Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Birdy Gen 2 - weird creaking sound after dropping on side

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-22, 12:22 AM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I "inherited" the Birdy from my friend and rode it for about 3 weeks without any issues.

However, one day I somehow managed to drop the bike TWICE on its sides in one day.

First time it was leaning against a wall and fell on the side.

The second time it was between my legs on a slight slope and I was playfully knocking it between my knees when somehow the wheels gave out and it dropped to the floor.

After the second time, it started to creak intermittently. Ride quality is completely unaffected.

When it first started, the creaking wasn't often, maybe when I rode hard or after about 20 seconds of riding. Roughly 20% of the time.

Now the creaking happens like 90% of the time. But when I put it on a bike stand and spin the pedals, no sound. It seems to emanate from the front half of the bike. Hard to tell even when riding.

There's no visible damage anywhere. I sent it into a workshop and the mechanic said he suspect the stem may be cracked/damaged and needs to be replaced, but that's not guaranteed.

Has anyone else ever encounter anything similar? Any advice would be appreciated