Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Living with/without a car

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Living with/without a car

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-18, 02:10 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by bp2k8
If one loses a limb and thinks positively they are viewed as strong and positive. If one thinks of it angry or seems grim about future its viewed as weak or negative BOTH are simply thought constructs. Not one is better than another and the same applies
Totally wrong.

The difference is easy to see and is quantifiable.

People who are handicapped through either accidents or from birth or illness and take a positive stand, go on to live Better lives--happier and more productive, and inspiring to others.

People who swirl down the self-pity toilet not only hate their own lives, they make themselves a burden to everyone around them.

If in your value system creating a burden for a lot of people versus helping a lot of other people overcome problems, are equal in value .... well .... think harder.

It seems to me that you need more time learning how to use your specific talents, and also pick up some minor communications skills. Not really easy, but not really hard, and certainly possible.

Look how well you are doing here? if on Bike Forum fewer than two thirds of the posters hate you , you are winning big.

But yeah, logical thinking ... thinking in general is not my forte, but you will need to master the basics.

For instance ... did you think before you said being miserable and being a drain on life was equal to being positive and being a force for good? Maybe if you don't post for a few minutes, then read the post ... you gush out all your feelings ... then go think about them just little and decide if that is really the message you want to send.

And if you think the folks in the Paralympics and the Special Olympics are no different than the guy in the wheelchair who never bathes and shouts rude things all day while holding out a cup ... okay. That's your opinion. So be it.
Old 02-26-18, 02:18 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
you are not getting it. Its not the car that I have a problem. Its simply a man made machine. Its everything the car embodies thats the problem. The false power, comfort, security that is the ills of mankind. The fact I have to describe this to you make sme wonder if you are even a cyclist. Do you cycle on a closed off track or something.

You have no relatives or yourself ever hit by a car? It does not bother you? This country is the problem in combination of cars. I am no speaking on Kenya as people in Kenya dont have the arrogance and ******** nature as some do in this country.

As for people not following nature even in Kenya...see above comment on masons, demons and the like.
Just cause someone lives in a natural setting does not mean they embrace natural living.

I will just end my postings on this topic here as no one will ever understand. Its funny how bringing up religion makes people uncomfortable. Do people really think we evolved. Are you folks that dumb? If thats the case you all must be pokemon and my question is what will your next form be/
You might be in the wrong forum. Politics and religion or A&S maybe? Your points would be more with their intended audience.

When you say a statement that contends something that goes , “If this happens then that will happen,” reasoning people will look to see if it can pass the test of reality. That is why dreaming unaccompanied by action doesn’t accomplish much.

As far as cycling I would match my cycling against yours. I could even point you to my participation in the old Furnace Creek 508 event. But that has nothing to do with what we have been talking about.

If your problem is with society there is very little I can say to aswage your dissatisfaction. But at least you are admitting the car is not the problem. You do know it sounds a bit like a Luddite when you put man made machines in the mix. As far as religion goes it is part of the forum guidelines so it doesn’t get the thread moved. Research is your friend and not all people you disagree with are pagans. Some worked as a hospice chaplain for years.
Old 02-26-18, 02:23 PM
bp2k8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
baphomet is wack

Last edited by bp2k8; 03-01-18 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-26-18, 02:29 PM
bp2k8

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
child of god

Last edited by bp2k8; 03-01-18 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-26-18, 03:02 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
American economic freedom is largely the product of individual liberty, personal responsibility, self-reliance and freedom of mobility which gives wings to initiative which in turn is the key to success.
@McBTC I agree with you! But how in the world does this refute my statements about people overusing their cars, eating improperly, believing they are powerful etc/.
Maybe you are conflating everything you hate into a single symbol of evil and not actually looking at each part?

Look---people can be creative and logical, Leonardo da Vinci told me once.

You make your own life tougher than it needs to be, by not taking responsibility for your own experiences. If you Feel alienated or angry or insulted ... that’s you. But if you Blame other people for Making you feel that way ... that’s you, too. if you don’t control your own mind, you will get batted around by people who hardly even notice you.

And probably half the people you think are against fall into that class—they barely notice you, while you think they are against you.

People are selfish, I think we can agree.

You are a person.

If you could Stop thinking about how you feel all the time, and care about others ... you’d find less to be upset about or at least different things. if you keep turning away from life pretty soon you won’t be able to function.

I understand how hard it is growing up being “different.” But you grow up. You learn. You grab yourself and give yourself a good shake and say, “I need to learn some stuff so I can function, and I Will.”

You don’t have to give up being the person you are now—you need to Augment the person you are now. Learn some life skills.

Probably you could give back a lot to this world—you have the imagination and the empathy that a lot of people do lack. But if you cannot Will yourself to grow and learn, you wil end up on the roadside holding out a cup begging for coins. (Well, maybe not .. I nearly did ... that or dead.).)

Maybe it is just that time in your life where you decide to take your life and your being to a higher level. Maybe this is about the time when that process starts.

By the way ... Everyone gets kicked around by the world. Sometimes we deserve it sometimes it is unfair, but it happens. You cannot be so self-centered that all you do is focus on the pain and run away crying.

Kids growing up skin their knees, get poison ivy and sunburn, maybe break a bone here or there .... part of living, part of growing.

Learn no tot care so much about the little stuff, and focus on what matters.

Logical thought may not be your forte ... but that doesn’t mean you don’t need it—and in fact you use it quite a bit, but not steadily.

If you Really don’t want to be an outcast all your life—you need to start caring about other people. When you really want to reach out to others, you will find the will to develop the tools you need, and your life and their lives will get better.
Old 02-26-18, 03:36 PM
bp2k8

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I am that I am

Last edited by bp2k8; 03-01-18 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-26-18, 03:42 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts

Its funny how bringing up religion makes people uncomfortable. Do people really think we evolved. Are you folks that dumb? If thats the case you all must be pokemon and my question is what will your next form be/

evolved, yes– all of us as science currently understands it are the direct offspring of fewer more than 200 breeding pairs (about the size of a large wedding party) who survived the last ice age. This heads-up is based on our current knowledge the human genome and statistics.
Old 02-26-18, 04:58 PM
bp2k8

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
you are a shell of what you were

Last edited by bp2k8; 03-01-18 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-26-18, 05:18 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Vide subsequent posts. This nonsense is spiralling out of control.
Old 02-26-18, 05:30 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Sad then. I would like you to then explain what love is, explain how oceans ere made, the sun etc. science cannot do anything but make assumptions and theories.

I dont want to debate in this thread anymore. If you beleive in evolution fine but answer my question Explain how a woman can have a heart attack from a broken heart? Explain what love is? Explain how one can cultivate energy even if fasting for 50 days like I have, explain divine protection and safety from accident or damage etc.
Well, I cetainly hope you aren't a science teacher! If you are tired of this forum, there is a whole forum dedicated to discussing politics and religion. However, you could also post stuff about living car-free here.

If you look at the top of the page, you will see that this forum is supposed to be about: "Do you live car-free or car-light? Do you prefer to use alternate transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here."

This thread is about "Living with/without a car".

Last edited by cooker; 02-26-18 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-26-18, 05:42 PM
bp2k8

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Old 02-26-18, 05:56 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

based on the thorough posts by @Mobile 155 and a few others it expanded into this. I did not spearhead the entire thing. I am done now as a few members on here actually responded from their soul and I appreciate it like Maelochs thanks.
I hope you stay and talk about car-free living, but it's up to you.
Old 02-26-18, 06:15 PM
bp2k8

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
its good for you

Old 02-26-18, 06:21 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

fair enough frankly im not hall of fame status but im ok been car free since 2008 and only drove for one year when i got my license in 2007. So 10 years basically. Prior to 2007 I did ride the public bus in philly and NJ. Would have been cool to go to school in California as when I visit i always see kids on vintage road bikes.

A lot of my frustration comes from lack of justice I see on a daily and I am sure it taints my communication and vision. However I will try to contribute to this thread in other ways.
There's also a forum on advocacy - not specifically for utility cyclists like many of us, but for all types of cycling.
Old 02-26-18, 06:30 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
fair enough frankly im not hall of fame status but im ok been car free since 2008 and only drove for one year when i got my license in 2007. So 10 years basically. Prior to 2007 I did ride the public bus in philly and NJ. Would have been cool to go to school in California as when I visit i always see kids on vintage road bikes.

