Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Motobecane Super Mirage - VO style

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-10, 08:33 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts

I found this moto a few months ago at one of favorite haunts. It already had the color match fenders. I added a worn B72 and VO bars with leather grips (which need redone).

When I was riding it, it was running 700c wheels with tektro calipers. Now I have a new project that calls for those brakes, so I'm returning the original running gear in preperation to sell. I really don't like how the front brake cable runs in with the stem shifters, so I'm tempted to install a set of barcons. I just wonder if it would make a difference in sale value to install barcons vs leaving the stem units on. I didn't like the VO bar, so I figured get rid of it anyways. Would $250 be too much to start out asking?
Old 05-02-10, 08:35 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
If you want to sell, sell it as a porteur bike. That's what I would do and a French bike is desirable in that condition.
Old 05-02-10, 08:42 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I would have never guessed that was a Super Mirage. I rode one in HS, and put thousands of miles on it. It was a conventional rode bike. Black and red, drop handle bars, no tape but a rubberized coating on the bars, instead. Thought about picking up another just for nostalgia....who knows. Nice find.
Old 05-02-10, 09:41 PM
Dylansbob 

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

I don't really like the front brake routing having to go over the bar. This pic shows it a bit better. Switching to barcons would alleviate by letting me run the cable into the housing stop a bit easier. Since I'm planning to sell the bike at my local bike swap this weekend, should I bother switching shifters or will would it add more appeal.
Old 05-02-10, 09:47 PM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends. How much are you into the barends? I'd like it much better that way myself, but at a local swap I don't know. With a big market like eBay I think it would matter....
Old 05-03-10, 03:16 PM
Dylansbob 

Got the barcons installed...

It does look better. All thats left is to clean the rims. The grips are racquet grips. Works alot better in theory than in practice, but they do feel good. I'm hoping with this upgrade I can hold out more than $200.
Old 05-03-10, 04:38 PM
SingeDebile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you dont get 250 for it I will be very disappointed... though ironically I am sure you could get atleast that if you took off all the gears, maybe offer that as a free upgrade... you can turn it into a single speed haha
Old 05-03-10, 04:52 PM
Dylansbob 

I just took it around the block. I didn't ride it much before, but I had forgotten how twitchy it is at low speeds. I think it should probably have a longers stem, but its probably not helped by the narrow bar. Being French, I guess it needs a couple of bottles of wine in a handlebar basket to handle right.