Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Motobecane Century Pro Titanium or 2015 Cannondale CAADX Rival?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Motobecane Century Pro Titanium or 2015 Cannondale CAADX Rival?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-16, 05:30 PM
2 Piece

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by natemeister
Thanks natemeister, looks like they all have this groove on drive side.
Old 03-16-16, 05:33 PM
natemeister

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RedRockRider
Garcia, subjectively, I do think there is a bit more rolling resistance, but it is hard to tell if this is in my head or not, lol. The comfort, however, especially when going over rough or old pavement, is very easy to tell a difference, and on a 30-40 mile ride I feel less "beat up".

Hard to quantify the difference in tires, because I only kept one road bike, and it is a sub 17 lb carbon ride. It wears a 25 in the front, and I was able to shoehorn a 28 in the back, with about 1-2mm clearance to the frame, but they are still relatively lightweight road tires (Schwalbe Ultremos).

The Ti Century is about 5 lbs heavier, also, and less aerodynamic position, so on the same ride, I would say I average 2-3mph slower. I prefer the Ti Century on most of my solo rides, and usually only pull out the lightweight carbon bike when riding in a group, and want every advantage in terms of keeping up.

These are the 38's I put on. Really like Schwalbe tires, I have a set of 28c Marathons on my hybrid also. Killer deal at Jenson: Schwalbe Marathon Racer 700C Tire > Components > Tires > Pavement Tires | Jenson USA
I am in the same boat as you, my road bike is a Scott CR1 Elite and I think, around 16.5-17 lbs. On it, I run 23mm Continental 4000s IIs, so I feel fast and my speedometer and GPS says so, relative to the Century Ti.
On my daily commute, I'm using the Century Ti, with Zipp Course 30 wheels and 28 mm Continental 4000s IIs. My speedometer and GPS says I'm nearly pushing the same speed, just miss the acceleration from a red light Once up to speed, it's mostly battling air resistance any way.
Oh with the upgraded wheels and tires, the bike now weighs 20.4 lbs. On weekends, I swap on the factory tires with some knobbier tires to take on trails.
https://goo.gl/photos/vr9yrApyNwMmr4my5

I think I need to angle my handlebar down a bit but the hassle of re-doing the handlebar tape is keeping me from doing that.
Old 05-12-16, 02:21 PM
buddyrda

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey natemeister or anyone who has this frame,

I'm thinking about picking up a Motobecane Century COMP Ti and was curious how big you are and what size frame you purchased? I'm 5'11 with a 33" inseam and was wondering if I should get the 55 or the 58cm. Thanks for your input.

-Ryan
Old 05-12-16, 02:25 PM
natemeister

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Ryan, I am 5'8'', 31'' inseam and got their smallest size, the 50cm. I've enjoyed riding it and the utility it offers. I prefer to ride a smaller bike, as I take it off-road often, fire roads, single-track, etc. Let me know if you need actual measurements, pics, etc.

Originally Posted by buddyrda
Hey natemeister or anyone who has this frame,

I'm thinking about picking up a Motobecane Century COMP Ti and was curious how big you are and what size frame you purchased? I'm 5'11 with a 33" inseam and was wondering if I should get the 55 or the 58cm. Thanks for your input.

-Ryan
Old 05-12-16, 02:38 PM
buddyrda

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the infor natemeister, that makes me think I would probably be happy with the 55cm.
Old 05-12-16, 02:46 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by buddyrda
Thanks for the infor natemeister, that makes me think I would probably be happy with the 55cm.
Go with BD's sizing guide - If you like a smaller size, go with the 55. If you need more room, then the 58.
Old 05-13-16, 03:17 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So who makes the Century Ti? My guess not Motobecane. My guess would be Litespeed. Or are there some high end Chinese shop that can do Ti?
Old 05-13-16, 07:02 AM
Pendergast

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
So who makes the Century Ti? My guess not Motobecane. My guess would be Litespeed. Or are there some high end Chinese shop that can do Ti?

Most likely it's ORA Engineering in Taiwan. That's who has made the other Motobecane titanium bikes.

https://www.oraeng.com.tw/eng/

Last edited by Pendergast; 05-13-16 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-13-16, 07:42 AM
2 Piece

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
Nope, mine says ORA and it is a very nice frame. I don't think Litespeed, Lynskey, or Moots make TI frames for rebranding.

I am 6'1 with 32" pant inseam and have the 58cm Century Pro TI hyd disc, and it fits me perfectly. I did reverse the stem to raise the drop bars a little.
I used the online fit calculator at Competitive Cyclist and it was just about spot on for me. Bike Fit Calculator | Find Your Bike Size | Competitive Cyclist
Old 05-13-16, 08:06 AM
Pendergast

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2 Piece
I don't think Litespeed, Lynskey, or Moots make TI frames for rebranding
Lynskey makes Kona's titanium bikes. I'm thinking they make somebody else's titanium bikes, too. Salsa, maybe? I can't remember for certain.
Old 05-23-16, 06:45 AM
qualia8

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pendergast
Lynskey makes Kona's titanium bikes. I'm thinking they make somebody else's titanium bikes, too. Salsa, maybe? I can't remember for certain.
Yeah, I ride a Kona Rove Ti, made by Lynskey. But there is prominent Lynskey badging.
Old 05-24-16, 02:24 PM
will be was

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 14 Posts
Moto Fantom Cross TI

Has about little over 4000 miles, all original, except tires, and two new chains,
Moto Fantom Cross TI 49cm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
WP_20160419_008.jpg (104.8 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg
team ti 006 (Medium).jpg (102.9 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by will be was; 05-24-16 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-24-16, 02:29 PM
mattswa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the Ora Engineering website the frame is model number 17-CX-301, but without the internal cable routing: