Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

freewheel removal without tool?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-20, 01:58 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts

i have a wheelset with an atom 77 freewheel and i'd like to swap it out for a suntour 7spd. any way to do this without the proper tool? i'd hate to buy one just for this one occasion that i'll EVER use it. thanks
Old 12-29-20, 02:45 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
Punch, hammer and vise. See Franko Franko's vid on Youtube.

Old 12-29-20, 02:55 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Punch, hammer and vise. See Franko Franko's vid on Youtube.
got it! don't have a vice set up. perhaps a pipe wrench cheater bar will do the trick?
also, i only have a two prong suntour fw tool. the 7spd fw i have has four prongs. how can i install it without a four prong tool?
Old 12-29-20, 03:03 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

While I wouldn't recommend a pipe wrench, if it's all you got you might as well try. Make sure it's a good fit.

For installing a freewheel you do not need a tool. Do use grease on the threads, for ease of later removal.

Old 12-29-20, 03:17 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

While I wouldn't recommend a pipe wrench, if it's all you got you might as well try. Make sure it's a good fit.

For installing a freewheel you do not need a tool. Do use grease on the threads, for ease of later removal.
thanks, again!!
Old 12-29-20, 03:19 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

I just looked at FF's video again, and there are just two very narrow flats on the FW body to work with, so be very careful with that wrench, or better: find someone with a vise.

Old 12-29-20, 04:31 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

I just looked at FF's video again, and there are just two very narrow flats on the FW body to work with, so be very careful with that wrench, or better: find someone with a vise.
i see what you mean. i doubt a pipe wrench could get a grip on those narrow flats. maybe i have a spanner that will work. in the end, i'm not attached to the atom. destroying with a pipe wrench wouldn't upset me. not sure how sellable it is, either
Old 12-29-20, 04:38 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
i have a wheelset with an atom 77 freewheel and i'd like to swap it out for a suntour 7spd. any way to do this without the proper tool? i'd hate to buy one just for this one occasion that i'll EVER use it. thanks
How far is the LBS?
Likes For oneclick:
Old 12-29-20, 04:41 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
The proper tool costs less than $10 and will save at least that much in reduced aggravation and potential injury if the Atom freewheel is jammed.

I've been so broke it was a strain on the budget to spend $10 on a tool or essential component. But it was worthwhile.

And you can always sell or trade it later.

BTW, unless the Suntour is a must, you might consider a SunRace replacement freewheel. I've used them for a few years. Outstanding values. And they use the more standard Shimano splined tool. I have Suntour freewheels and the tool, in a box, just in case nostalgia strikes. But I prefer the SunRace freewheels.

Incidentally, when replacing a freewheel, after greasing the threads I don't crank down the freewheel tightly. I snug it down just a bit with the tool and my long wrench (a foot long or a bit more), then ride and let my body weight do the rest. Easy on an indoor trainer. Or do a lap around the parking lot, standing to pedal. Doesn't take much to snug down a freewheel securely but still easy to remove later.
Old 12-29-20, 06:47 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
....... i'd hate to buy one just for this one occasion that i'll EVER use it. thanks
Sounds familiar!

Old 12-29-20, 07:19 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
If I were to loan you the correct tool, will you send me the Atom 77 when you return the tool?

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 12-29-20, 11:26 AM
HMJ
Long time part timer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
The proper tool costs less than $10 and will save at least that much in reduced aggravation and potential injury if the Atom freewheel is jammed.
This ^^^^^

In a prior life I tried to avoid getting the right tools for a job like this (bikes and otherwise) but I have realized over the years that, for me, the aggravation almost always far exceeded the small price for the right tool.

This topic is timely for me since just last week I had to purchase a freewheel remover I didn't already have. I realize I am fortunate to be able to buy it since times are tough for many.
Old 12-29-20, 11:27 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
got it! don't have a vice set up. perhaps a pipe wrench cheater bar will do the trick?
also, i only have a two prong suntour fw tool. the 7spd fw i have has four prongs. how can i install it without a four prong tool?
In all honesty, I’d stick with the Atom over the Suntour. Suntour 2 prong freewheels are a pain to deal with and going to 4 prongs didn’t improve anything. The freewheel tool doesn’t engage well and tends to cam out and/or tear the prongs off the tool. There was something about the Suntour that made them harder to remove (tighter tolerance on the threads?) and they had an inferior tool to do so. The 4 prong system often breaks on the freewheel body. Even today, when one comes into my co-op, I dread having to remove them.

Shimano, Sunrace, Atom, etc all use a much better system for removal and are easier to remove in the first place.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-29-20, 12:35 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
This required a vise, some soft wood, and a freewheel rebuild, but I did technically remove the freewheel without the tool (modified Suntour tool cracked the body) and without further damage.

Last edited by JacobLee; 12-29-20 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Forgot simething
Old 12-29-20, 01:05 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by canklecat

I've been so broke it was a strain on the budget to spend $10 on a tool or essential component. But it was worthwhile.

And you can always sell or trade it later.

BTW, unless the Suntour is a must, you might consider a SunRace replacement freewheel. I've used them for a few years. Outstanding values. And they use the more standard Shimano splined tool. I have Suntour freewheels and the tool, in a box, just in case nostalgia strikes. But I prefer the SunRace freewheels.

Incidentally, when replacing a freewheel, after greasing the threads I don't crank down the freewheel tightly. I snug it down just a bit with the tool and my long wrench (a foot long or a bit more), then ride and let my body weight do the rest. Easy on an indoor trainer. Or do a lap around the parking lot, standing to pedal. Doesn't take much to snug down a freewheel securely but still easy to remove later.
i totally get what you're saying on all points. thank you

as for the tool, money is money and there's usually more. and, of course $10 isn't much. i guess it's a matter of principle and the fact i'm already in the boat of automotive tools i've had to buy only to use once. i think i will take pastorbob up on his offer, though.

the suntour isn't a must per se, but it has the gearing range i'd prefer over the atom. otherwise, i'd just leave the atom on there. otoh, i have a 5spd 14-32 shimano freewheel as well. it has the twisty shimano teeth for better shifting, but i'm not sold on the huge cog gaps. kinda deliberating on the choice still

thanks for the ride to snug/install tip. i recall, now, having done just that before

Last edited by thook; 12-29-20 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-29-20, 01:11 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by SJX426
Sounds familiar!

i've got anywhere between $100-$200 in auto tools i'll never use, again. on top of that, i bought a shop press for doing suspension work that i might only use again (for other things) once or twice or year. it was/is cheaper than going to a shop by far, though
Old 12-29-20, 01:21 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
If I were to loan you the correct tool, will you send me the Atom 77 when you return the tool?
a month or few ago when i approached the idea of this swap out, i'd honestly wondered if i could arrange a trade of this nature. just what dr. universe ordered!

btw, is there anything particularly special about atom fw's? just curious. it's a 6spd 14-28
Old 12-29-20, 01:38 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by oneclick
How far is the LBS?
about 30 miles. i'd thought of a bike shop, already. they don't have the tool
Old 12-29-20, 01:47 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by cyccommute
In all honesty, I’d stick with the Atom over the Suntour. Suntour 2 prong freewheels are a pain to deal with and going to 4 prongs didn’t improve anything. The freewheel tool doesn’t engage well and tends to cam out and/or tear the prongs off the tool. There was something about the Suntour that made them harder to remove (tighter tolerance on the threads?) and they had an inferior tool to do so. The 4 prong system often breaks on the freewheel body. Even today, when one comes into my co-op, I dread having to remove them.

Shimano, Sunrace, Atom, etc all use a much better system for removal and are easier to remove in the first place.
i never had any real problem with them before...and, i have a few ST fw's. the 7spd in question here has lived on two bikes. the first, it came on a trek i bought years ago. i got it off of the 27" wheelset it to convert to 700c without much fuss. i can only assume it had been on for years, but don't know. for sure it wasn't as quick and easy as shimano stuff
Old 12-29-20, 03:51 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
a month or few ago when i approached the idea of this swap out, i'd honestly wondered if i could arrange a trade of this nature. just what dr. universe ordered!

btw, is there anything particularly special about atom fw's? just curious. it's a 6spd 14-28
Nothing really special, but it is always good to keep for spare parts, just n case.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 12-29-20, 03:59 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
I never heard of atom so I googled it to see what they look like. I stumbled across this vid that shows removal without the proper tool.
I hope it helps.
Old 12-29-20, 04:43 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by cbrstar
I never heard of atom so I googled it to see what they look like. I stumbled across this vid that shows removal without the proper tool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZCHJm_ZNIo I hope it helps.
thanks. the atom 77 is made by maillard. maybe that name is more familiar?

that is one of the videos i've seen already. pastorbob and i have worked an arrangement, though. he sends me the tool and i send him back the tool and freewheel in exchange
Old 12-29-20, 08:02 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
"for a few dollars more" you might get PastorBob to send you back the Atom freewheel with exactly the ratios you want
Old 12-29-20, 09:31 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
The solution is win/win here - nice of pastorbobnlnh to come to the rescue!

Oh, and a six-speed 14-28 is a very, very nice combination. I actually won an Ebay auction for one - also an Atom 77 - a couple months ago. Although advertised as "spins smoothly", in reality it was almost seized up. I had to send it back

DD
Old 12-29-20, 09:52 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by old's'cool
"for a few dollars more" you might get PastorBob to send you back the Atom freewheel with exactly the ratios you want
that's something i had not thought of!! is that really possible??? pastorbobnlnh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.