Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

crappy wtb wheel?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

crappy wtb wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-21, 10:22 PM
jma1st3r
Scrubby duff

Bikes: Kona JTS, Norco Sasquatch 07(had), Giant Fastroad SLR 17(had)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
wtb wheel reliability?

I dont know too much about bike wheel brands... WTB seem to spent a fair amount on marketting so I thought they are reputable(as one would think). but their oem (WTB i19) wheel on my cx bike seem not reliable. I dont ride alot, and when I go out on the road, I'll need to true it once per season, and its not more than 750km..

where as Giant Fastroad 2017's stock wheelsetl held up to gravel and peble roads absolutely no problem, i think i was 10lbs heavier too..

I thought i reset the wheel today and relax all the spoke, wtf, its not straight on its own. I can true the db500 just by tension numbers and it will run straight more or less, not this i19.

just a odd bad wheel, or they are kinda like that?

Last edited by jma1st3r; 05-16-21 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-16-21, 01:13 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,023 Times in 1,940 Posts
they are imo an average product for the average consumer, not up to the elevated recreational use standards. Better than what you'd find on a BSO but not by much.
Old 05-16-21, 07:44 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 3,917 Times in 2,336 Posts
So we have one data point for each wheel. Not yet what I would call anything close enough to warrant much conclusions from. It only takes one "incident" (think of JRA claims) for a rim to become deformed and thus spoke tensions required to realign the rim are forever being challenged.

Some other considerations between the two wheels are spoke counts, rim profile and weight, tire cross sections as starters.

I have to admit that I generally take these claims/questions of "crappy wtb wheel" with a grain of salt, especially if little other information is provided. Andy
Old 05-16-21, 11:53 AM
jma1st3r
Scrubby duff

Bikes: Kona JTS, Norco Sasquatch 07(had), Giant Fastroad SLR 17(had)

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
So we have one data point for each wheel. Not yet what I would call anything close enough to warrant much conclusions from. It only takes one "incident" (think of JRA claims) for a rim to become deformed and thus spoke tensions required to realign the rim are forever being challenged.

Some other considerations between the two wheels are spoke counts, rim profile and weight, tire cross sections as starters.

I have to admit that I generally take these claims/questions of "crappy wtb wheel" with a grain of salt, especially if little other information is provided. Andy
point taken, i will look into the parameters and use case.
Old 05-16-21, 09:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4427 Post(s)
Liked 4,072 Times in 2,715 Posts
My WTB CrissCross rims are excellent and I have a set of the Frequency Team CX i19 rims on my touring bike and also have been fantastic. No issues granted these were handbuilt wheels by professionals but still zero issues with their rims. Though a part of me wishes for the touring bike I had done something a little wider internally but really only for the shear fact I am now running wider tires but again no issues so...

However yes any wheel could be better or worse at points depending on a whole lotta factors and saying well this one wheel does this and this other wheel does this doesn't really give us much. There could be an issue with one and not the other that has nothing to do with the manufacturer.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-17-21, 12:35 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 237 Posts
For what it's worth wtb rims are often available in wheelsets not built by wtb, and build quality has s significant impact on wheel longevity. My personal opinion is an i19 is okay for what it costs, but isn't my favorite.
Likes For cpach: