Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike stuff that bugs you more than it bugs most people

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bike stuff that bugs you more than it bugs most people

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-21, 09:14 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Some say drop bars are an illusion for most.
strong reference.

Old 01-02-21, 09:22 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
I am most offended by signs of mechanical ignorance. The proper orientation of quick release levers ( both the proper side of bike and “aero” or visual aesthetic vis-a-vis the chainstay/ fork blade). When Brakes or Brake Cable hangers have a quick release and are set in the wrong position; when Valve stems are horribly angled to the rim; and absolutely most of all; CROSS CHAINING on a triple crankset! Usually the chain is sitting on the smallest chainring for the entire ride. Basically, any era or grade of bicycle should be operated in the safest or era preferred method. Know how your bike was meant to be used or DON’T ride it!
Likes For elcraft:
Old 01-02-21, 11:34 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Not so much that it bugs me, but I do a double-take when I see

someone carrying their bike across a gravel parking area (don't get the tires dirty?), or walking the bike generally, I don't tend to walk the bike more than 2 or 3 pedal strokes worth.

Also bmx kids with their knees bent double- ouch!

I'm sensitive to folks posting what I think of as "chicken little syndrome"- irrational fear of cataclysmic component failure. It's like a virus that gets passed around.

Not a fan of excessively clean bikes.
Old 01-02-21, 11:55 PM
Het Volk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
Any time one feels compelled to critique bike fit over the internet aimed at a person you not only have never met, but have actually never seen, consider what it sounds like on the receiving end.

"Hi. I don't know you and have never seen you before, but your bicycle setup doesn't look like it would be comfortable for me. I mean, that's not even close to how I see them set up in pictures online, or in the pro racing peloton. From what I think I know about you, I'd say your bike is too big/small, and you are using the wrong handlebars/saddle/cranks. I know you didn't ask, but I just had to say something."

Totally rational, right?
The point of this post was to air "bike stuff" things that annoy us. I will likely be with the damned B17, aimed at the sun, and handlebars above my saddle when I get older. Does not mean I will like the way my bike looks better than now.
Likes For Het Volk:
Old 01-03-21, 12:41 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 6,483 Times in 3,207 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
someone carrying their bike across a gravel parking area (don't get the tires dirty?), or walking the bike generally
Oh, man. That's me after riding a road bike to the park when the grass is wet with dew and goose **** everywhere. Sometimes, you can weave both tires through the ****, and sometimes you just gotta carry it and hope you can keep both shoes relatively clean. Sometimes, you try to sorta hop along, do the weave, miss a bunch, and are forced to finger flick the **** off the tops of the tires ... if all the clumps of **** can pass cleanly through the brake caliper.

Then again, my bikes might be considered "excessively clean."
Old 01-03-21, 01:46 AM
philpeugeot 

Bikes: Bike Friday PRP, Bike Friday NWT, Bromton M6R, 1991 Miyata 914, 1991 Miyata 1000, 1986 Raleigh Portage, many more frames

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 182 Posts
Biketiger Oh the horror! Well, at least you had the decency to keep those bits on so that someone can rectify your mistakes when you pass on the Ritchey.

In all seriousness, though, this is just my opinion. To each their own, and its good to see that old metal is still being used and abused, just the way it was meant to be.

Edit: sorry to seypat for tagging you.

Last edited by philpeugeot; 01-03-21 at 06:47 PM. Reason: wrong person
Old 01-03-21, 04:33 AM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
What bugs me are bikes that are ridden without a proper tool kit, pump, patch kit, spare tube, or money on board. I know it's not the bikes fault yet I feel sorry for the bike... The rider not so much.
Old 01-03-21, 04:48 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
What bugs me are bikes that are ridden without a proper tool kit, pump, patch kit, spare tube, or money on board. I know it's not the bikes fault yet I feel sorry for the bike... The rider not so much.
Be prepared, if you bring it, you will likely not need it, if you don't bring it, well........

Just to illustrate, I carry a dual mini pump that can also use CO2 and a fully functional oldschool Silca at all times.

I see your Silca hanging out in the corner there.

Last edited by merziac; 01-03-21 at 04:54 AM.
Likes For merziac:
Old 01-03-21, 06:43 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by C9H13N
Look at this lot. Country tourers, all. They must have left their knickers in the team car.

thanks to https://classiclightweights.net for the picture
The tall guy astride his bike clearly has his saddle much higher than his bars. That was the era of head tube length = stem extension = exposed seat post length being the ideal, with the stem nearly as low as possible.
Old 01-03-21, 07:08 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by C9H13N

I want to see the car....
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 01-03-21, 07:15 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
I rode for 2-3 years with a young gal, as I promised her dad she would be safe riding a bike. Her appearance was such that it was a given she’d likely be confronted, or at least harassed, if riding solo. DII soccer All-American. I maintained her bikes, but never looked in the bag that I installed, in which I have no doubt I’d included a CO2, lever, tube, patches. One day, it needed a fix, and I looked in the bag: $1.25 and a small bag of jelly beans.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 01-03-21, 07:31 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
The tall guy astride his bike clearly has his saddle much higher than his bars. That was the era of head tube length = stem extension = exposed seat post length being the ideal, with the stem nearly as low as possible.
Maybe?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/276956...posted-public/

or...

Old 01-03-21, 08:01 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by philpeugeot
seypat Oh the horror! Well, at least you had the decency to keep those bits on so that someone can rectify your mistakes when you pass on the Ritchey.

In all seriousness, though, this is just my opinion. To each their own, and its good to see that old metal is still being used and abused, just the way it was meant to be.
That wasn't my bike. I was pointing out the fork might be bent. Also, the seatpost and stem could have been above the safe install limit line.

Last edited by seypat; 01-03-21 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-03-21, 09:30 AM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
A couple of years ago my dad asked how the car we’d recently finished working on was running. I texted back that I’d traded it with someone in Pennsylvania for a Peugeot 404 wagon. My stepmom immediately called me while absolutely furious and yelling at me about how rust prone and unreliable they are.

I do really want a 404 wagon.
Old 01-03-21, 09:55 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by hsuBM
A couple of years ago my dad asked how the car we’d recently finished working on was running. I texted back that I’d traded it with someone in Pennsylvania for a Peugeot 404 wagon. My stepmom immediately called me while absolutely furious and yelling at me about how rust prone and unreliable they are.

I do really want a 404 wagon.
I lived in Germany during the mid 80's. The Peugeot 205 GTI was the hot Peugeot then. I still lust after one.

Old 01-03-21, 10:49 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
pugs!!! i've got an '89 505. i need to sell it for parts, though. the chassis has seen better days. rust
Likes For thook:
Old 01-03-21, 11:30 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Had to laugh on that tool bag with jelly beans. Bought a road bike at a garage sale with a nice Brooks saddle and tool bag. Get it home and in it is a container of weed, papers, lighter and a crescent wrench I believe they were using as a roach holder...that's all I need.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 01-03-21, 11:40 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,694 Times in 2,611 Posts
What bugs me are bikes in the road. They should all be on the sidewalk where they belong.*

*A passing motorist actually shouted this at me once.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 01-03-21, 11:43 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
What bugs me are bikes in the road. They should all be on the sidewalk where they belong.*

*A passing motorist actually shouted this at me once.
I've had that same thing shouted at me.
Old 01-03-21, 11:59 AM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
...since they ride e-bikes, they tend to obey traffic laws and actually might convince motorists that some cyclists actually do.
Motorists don't want cyclists to obey traffic rules though, and I know you don't obey all traffic rules, if a bike is a vehicle we should "take the lane" at all times, but cars don't want that, but they want me to stop at stop signs.

Hmmm, seems motorists only want me to "behave like a vehicle" only when it's an inconvenience to me and, they want me to "not behave like a vehicle" when it is advantageous to them. If I'm expected to stop at every stop sign, which I do not have to do in Oregon Or Idaho, then I should always "take the lane" as well, shouldn't I? You and I both know that is not what motorists want...
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 01-03-21, 12:28 PM
dmarkun
Slowfoot

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh International, 1979 Scapin (?), 1980 Trek 715, 1984 SR Maxima, 1993 Bridgestone RB1, 1998 753 Waterford X-12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Not so much that it bugs me, but I do a double-take when I see

someone carrying their bike across a gravel parking area (don't get the tires dirty?), or walking the bike generally, I don't tend to walk the bike more than 2 or 3 pedal strokes worth.

Not a fan of excessively clean bikes.
This is totally me on the first ride after a restoration. Love my bikes clean and dry. I used to work with an ex bike messenger who abused his Colnago. Once I fretted to him about getting caught in a downpour on my newly restored RB-1 and having to ride miles in the rain. His reply: relax, it's not going to melt.
Old 01-03-21, 01:00 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by jackbombay
Motorists don't want cyclists to obey traffic rules though, and I know you don't obey all traffic rules, if a bike is a vehicle we should "take the lane" at all times, but cars don't want that, but they want me to stop at stop signs.

Hmmm, seems motorists only want me to "behave like a vehicle" only when it's an inconvenience to me and, they want me to "not behave like a vehicle" when it is advantageous to them. If I'm expected to stop at every stop sign, which I do not have to do in Oregon Or Idaho, then I should always "take the lane" as well, shouldn't I? You and I both know that is not what motorists want...
Yes, motorists want bikes to obey the rules convenient for motorists.
Cross-pollination only works a little.
Old 01-03-21, 01:31 PM
seypat

I'll tell you what's really bugging me at the moment. I built a set of wheels on Thursday. The rims had the spoke holes drilled so that I had to start the first spoke one hole away from the usual starting hole. I've built 2 other wheelsets using the same brand/model rim. I don't remember having to start the spokes in different holes on those rims. Now I'm wondering if the spokes are in the wrong side holes on the previous wheelsets. I'm trying to control it, but the suspense is killing me. I'll eventually have to take off the tires/tubes, yank up the rim tape and take a look. Ugghh!
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-03-21, 01:36 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 6,483 Times in 3,207 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay
Motorists don't want cyclists to obey traffic rules.
Taking this further, it's absurd when roadies go well out of their way to express their opinion of my own disregard of traffic law.
Old 01-03-21, 02:00 PM
seypat

Here's something that bugs me and will surely bring a firestorm of flames. It's in the same vein as the rider who will not gear his/her bike down coming into a red light so he/she can take off fast from the green. The rider who keeps trying to get clipped in if he/she incurs some initial problems taking off from the stoplight. Get your a$$ to the other side of the intersection as quickly as possible and then get yourself clipped in for good. You are hanging the people at the back of your group out to dry in the intersection when the light turns back. For this reason I wish all riders rode with flat sided pedals on one of the sides. Rant over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.