A lot of my frustration comes from lack of justice I see on a daily and I am sure it taints my communication and vision. However I will try to contribute to this thread in other ways.
If you are serious, here is an example of precisely what @cooker is talking about:

https://www.bikeforums.net/living-ca...-question.html
Old 02-26-18, 09:17 PM
McBTC

So, science is not welcome here – already knew that – and, we're not going to start discussing the possibilities of what some supernatural being(s) want us to do... got it!
Old 02-26-18, 09:56 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by McBTC
So, science is not welcome here – already knew that – and, we're not going to start discussing the possibilities of what some supernatural being(s) want us to do... got it!
Is there some scientific issue related to living car free you are interested in starting a thread on? It would be great if you could start some new appropriate threads.
Old 02-26-18, 10:30 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by cooker
Is there some scientific issue related to living car free you are interested in starting a thread on? It would be great if you could start some new appropriate threads.
In the future living car free may not be as attractive a lifestyle as living carefree. Mobility has value and before long (travel by horse wasn't that long ago) science may help take us all for a ride...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20170301_jetsons.jpg (82.5 KB, 48 views)
Old 02-26-18, 10:45 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,179 Times in 1,469 Posts
Thanks to the several posters for getting this thread back on topic. It’s easy at time for threads to drift. I’m glad you took care of it.

Stan
Old 02-27-18, 01:25 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
easy... tell amtrak to stop being greedy and open their trains/tracks for a more public domain and proper usage or a similar setup to a flat fee of 5-10$. Trains are a very efficient form of transportation even older ones that are not as clean energy using like coal etc. Trains come every 45 mins or so and even faster for light rail style that do not use fuel. Between trains, and buses, and bikes I do not see any reason for a car. If for some reason a car is needed I think an app like uber could be used but it would organize a carpool for a specific purpose (and there are already apps like this) and also there would be a limitation so a person would have 3 of these passes to use a week. Something like that. 50% OF driving in my opinion is out of leisure and boredom and if that is the case just get a bike lol

Point is - it is very possible but does require some lessening of greed.

There are already cities doing quite well and its just a matter of stopping the car usage. NYC could easily be car-free but I think it takes more so legislation than convincing people
Good ideas for cutting back on car usage. Countries in the EU have committed to carfree cities by 2050. At this time it looks like the US will be a few years behind them.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-27-18, 03:00 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
However without cars there would be no fast food etc so people would have to resort to growing their own food as well as eating meat and wild game if they choose to eat that way.
I'm not sure we live on the same planet. I don't have a car. I eat fast food. I don't grow any food at all. No wild game (or meat for that matter since I'm vegetarian). I simply go to a variety of stores or restaurants and buy food.

No cigarettes in nature so if someone was addicted to this - closest aspect would be tobacco leaf.
Why does no cars mean that we need to cope only with what occurs in nature?? Just buy a pack of cigarettes if you want. You can do that with the help of a car - or not.

People would learn to appreciate all people as each individual has a unique gift from our creator to utilize.
How does not having a car make us all appreciate each other?
Old 02-27-18, 03:20 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trains come every 45 mins or so and even faster for light rail style that do not use fuel.
Here in Atlanta Amtrack has a east/west line with one train per day in either direction. OTOH light rail is every 15 min at rush hour and I think every 20-30 min till sometime late at night (but not 24 hours for train or bus - the bus doesn't run till after 6 a.m. which kind of irritates me sometimes).

Between trains, and buses, and bikes I do not see any reason for a car.
Neither do I personally. But many people find a lot of utility and convenience in having a car. They would not be agreeable with the way you dismiss their use of a car as unimportant.

If for some reason a car is needed I think an app like uber could be used but it would organize a carpool for a specific purpose (and there are already apps like this) and also there would be a limitation so a person would have 3 of these passes to use a week.
I don't think you would go far as a legislator if you're prepared to enforce your car rationioning on the public in general.

Point is - it is very possible but does require some lessening of greed.
So greed is what makes people drive? I thought it was convenience/utility. What is it they're trying to obtain by being "greedy"?

There are already cities doing quite well and its just a matter of stopping the car usage.
I guess by force if necessary? (since it clearly would be). Do you even realize what a small minority you are? Some people might react angrily towards what you say. But they're not even aware you exist.
Old 02-27-18, 04:10 PM
bp2k8

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
back to your normally scheduled program....

Last edited by bp2k8; 03-01-18 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-27-18, 04:12 PM
bp2k8

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Last edited by bp2k8; 03-01-18 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-27-18, 04:41 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You missed my previous posts. Please dont go digging without full context. If you are a vegetarian and do not understand what I am alluding to then you missed it completely. Its a spiritual thing and based on our creator. my no car request is to return back to nature i.e. cigarettes fast food etc does not exist. I am not back pedaling in this topic. good day sir.
Whatever. The post you replied to was a question of what the world would be like without cars. That's why I assumed you were on that topic. If you're going to fly off into spiritual land don't expect us to all know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.