other. As you were...
Old 05-11-23, 10:38 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean

Cycling in the winter is not that bad. Builds character.

That's why they invented Schwalbe Winter studdeds.

Question: did the same condo folks buy PTON and bitcoin? Get rich quick while get in shape quick

What is the average income of a Peloton user?

62% of Peloton users earn between $50,000 to $150,000, 21% make over $200,000 Plus there is 6.7 million of them.

Do you think 21% of cyclists are making over $200,000 per year? I guess they are to busy building character than earning money
Old 05-11-23, 11:01 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
What's funny is that for the price of a Peloton, Peloton users could've bought a real bike & a Zwift subscription. You know, have a first person interactive experience. But also have a bike to ride.

Maybe I don't understand the value of "meta." But when you're rich...I guess being yelled at by a tablet screen to manually change the resistance knob counts as recreation? I dunno, man. If anything captures the divide, it's this whole metaphorical thing.

Defective sweatshop made seat post for metabike. Minus 10 points.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 05-12-23, 10:27 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
I wonder if Peloton people ask philosophical questions about outdoor cyclists. Or is this a one-way street? I mean, there's very little similarity except for the pedaling.
Old 05-12-23, 11:07 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 333 Posts
no doubt... it appears that it's a " We'll send you a seatpost to replace the bad one, unless you can't operate an adjustable wrench, then take it to Dick's."
It's not that difficult: remove the stop screw and washer at the back of the seatpost (3 mm Allen key) loosen the horizontal adjuster and slide off the saddle, then loosen the height adjuster and remove the seatpost. Assembly is the reverse ...
People absolutely love to panic, and many can't operate an adjustable wrench, so....
I find it puzzling that such a simple problem (resulting in one broken wrist and a few scrapes and bruises) with such a simple solution (new seatpost) would affect the brand's standing. Obviously their previous recall was a big deal, but this one not so much.
Old 05-12-23, 11:59 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
What's funny is that for the price of a Peloton, Peloton users could've bought a real bike & a Zwift subscription. You know, have a first person interactive experience. But also have a bike to ride.

Maybe I don't understand the value of "meta." But when you're rich...I guess being yelled at by a tablet screen to manually change the resistance knob counts as recreation? I dunno, man. If anything captures the divide, it's this whole metaphorical thing.

of the few that I know with them bought it as they wanted a "clean" indoor riding option that is mostly quiet, can be moved around without much fuss & the for the aesthetics.
a bicycle on a trainer can be cumbersome, loud when working from home, require more frequent maintenance.
not something that I'd opt for with the price of one.
Old 05-12-23, 12:08 PM
maddog34

Originally Posted by Troul
of the few that I know with them bought it as they wanted a "clean" indoor riding option that is mostly quiet, can be moved around without much fuss & the for the aesthetics.
a bicycle on a trainer can be cumbersome, loud when working from home, require more frequent maintenance.
not something that I'd opt for with the price of one.
trainer stands can also impart twisting loads to various joints on the bike that would not normally be presented during riding.... maybe some folks didn't want their candy coated collector edition Colnago frame to break?
Likes For maddog34:
Old 05-12-23, 12:15 PM
maddog34

Originally Posted by grumpus
It's not that difficult: remove the stop screw and washer at the back of the seatpost (3 mm Allen key) loosen the horizontal adjuster and slide off the saddle, then loosen the height adjuster and remove the seatpost. Assembly is the reverse ...
I find it puzzling that such a simple problem (resulting in one broken wrist and a few scrapes and bruises) with such a simple solution (new seatpost) would affect the brand's standing. Obviously their previous recall was a big deal, but this one not so much.
dude.. CORK SCREWS with Extractor Levers are an evil, vexing, mystery to some people. Many can't locate the spare tire in their own car, let alone actually install it on that car...... etc.

PS.. i broke my wrist when i was 6.. it still hurts 6 decades later... and it feels really strange when the tendons roll over the lump... kinda itches, but different... fun to watch tho!

Last edited by maddog34; 05-12-23 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-12-23, 12:27 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 333 Posts
trainer stands can also impart twisting loads to various joints on the bike that would not normally be presented during riding.... maybe some folks didn't want their candy coated collector edition Colnago frame to break?
You wouldn't use that anyway, even on rollers, because sweat corrosion can be a major problem on indoor bikes. I recently picked up a cheap direct drive trainer, I'm thinking I might use it with one of my recumbents. :-)
Old 05-12-23, 12:32 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
hanging laundry on the seat breaks the seatpost?
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 05-13-23, 10:02 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
I wonder if Peloton people ask philosophical questions about outdoor cyclists. Or is this a one-way street? I mean, there's very little similarity except for the pedaling.
Probably not the conversation is more like "ewww gross you ride a moving bicycle outside where there is like nature and stuff?"
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-13-23, 10:07 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by base2

A Peloton isn’t intended to replicate a bike ride. It’s intended to replicate a spin class.