Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Gps computer recommendations

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Gps computer recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-21, 04:12 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4259 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 943 Posts
Originally Posted by waxcrazy
Waxcrazy here.....The reason I want a simple function gps is because I don't like wires or zip ties on my forks...I know it sounds crazy!! But true👍
There are non-GPS cyclocomputers that are wireless.

These do require a sensor. The sensors are typically zip-tied to the fork or rear chain stay. You didn't mention you didn't want that.

There are newer wheel sensors that wrap around the hubs. The ones I'm aware of support ANT+ or BT. I don't know of any basic cycle computer that uses the newer hub sensors.

A GPS would work for you but they aren't generally considered "simple". They typically have short run times. So, you'd have to recharge it regularly. The one that cyccommute suggested supposedly runs for 30 hours. The one that Iride01 suggested runs for 15 hours.

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-04-21 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-04-21, 04:36 PM
waxcrazy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I am going to check into the one he mentioned....I'm sorry that I got this turned into such a lengthy post ...I never mentioned the reason I wanted GPS ...but my reason was due to the simple look and no add on sensors or zip ties...Hey..lol..the name waxcrazy should pretty much sums up my issues..lol...When I was a kid and had my first sting ray ,the bike shop owner in town told my mother he never saw a bike so clean whenever I had it there 😂😂....and so it began...Thank you everyone for the response and different perspectives on things....I'll try to behave from now on....lol
waxcrazy
Old 05-04-21, 04:40 PM
njkayaker

I am going to check into the one he mentioned....I'm sorry that I got this turned into such a lengthy post ...I never mentioned the reason I wanted GPS ...but my reason was due to the simple look and no add on sensors or zip ties...Hey..lol..the name waxcrazy should pretty much sums up my issues..lol...When I was a kid and had my first sting ray ,the bike shop owner in town told my mother he never saw a bike so clean whenever I had it there 😂😂....and so it began...Thank you everyone for the response and different perspectives on things....I'll try to behave from now on....lol
waxcrazy
If you are OK with the shorter battery life and the extra complication (which isn't that big a deal), a GPS would work for you.

What was the issue with the Bryton?
Old 05-04-21, 05:03 PM
waxcrazy

Time was off by a hour no matter what I did to set it....Bluetooth connected to app for one day only and would never connect again after trying everything and it had no standing odometer, just trips that I could have saved if app worked ..I reached out to them with my questions but they never got back to me.... Instructions were pretty vague also... Wasn't meant to be I guess.
Likes For waxcrazy:
Old 05-04-21, 05:32 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,433 Times in 2,759 Posts
I find the grade and elevation gain features on the GPS entertaining. You might enjoy that if you have hills in your area. I initially bought a Garmin but the set up really taxed my septuagenarian brain and the thing wouldn't stay synched with my phone. I returned it and got a Wahoo which was easy to set up via their phone app.
Old 05-04-21, 06:40 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
waxcrazy
It doesn’t matter what you want listen to
Old 05-04-21, 09:35 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Wow, quite the measuring contest in this thread.
Old 05-04-21, 11:07 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
I have a Garmin Edge 500 that is no longer sold. Realizing that it won't last forever, I think I've found it's eventual replacement:

Garmin Edge 130 review
Old 05-04-21, 11:57 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
The Xoss one for $30 gets good reviews on Amazon. It fits Garmin mounts and has a rechargeable battery, making it just as economical to run on multiple bikes as any other wireless option.
Old 05-05-21, 01:51 PM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
I'm looking for a wireless gps computer for my bike...just need simple functions ... trip meter... speed... and total milage odometer, so I know how many miles are actually on the bike. Don't need maps or anything complicated..Any suggestions appreciated.. Bought a Bryton but am sending it back due to issues with it.
What issue you having with Bryton? I’ve had a couple now with no issues.
Old 05-05-21, 03:34 PM
waxcrazy

Time was off by a hour no matter what I did to set it....Bluetooth connected to app for one day only and would never connect again after trying everything and it had no standing odometer, just trips that I could have saved if app worked ..I reached out to them with my questions but they never got back to me.... Instructions were pretty vague also... Wasn't meant to be I guess.
Edit
Old 05-05-21, 04:03 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Edit
Just to be clear, I have not used the Cycplus. I looked at it for my wife...she still has wired computers...but decided I have enough heads that she can cover 5 bikes without having to swap the computer around all the time. But I haven’t used it so I can’t say how well it works or how easy it is to set up. It does get pretty good reviews for being simple.

I use a Lezyne Mega XL myself. It works well and does what I need it to do. It is significantly more expensive, however. The other one I used was a Garmin Edge 25 which worked okay but didn’t do well with slow speeds (below about 5mph) and it was very limited in battery life (8 hours or, rather, 7:59:59). I sometimes go on rides that are longer than that and missed significant amounts of mileage while on tour. The Lezyne has 48 hours of run time and it seems to be spot on. I can go for 6 days or more of touring without having to recharge.

You might want to look at Lezyne for some of their other offerings. The Mini is $100 and is Blue Tooth compatible. The Macro Easy is $80 but doesn’t isn’t Blue Tooth compatible. I would probably trust the Lezyne over the Cycplus just because of experience, however.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-05-21, 04:28 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
The Omata has been on my wish list for a while. It’s gorgeous with analog readout dials but GPS guts. The cost is a bit out of my range.
Old 05-05-21, 06:18 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 410 Posts
I use my phone. i got a Topeak phone case and bar mount for my iPhone. I have been using this setup for 5 years now, and like it. The mount is quite solid, it never moves or shifts, even though I use a rather large and heavy 11 Pro Max. Another good thing is that Topeak did such a good job on the mount that they have not needed to change the design, and once yo have the mount, you can buy the phone case separately. I got the mount and case for the iPhone 6S, and have simply changed phone cases as I upgrade my phones. I was able to more mounts separately for other bikes, so I can simply move my phone from bike to bike. I use the Topeak Panobike app which is free, and works very well. It keeps tracking my speed, distance, average speed, climbs, and descents.
Old 05-05-21, 08:07 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by billridesbikes
The Omata has been on my wish list for a while. It’s gorgeous with analog readout dials but GPS guts. The cost is a bit out of my range.
"Overpriced hipster jewelry." According to this:

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/tr...ta-one-review/

$700!

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-05-21 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-05-21, 09:09 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
"Overpriced hipster jewelry." According to this:

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/tr...ta-one-review/

$700!
Bikeradar, IMAHO, is full of Brits that are angry at the world and complain about almost everything.
The Omata would look prefect on a Vanilla Townie don’t you think?
Old 05-06-21, 05:35 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by billridesbikes
Bikeradar, IMAHO, is full of Brits that are angry at the world and complain about almost everything.
The Omata would look prefect on a Vanilla Townie don’t you think?
(That bike is kinda hipsterish too.)

If the OP is required to get the ($10,000?) Townie to appropriately-complement the Omata, he will have to wait a few years.

​​​​​I'd hazard to guess the Omata at $700 (!!) is way more money than the OP has any interest in spending.

The Omata is attractive but much less functional than the much cheaper Garmin 830.

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-06-21 at 05:56 AM.
Old 05-06-21, 09:32 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Lezyne Macro Easy. I was looking for exactly what you are looking for. I have been using one for about 2 years now and am very happy with it. I have mounts on different bikes, and it's easy to switch back and forth.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/S...u&q=Macro+Easy

$79 They often have 10-20% off if you sign up for their email.
Old 05-08-21, 01:31 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
XOSS G+. Very minimalist, functional and lightweight.

All wireless, compatible with most Bluetooth and ANT+ sensors (not power meters, although XOSS says they're working on that). It works fine with my Wahoo Ticker in both Bluetooth and ANT+ modes, my older 2012 era ANT+ Wahoo speed/cadence sensors, and XOSS brand earth induction convertible speed/cadence sensors (both Bluetooth and ANT+, I think). This flexibility enables me to share the same sensors with my phones, since the phones will default to Bluetooth while the XOSS G+ defaults to ANT+.

Supposedly it's compatible with four of the major worldwide navigation systems (BeiDou, Galileo and GLONASS), although in the US it will always default to GPS. I'm not sure whether it automagically defaults to other systems if I leave the US, or whether there's a firmware update or some other method to enable compatibility with other navigation options.

I bought two in January 2020 -- I planned to buy only one but they offered a second at half price so I snagged it the same week.

Works fine. Occasional minor glitches, usually fixed quickly by XOSS through updates to the firmware or app. Overall, no worse than the similar complaints I've seen from friends who use Garmin and Wahoo bike computers.

Usually the GPS trace is more accurate than my phones using Wahoo Fitness and Strava apps with the phones set to GPS only. Usually I run the location "enhancement" option that can resort to cell tower signals, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc., to improve accuracy. The XOSS G+ is GPS only, but is generally fine. If there are problems it's usually due to atmospheric disturbances or other stuff interfering with GPS signals.

It also works for my runs, although the G+ display isn't geared for running (no option to display pace, cadence, stride, etc.). But if I wanted to leave my phone home, the XOSS G+ is much smaller and lighter, displays and records my route, speed, distance, heart rate, even elevation, etc. And I can sync that G+ to Strava later, or save the data file for use with any other compatible software/utility.

But if you're worried about data privacy, particularly if you work in any job that demands security, I'd avoid the XOSS. It's based in China, all data goes through their servers, so the device could potentially be used to exploit security vulnerabilities. I'm retired, I don't care, so I use mine. But if I still worked for the military or government, I wouldn't use the XOSS.

So if that's a concern, stick with an app such as Cyclemeter (iOS or Android) or one of the Lezyne computers that does not offer any way to automagically wirelessly sync data -- I forget which model(s), but at least one Lezyne bike computer needs to be plugged in via USB cable to transfer ride data.

Last edited by canklecat; 05-08-21 at 01:38 AM.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 05-10-21, 11:56 PM
Geo_Zegarra2016

Bikes: Raleigh 2015 Revenio 1.0, 2021 Canyon Endurace AL Disc 6.0

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
This one is pretty basic and cheap. It gets fair reviews and it’s only $50 on Amazon.
This actually not bad. Do you know if this will have similar features to Karoo 2? Buying my first bike computer
Old 05-11-21, 02:49 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Just ordered one, not that I need it having the Garmin Edge 500 but it is getting old. So I ordered one to test it's functionality. Will be a backup in case the Garmin takes a dump.

I only use basic info

Not bad, case, mount, extended mount, and bands, and gasket. Free 4 day shipping.

Hey, when you get it can you tell me if it can mount on the stem? Looks like it can but I don't know how long the o rings stretch. Though I guess I could buy bigger ones if needed. I'm also looking at the Cycplus someone else posted.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 05-11-21, 05:17 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Geo_Zegarra2016
This actually not bad. Do you know if this will have similar features to Karoo 2? Buying my first bike computer
No.

It's a basic GPS computer with a monochrome screen. No maps. It's probably smaller than the photos show.

The Karoo (not a basic GPS computer) has a color screen and does turn-by-turn navigation and displays maps. The Karoo will do the basic stuff too.

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-11-21 at 05:21 AM.
Old 05-11-21, 06:37 AM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Lezyne Macro Easy. I was looking for exactly what you are looking for. I have been using one for about 2 years now and am very happy with it. I have mounts on different bikes, and it's easy to switch back and forth.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/S...u&q=Macro+Easy

$79 They often have 10-20% off if you sign up for their email.
I've been very happy with my Super Pro, about 2yrs old now. When I broke my Garmin Edge 200, I initially was shocked the current lowest cost model was double what I paid for the 200. I started researching Lezyne looking for something ballpark $100. The Pro was $150, but I thought worth the features so I "splurged". Still impressed that Leyne has a sub $100 unit and a $100 unit.
Old 05-11-21, 02:34 PM
waxcrazy

Ended up getting the Xoss on Amazon for $24.90 with applied coupon! It was exactly what I was looking for and is working great. I downloaded the app and that works great too...Thanks to all for the imput and suggestions!!! Gotta love this forum 👍👍👍
Likes For waxcrazy:
Old 05-11-21, 02:51 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yup, the XOSS G+ is a great buy if you can get it cheaper than the $50 list price. I have no real complaints about mine.

BTW, if you want to save some money, don't bother with a speed sensor. For example, XOSS and many others make earth induction sensors that are convertible between use as speed sensors on the wheel hub or cadence sensors on the crank arm. Usually the conversion is done by removing and replacing the coin battery while checking for the LED color change (blue and red).

I've compared many rides using GPS only and various speed sensors. There's rarely any significant difference. I'm wondering whether my phone apps (usually Wahoo Fitness) and XOSS G+ really do use data from the speed sensor, or whether they always default to GPS. But there's rarely any significant difference between the GPS and speed sensor data.

So I usually put the XOSS speed/cadence sensor on the crank arm for checking my cadence.

I also have a couple of older Wahoo speed/cadence sensors. These are ANT+ only, with both speed and cadence sensors wired together, with the unit zip-tied to the chainstay. Magnets are attached to the wheel and crank arm. This tends to be a bit more reliable than the XOSS brand earth induction sensor in cadence mode, which occasionally shows wildly inaccurate cadence (no way am I churning faster than 160 rpm).

The only time I pay attention to cadence is during deliberate workout drills on the indoor trainer, alternating between spinning 90 rpm or faster for aerobic workouts, and mashing 60 rpm or slower to work the legs. But on outdoor rides I seldom look at the cadence readout.

I used to average 90 rpm but as I got older (63 now) and lost aerobic capacity I realized I was more efficient at a slower cadence. So now I average 75 rpm. And instead of spinning up climbs and gassing out while preserving the legs, I usually stand and stomp up our many short, steep climbs around 50-60 rpm. My legs are usually close to getting cooked by the peak, but my lungs aren't burning and I'm not gasping for breath.

BTW, the XOSS has an audible alarm that can be set, via the app, to sound a beeping alert when we exceed our preset heart rate. I find that helpful for warning me when I'm approaching my maximum heart rate, so I know that I can maintain that effort for only 30-60 seconds before burning out. My max HR is 173 and I set the alarm for 160 bpm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.