Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

It's only a flat...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

It's only a flat...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-04, 10:36 AM
Trouble
Sloth Hunter

Bikes: 03 Lemond Zurich (Sold) 07 Steelman Custom steel road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's only a flat...

15 miles into my ride I notice my back tire is bouncing more than normal. I know what that means, a flat is coming. In the past year I have had maybe 3 flats. Two of them were about 1/4 mile from the house and I made it home on a slow leak. The other I patched and used the Airstick pump.
So, I stop, pull the tube, new tube in, start pumping using my AS-1 Blackburn Airstick. About 85% full the tube lets go. I'm like, "what the F@#K?"
Pull the tube, right at the base of the stem there is a tear. So, I grab the other tube and patch it, put it back in the tire, start pumping, 85% full that tube lets go. Now I'm screwed.
I started walking and Ross, who I've never met, pulled up and offered me a tube along with a shot of CO2. 2 minutes later I was on the road. Mucho gracias Ross.
Now, I'm thinking the problem was the pumping action that tore the stems. I held the damn thing as tight as I could against the rim and tried to prevent any movement.
My rim strips are fine, although I'm going to replace both.
Both tubes were Specialized Turbo Ultralight and leaked where the stem connects to the tube.

I'm going to start using CO2 and carry two tubes (pay it forward).

Anyone have a similiar problem/solution?
Old 09-16-04, 10:55 AM
Melo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had similiar problem once, so I use my hand pump enough only to check for possible rim pinch, Then I use the CO2 inflator, Its the only way to go. I carry 2 or 3 spares cylinders.
Old 09-16-04, 07:21 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10991 Post(s)
Liked 4,662 Times in 2,142 Posts
I carry 2 tubes and 3 cyclinders. Even then, I've seen days in the winter when the roads are cindered/sanded and are a little wet where 2 tubes and a patch kit weren't enough. I generally carry 3 tubes on my tandem.
Old 09-16-04, 08:24 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You are being rough with the pump. Two solutions: a pump with a hose (Topek Road Morph for example) or a CO2 inflator.
Old 09-17-04, 05:49 PM
Trouble
Sloth Hunter

Bikes: 03 Lemond Zurich (Sold) 07 Steelman Custom steel road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I'm going to put a pump back on my bike, it's going to be a full size frame pump.
My seat pack now has; 2 tubes, 3 16g cylinders(100-130psi), a small inflator head and a patch kit.

The idea about maybe pumping in a bunch of air and then CO2 is a good idea, that way I can purchase the cheaper 12g cylinders that give you about 90-100 psi.

When are they coming out with a CO2 cylinder that has sealer in it? Or...tubeless wheels.
Old 09-17-04, 11:01 PM
bmph8ter
crackhead

Bikes: santa cruz blur, felt F50, motobecane super mirage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was bad about snapping stems and tearing tubes too. Then I got a new pump (Topeak Road Morph) and all my problems magically went away. I guess I'm just to clumsy to keep from putting sideways pressure on the valve stem.
Old 09-18-04, 06:34 AM
MaximusHQ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the topeak road morph with the hose which works great. The downside to it is the rather large size in comparison to the co2's