Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

smartphone training tools

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-13, 09:26 AM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

which iphone/android training tools are best (bonus internet points for free!!). what do you use and which have you used and deleted cuz they suck.

looks like I may be getting a smartphone from work soon, date has not been announced yet, but curious about what my options are. power meter stuff is not necessary, doubt i'll ever have the $$ for one anyway.
Old 02-06-13, 10:13 AM
Cowboy905
total Newbie

Bikes: 2009 Look 566 Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
i've used runkeeper and strava.

i prefer strava though as it also integrates with garmin if you ever get one of those.

tracks your speed, miles, ascent, descent, etc etc.
Old 02-06-13, 10:17 AM
bonz50

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
what addons would I need to use a HRM or Cadence? does anyone make those in bluetooth?
Old 02-06-13, 10:28 AM
bt
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
good for calling home when you break down.
Old 02-06-13, 10:38 AM
bonz50

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had planned on getting an edge500 this season, but, if a smartphone is on the way and I can use it instead I figure I can save a few bucks doing that.

are there any android/iphones that are ANT+ compatible? or are bluetooth hardware pieces the best bet?
Old 02-06-13, 11:01 AM
Cookiemonsta

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Strava and am very satisfied with it. I am not sure whether I would call it a training tool, more of a training overview but I guess you can use it as a training tool. My use of it is pretty basic though. I track routes, kilometers and how much I have trained over the month. I also try to top the leaderboards if I can. I am ashamed to admit I have actually gone out once specifically to tackle a fast one.... I did not make it, got in 3rd lol. It was fun though. It is silly, but also kind of a fun way to stay involved and track your performance over certain parts of your rides. You always want to be faster, but if you also go up in rank on some list by going faster, it provides this little mini-game that makes tracking progress and doing your best just that little bit more fun. Especially if you have a friend always trying to best you
Old 02-06-13, 11:03 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sports Tracker. You bring the HRM, they give you data for free. Everyone else charges premium for HR stats.
Old 02-06-13, 11:15 AM
Turbo231

Bikes: Trek 800, Free Spirit Town and Country, 80's Norco Nomad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use "Map my Run" and say I'm on a bike, however there is a "Map my Ride" which is based on the same idea. Uses GPS tracking and can report to social websites, gives you interactive maps, elevation changes, etc. I enjoy it. Gives me details about my ride I've never had before. This linked version is for Android. I use it on my Galaxy Ace by Samsung with Gingerbread.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapmyride.android2&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

Last edited by Turbo231; 02-06-13 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-06-13, 01:50 PM
Redfire

Bikes: 2012 Diamondback Response

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I currently use map my ride, it's pretty neat for what it is. I input what I eat manually and it tracks my rides so I have an idea of calorie intake / output. The premium version can do heart rate if you have a heart rate monitor that is compatible with your phone. Finding out which Android phones are ant+ compatible is a real pita!

With that said I am looking at standalone computers now.
Old 02-09-13, 01:05 AM
papawoody

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
strava is my favorite . just start with the free app and upgrade if you want more features .
Old 02-09-13, 03:28 AM
renegaderider
Sexual Napalm

Bikes: 2010 Litespeed C1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strava is reliable and super easy to use. Motivo is fairly new and great for indoor training, but requires an Ant+ plugin to get information.
Old 02-09-13, 03:33 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I know how to use a smartphone already.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 02-26-13, 01:29 PM
40SpokeOD

Bikes: Commuter, MB and road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do any apps give you step by step directions for a route you have already mapped as you are riding it again?
Old 02-26-13, 01:56 PM
Gatorfreak

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strava
I use Strava to log my ride but I never look at it while riding. I have a standard bike computer for that. Strava can use a bluetooth HRM (Zephyr HxM). ANT+ depends on the phone. I think iPhones have that. My android phone does not so I use the bluetooth HRM.

Osmand
I use this for voice turn-by-turn navigation to follow a planned route. Map the route on RideWithGps.com, download the gpx file and put it on your phone.

Real Time GPS Tracker
This allows my wife to see EXACTLY where I am and how fast I'm moving. If I'm not moving she can call to see if I'm just slacking off or need an ambulance. This is mainly to give her some peace of mind.

Battery power
With the gps going, your phone will likely die within several hours. I have a cheapo USB charger that I put 4 rechargeable AA's in and I keep it plugged into my phone while riding. After 5 hours my phone is still 100% charged.
Old 02-26-13, 02:10 PM
tpolley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i use map my ride. i like it because i can save the routes and go back to look at them later. i can see distance, speed, pace, elevation and calories. i can choose to make the route public, friends only, or private. i can look at other users routes in my area to see if there are any trails i didn't know about.

i also use google latitude, like someone else said, so the wife can see where i'm at in some-what real time. just in case i bust my arse.

there really ought to be a sticky on this. it seems like there are 150 threads on this same exact topic.
Old 02-27-13, 07:23 AM
Redfire

Bikes: 2012 Diamondback Response

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tpolley
i use map my ride. i like it because i can save the routes and go back to look at them later. i can see distance, speed, pace, elevation and calories. i can choose to make the route public, friends only, or private. i can look at other users routes in my area to see if there are any trails i didn't know about.

i also use google latitude, like someone else said, so the wife can see where i'm at in some-what real time. just in case i bust my arse.

there really ought to be a sticky on this. it seems like there are 150 threads on this same exact topic.

You can turn "Live Tracking" on in Map My Ride when you start recording and it will show your ride in real time on your account on their website so you don't have to use a second app like Google Latitude.