Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Riding my bike is not political

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-24, 04:09 AM
Bjorneas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Upon seeing me locking up my bike after riding it to church an elderly man commented, "Joe Biden would love this guy." (Context: USA)

I guess he meant that riding my bike was a politically liberal thing to do. That really bummed me out. This suggests that some American conservatives don't ride their bike because they perceive it to be a lefty thing.

I want more people to ride bikes and want politics to be left out of it.
Likes For Bjorneas:
Old 04-16-24, 05:51 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
There are a lot of angry people out there, and they're getting angrier (gee, wonder why...). Anything you are or appear to be, do or appear to be doing ... can be judged in a political context. I think a majority of us have had political hate speech thrown at us on the road by now, whether our riding has some political motivation or we're just out for a pleasant ride. It's part of the scene now. And it's not just cyclists, although we're easy targets because we stand out as unusual.

I ride in a pretty congenial area, but even here it is no longer shocking to me when I get "*******" (edit: "*******" - sheesh, even this is blocked) or similar thrown at me from a passing car. It's about as common now as suggestions regarding my sexual orientation (that's usually high school boys).

Last edited by cb400bill; 04-16-24 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Do not change the spelling of words to bypass the forum censor
Old 04-16-24, 07:15 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,683 Times in 828 Posts
Don't let others steal your joy. Be grateful you don't have to live or work with a person like that who jumps to baseless conclusions and offers unsolicited opinions.
Old 04-16-24, 07:38 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,683 Times in 828 Posts
Of course the perfect response in a church parking lot would be "Judge not lest you be judged."
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 04-16-24, 07:39 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 182 Posts
The problem I see in this post is not the bike commuting or the rude old man. It's the sad fact that here in America you feel strongly enough that someone is going to break a commandment and steal your bike while it is parked at a church to go ahead and lock it up.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 04-16-24, 07:44 AM
EJM73

Bikes: 1980's Viner Track Bike, Litespeed M1

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 47 Posts
Who cares enjoy your riding.
Old 04-16-24, 09:32 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2609 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 1,221 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Of course the perfect response in a church parking lot would be "Judge not lest you be judged."
Or "Bless your heart!"
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 04-16-24, 02:13 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 510 Times in 324 Posts
Well I think riding my bike is political. Not so much Biden vs. Trump but a simple statement that there is another way besides the gas guzzler hot rod means of transportation. That's what I am doing, transporting myself in a simple efficient way. BTW, church parking lots are notorious for road rage. And it's true. One of many reasons why I don't go to church.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 04-16-24, 03:17 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked 1,878 Times in 847 Posts
Leftish points for cycling: saving the environment, minimal fossil fuel use, reduce motorized vehicle dependence, closer to nature
Rightish points for cycling: Freedom to travel, individual effort, great outdoors, self-supporting, reduces costs
...and all the centerish stuff too.

Regrettably, people can make the "bike-left" assumption. In my usual riding group, we have a whole range of viewpoints from mid-left to seriously conservative. Same at the co-op (in spite of it being an anarchist co-op, a few rightists like the volunteering and playing with bikes). But in all these groups we get along, and try not to get under each others' epidermii.

At the national level, though, the skew is different, especially with "full-time advocates". I remember the keynote speaker at the ProWalkProBike conference in Victoria BC in 2004, who took it upon himself to disparage the then-current occupant of the Oval Office. He then caught himself, and asked: "How many Republicans / Conservatives in the audience?"

Three of us raised our hands - and we were all sitting together.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 04-16-24, 03:20 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
Well I think riding my bike is political. Not so much Biden vs. Trump but a simple statement that there is another way besides the gas guzzler hot rod means of transportation. That's what I am doing, transporting myself in a simple efficient way. BTW, church parking lots are notorious for road rage. And it's true. One of many reasons why I don't go to church.
I've been leading a Sunday morning ride for 33 years and counting. There are a very few times when we have a less-than-positive interaction with someone(s) who look like they are enroute to worship. Sometimes I just sigh and say, "I hope they pray for us once they get there."
Old 04-16-24, 04:24 PM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
I dunno why biking would be political.

Isn't biking pleasure? Freedom? Mobility? Practical? Self Sufficiency? Fun? Makes me happy?
If this is politically incorrect, I'd rather be incorrect.
Likes For mlau:
Old 04-16-24, 04:26 PM
SirLeaflock

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Priority Classic Plus Gotham-Edition

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bjorneas
Upon seeing me locking up my bike after riding it to church an elderly man commented, "Joe Biden would love this guy." (Context: USA)

I guess he meant that riding my bike was a politically liberal thing to do. That really bummed me out. This suggests that some American conservatives don't ride their bike because they perceive it to be a lefty thing.

I want more people to ride bikes and want politics to be left out of it.
unfortunately, riding a bike to a regular activity in the vast majority of the country is counter-cultural at a bare minimum, regardless of political party. Some places you might literally be considered a radical. Tides do seem to be slowly shifting, thankfully, and thanks to people like yourself. I have no idea where this happened, but it could be you’re the first person this fellow has seen riding a bike by choice anywhere near his social circles.
Old 04-16-24, 04:41 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Originally Posted by mlau
I dunno why biking would be political.

Isn't biking pleasure? Freedom? Mobility? Practical? Self Sufficiency? Fun? Makes me happy?
If this is politically incorrect, I'd rather be incorrect.
Someone, somewhere: "YOU'RE NOT DOING IT RIGHT!"

Oh wait, maybe you are doing it right, but that would mean you're not doing it left, but... never mind.
Old 04-16-24, 04:56 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4816 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,566 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
I've been leading a Sunday morning ride for 33 years and counting. There are a very few times when we have a less-than-positive interaction with someone(s) who look like they are enroute to worship. Sometimes I just sigh and say, "I hope they pray for us once they get there."
I laid the bike down on gravel on the road to not T-bone a family of church goers who'd just pulled out of an apartment complex to cross the road and go down the side street to church. They stopped to see if I was alright. I didn't know yet that I wasn't. Jumped back in the car and sped off so they wouldn't be late. I never got their name or license. 35 years ago and that ankle still has issues.
Old 04-16-24, 05:23 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked 1,638 Times in 1,052 Posts
Originally Posted by Bjorneas
...elderly man commented, "Joe Biden would love this guy."
Ha... And I guess if ya were tucking away a 5 iron he would have said "Trump..."

Come on man. It was probably nothing at all.

Of course back in my neighborhood in SanAnto they would have quietly said... Watcha...
Old 04-16-24, 05:40 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked 1,638 Times in 1,052 Posts
So let me elaborate. So in San Antonio what is the Colloquial TexMex term "Watcha"?

Ok, I will try to give ya an example:
There is a large stray brown mut dog taking a big dump on a busy side walk as you and your buddies are driving by. You pull over to the side of the road and tell your buddies "Watcha". A few moments latter you all see the brown dog over by a fence with another dog observing his recent deposit. You then see some young guy walking along the sidewalk with his face buried into a cell phone. As he approaches the dogs deposit you and your buddies see the brown dog turn to his companion and say "Watcha".

Its probably more funny in Spanish... Ha
Old 04-16-24, 06:20 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 902 Posts
This would be great in the P and R forum...

But not here.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind: