Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Can Campy 8 speed be moved to the bars? AKA:Stupid proprietary Shimano DT mounts?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Can Campy 8 speed be moved to the bars? AKA:Stupid proprietary Shimano DT mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-12, 04:13 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts

Through a VERY generous customer I am getting a FREE powdercoat job on a frame of my choice. Now, this got the wheels turning in my head, to move the Campy 8 speed with DT shifters to my 85 Schwnn Super Sport frame, the one I have been wanting to paint for YEARS! I was tearing down the SS Schwinn, when my eyes caught the dumb, stupid, &#%$^% proprietary Shimano friction shifter mounts. The ones that can ONLY use a one or two year at the most time span of shifter.

I would LOVE to keep the indexed Campy shifters, just for the "keep it all on one bike" factor, and of course ease of shifting. The main downfall is that the Campy downtube shifters need the post and square base mount, like every other bike made since the beginning of time.

I know, just switch it to Ergo and get it overwith, right? I just plain don't want to. For one thing the shifters work SO well it should be a crime, and I like the look and feel of them to boot.

Can I move them up onto the bars somehow? Would they even work on Shimano pods? If there were Campy pods, are they cheap and available? Is there something that can fit up by the brake levers? My budget will improve dramatically in a month or two, but for now the budget is low.,,,,BD

Post pics if any of you guys have done this! Thanks
Old 07-24-12, 04:22 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 913 Posts
File and shape before the powdercoat. You don't have to duplicate the square-tab braze-ons, just get the oval abominations out of the way.

One hour per side, use the concave collar.
Old 07-24-12, 04:27 PM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
10sp barcon mounts should do the trick, with the mounting bolts of course, since the ten speed barcons can be used on the dt as well. Mebbe a certified campag tech center or one of the well
known campy vendors sell spare mounts+bolts.
Old 07-24-12, 05:01 PM
Bikedued

It's not really oval, more like small round base barely bigger than the mounting post, with a big 1/4" wide tab sticking out of the front on both sides of the bike. It was originally Shimano 600 EX.

Which concave collar? Campy? Doesn't it need the square base so it won't spin around on the frame? The base on the shifter is flat, and only touches the frame where the square would be, The right side is also WAY bigger than the left. Here's the Shimano mount. I have a set of of the Shimano DT adjusters, and notching them to fit is no problem at all.,,,,BD

Last edited by Bikedued; 07-24-12 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-24-12, 05:04 PM
Bikedued

I guess I could get them burned off, and use a clamp on band I have from a set of Shimano Tri Color 600 shifters?,,,,BD

EDIT: Scratch that idea. It uses the same tabbed design... ARRGH, lol!

Last edited by Bikedued; 07-24-12 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-24-12, 05:12 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've got 8spd campy thumb shifters...
Old 07-24-12, 05:13 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Pending which downtubes you have we may be able to work something out.
Old 07-24-12, 05:15 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
And everyone says the French were weird.......what the heck was Shimano thinking??.......must be the same engineers who worked on their FFS system and Adamas components......

Chombi
Old 07-24-12, 05:19 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3817 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 2,952 Posts
Rivbike has some pods but you would need to find out if they will work with your shifters.
Old 07-24-12, 05:31 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Rivbike has some pods but you would need to find out if they will work with your shifters.
Campy indexed shifters are too large of diameter to fit. I have both and tried.
Old 07-24-12, 06:03 PM
Bikedued

The shifters I have are very similar to these, but do not have the logo on the ends of the levers. The fixing bolt is also slightly pointed, and there are no odd attachments where the cables go in, just a simple hole. Same general style, just a bit more utilitarian in design. It does have patent Campagnolo on the covers under the fixing bolts.,,,,BD

https://www.velobase.com/CompImages/S...D1F1A5241.jpeg
Old 07-24-12, 06:03 PM
Drakonchik

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
There are a couple sellers on eBay who sell downtube clamps modified with Campagnolo-standard square-base bosses (in other words the same bosses which the whole industry uses now if they put any on a bike at all).

So I'm fairly certain you could install your downtube shift levers on these eBay clamps.

Last edited by Drakonchik; 07-24-12 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-24-12, 06:11 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
The shifters I have are very similar to these, but do not have the logo on the ends of the levers. The fixing bolt is also slightly pointed, and there are no odd attachments where the cables go in, just a simple hole. Same general style, just a bit more utilitarian in design. It does have patent Campagnolo on the covers under the fixing bolts.,,,,BD

https://www.velobase.com/CompImages/S...D1F1A5241.jpeg
They will fit on Paul's thumbies made for Campagnolo bar end shifters. Pauls seems to have taken them off their site but I have an unused set for 22.2 bars with bar ends mounted to them.

I am guessing you have drop bars?
Old 07-24-12, 06:32 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Drakonchik is right if you want to go that route.

As far as the collar spinning on the braze-on; it's concave, it shouldn't.
The mounting bolt, when it tightens up, works just fine.

I did the same thing to the same type of bosses, but I simply modified both the bosses and the collar to mount the collars flush, and the shifter indexed just fine Like you, I thought it would spin, but it tightened up and worked just fine.

I can't see why it wouldn't work with Campy collars, but check to see if the collar is integral to the indexing first.
Old 07-24-12, 07:02 PM
Bikedued

I am confused as to the collar you're speaking of? Do you happen to have a pic? Is this a Shimano part or? The only thing these shifters have is a thin flat alloy plate with a stop bent into it for the lever. It has a square hole in the middle to fit over a standard
braze on. The shifter also uses the flats on the post to index off of, and I am not certain if I modify the plate to fit this odd shape, that the post will reach far enough into the shifter to catch the flats.,,,,BD
Old 07-24-12, 08:19 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

You're right. I modified one like yours to fit indexed DA, not Syncro... my bad.
Old 07-24-12, 09:02 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Would it not be possible to have standard shifter bosses brazed on, or is this a low-expenditure build?
Old 07-24-12, 09:53 PM
Bikedued

No frame builders around, and certainly no extra braze ons unforunately. At this point, since the dropoff day is tomorrow, I am probably just going to leave it as is, and maybe modify it later, or just buy some Ergo's. I guess It won't look that bad really. I'll miss that satisfying click though. On a lighter note, I have decided that orange would be a nice color. If they have a pearl orange even better. Striped lugs for sure though I haven't picked a color yet. White? Black striped lugs on orange always look too abrupt to me.,,,,BD
Old 07-25-12, 04:42 PM
Midnight Biker
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I know, I agree with that statement to the utmost degree.
Old 07-25-12, 06:40 PM
GrayJay

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
No frame builders around, and certainly no extra braze ons unforunately. At this point, since the dropoff day is tomorrow, I am probably just going to leave it as is, and maybe modify it later, or just buy some Ergo's. I guess It won't look that bad really. I'll miss that satisfying click though. On a lighter note, I have decided that orange would be a nice color. If they have a pearl orange even better. Striped lugs for sure though I haven't picked a color yet. White? Black striped lugs on orange always look too abrupt to me.,,,,BD
Wouldnt take a skilled framebuilder to do this. Take the bike and a junk donor frame with correct shifter boss to a generic welding shop and have them do the brazing, really a pretty simple 6-pack job (payment) with access to a torch. Just dont let them weld the tubing, stick with brazing.
Old 07-25-12, 07:42 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Biker
I know, I agree with that statement to the utmost degree.
This has already been adressed. Campy indexed downtubes won't fit on the riv pods. I own both.
Old 07-25-12, 08:00 PM
Bikedued

The frame got picked up. I picked out a Crescent like solid orange. I am probably going to order some white bike ribbon, and use either my Concor saddle, or the no name Italian one off of the Comete, shown in the pic. I buzzed off the offending tabs before I let it go, and will use some Shimano DT adjusters. I guess the finishing will have to wait until I get some Ergo's, or find some 8 speed bar ends. Does anyone know if they still offered white hoods with Ergo? Cable housing is already solved thankfully. I have some of that frosty white pearl I got from work. I might do custom decals too at some point.,,,,BD

Kelly Takeoffs shouldn't have any problems with the shift levers I already have, am I correct?

This is in single speed mode. I will keep it like this until I get the shifter situation sorted out...

Last edited by Bikedued; 07-25-12 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-25-12, 08:44 PM
Bikedued

I found the jtek shiftmate, only to have my hopes dashed, as the only 8 speed set of STI's I own are Dura Ace. Oh well.,,,,BD
Old 07-25-12, 09:05 PM
Henry III
is just a real cool dude

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts
You can use a bottle of MAPP gas to remove them and install new mounts. Nothing elaborate is needed and new bosses are incredibly cheap from Nova Cycles. Just don't try using brass to put the new ones on or you'll be sitting there till armegeddon. Just use silver brazing rods.
Old 07-25-12, 09:20 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Going for the creamsicle look, very nice

The frame got picked up. I picked out a Crescent like solid orange. I am probably going to order some white bike ribbon, and use either my Concor saddle, or the no name Italian one off of the Comete, shown in the pic. I buzzed off the offending tabs before I let it go, and will use some Shimano DT adjusters. I guess the finishing will have to wait until I get some Ergo's, or find some 8 speed bar ends. Does anyone know if they still offered white hoods with Ergo? Cable housing is already solved thankfully. I have some of that frosty white pearl I got from work. I might do custom decals too at some point.,,,,BD

Kelly Takeoffs shouldn't have any problems with the shift levers I already have, am I correct?

This is in single speed mode. I will keep it like this until I get the shifter situation sorted out...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.