Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Ford muon by Dahon

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Ford muon by Dahon

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-16, 05:59 PM
Egg105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ford muon by Dahon

How does Ford Muon by Dahon compare to Dahon Mariner - the Ford one is considerably cheaper - what's the catch?
Old 11-06-16, 10:31 PM
RandyO

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought one and returned it. Didn't like it - seemed kinda cheap with low-end components. I think you'd be happier spending a little more for a Dahon Mariner or a Tern. I bought my wife a Tern Link D8 and it's a great bike ($750). They make similar bikes for less money. Nobody ever regretted buying a Dahon Mariner. Allen bikes also makes some reasonably priced folders - all better made than the Ford Muon by Dahon (IMHO).
Old 11-07-16, 07:07 AM
Rick Imby

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
+1 to the previous post. There are a lot of little things that you can build cheaper or better on a bike. Bikes are put to the torture test with a 200 pound person putting power into a 25 pound --or 30+ pound Ford---Bike.

I'm not sure how the marketing company that sells the Dahon Ford does it but they have licensed the Ford name and had Dahon build folding bikes to the lower spec.

However if you are buying a folder to use** I would recommend going a couple of steps up in the Dahon line to the p8 level. the addition of lighter wheels, cassettes gears, and more aluminum parts are well worth the extra price. Currently the Speed p8, Mu p8,p10,p11 and Vigor p9 are great values. The Mariner is also a much finer bike than the Fords.

*Bought to use or bought to have? A lot of low end bikes get bought and then put in the Garage and never used. The ride of a more expensive bike is more likely to get you addicted to riding---a great addiction. Good Quality stuff never goes out of style.

Last edited by Rick Imby; 11-07-16 at 07:12 AM.
Old 11-07-16, 07:38 AM
Still Pedaling

Bikes: Brompton and Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Egg105
How does Ford Muon by Dahon compare to Dahon Mariner - the Ford one is considerably cheaper - what's the catch?
I don't know about the Ford model, but I was serious about the Mariner before. Of most of the Dahon bikes, I really liked the Mariner. I liked the fact that it was built to handle inclement weather better than most bikes. But since I live in the bloody desert, this really isn't much of an issue for me.
Old 11-07-16, 12:38 PM
Egg105

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your help and advice

QUOTE=RandyO;19174206]I bought one and returned it. Didn't like it - seemed kinda cheap with low-end components. I think you'd be happier spending a little more for a Dahon Mariner or a Tern. I bought my wife a Tern Link D8 and it's a great bike ($750). They make similar bikes for less money. Nobody ever regretted buying a Dahon Mariner. Allen bikes also makes some reasonably priced folders - all better made than the Ford Muon by Dahon (IMHO).[/QUOTE]