Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized Sue War Vet For use of Roubaix??

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Specialized Sue War Vet For use of Roubaix??

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-13, 09:53 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
I just visited Dan's Facebook page. The outpouring of support is overwhelming!
I just ordered his T-Shirt.

Old 12-08-13, 09:57 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Would Pinarello sue this poor guy if he had named his shop (and wheels) The Dogma Cycle Cafe? I sincerely doubt it.
Pinarello hasn't trademarked "Dogma." However, they have trademarked "Opera" in Canada, and "Most" in the US. If they heard about a guy selling "Opera Wheels" or "Most Mudguards," their response would be the same.

I have no doubt that companies -- including ones you like -- send out letters on a routine basis to protect their trademarks, we just don't know about it.

I'm also fairly confident that if someone in the next town opened their own "Cafe Roubaix Bike Studio," the owner would have hit the ceiling.

It seems, however, that in this particular case Specialized would have had little to lose by letting the man continue to run his shop....
Again, he's also building and selling wheels using the word "Roubaix." If they don't defend it, then "Roubaix" could be classified as a generic term, and they will lose the mark.

Slapping the name Roubaix on one of their bikes is like Trek using the name Domane for one of its bike line. It is simply an effort to connect a cycling product to a region rich with cycling history.
According to Trek's trademark filing: "The wording 'DOMANE' has no meaning in a foreign language."

Anyway.... It's legal to use place names in trademarks. Cities like Avignon, Tokyo, Dublin are all trademarked for specific uses. There are roughly 35 live trademarks that include the word "Belgium" (or "Belgique"), and 75 live trademarks that include the name "Provence."

Companies do this all the time; for example the Star Wars people sold a license to the Lego people so Legos could sell its SW line of building toys.
Erm... That's a merchandising deal, which Lucas has done from the start. Lego didn't start making Star Wars kits and assume it would be OK because "Stars" and "Wars" are terms in general use. They put together a deal before manufacturing the sets... and Lucas is certainly getting paid more than $1.

In this case, you have a bike shop that is making and selling wheels using a trademark, without asking first. The shop owner didn't understand trademark law (surprise!), and made a mistake.

Besides, there's already a merchandising deal in place. Fuji licenses "Roubaix" to Specialized in the US, and vice versa for Canada. Licensing it to every vet who wants to run a bike shop will erode the trademark.

I have no desire to buy any Specialized product.
I suspect most of the people who are objecting so strenuously have already decided to "never buy Specialized" already. I don't think they're going to lose any sales here.
Old 12-08-13, 10:01 AM
brian416
Roadie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
It seems like the problem is that they were allowed to trademark the name of a town in the first place. It doesn't make sense to allow companies to trademark the name of a city.
Old 12-08-13, 10:06 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Wesley36
While not a direct donation, it seems like a number of people are buying Cafe Roubaix t-shirts, as it is the easiest way to support them:

https://www.caferoubaix.ca/on-line-st...=0&sort=normal

I think the merino wool jerseys look sharp as well...
My guess is this publicity will end up being a net positive for the shop owner. He just needs to find a way to keep the wool jerseys in stock

As for those complaining about trademarking a city name, we don't have any problem giving out trademarks for fruit so I don't see why cities aren't fair game. Try marketing a wireless service in Canada with Blackberry in the name and see if you don't get a visit from a nasty corporate lawyer.
Old 12-08-13, 10:10 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Originally Posted by DaveWC
There are courts of law and courts of public opinion. Specialized may well win this case in the court of law....
There are no court proceedings.

It's funny to say that Specialize is ok because every company does this but that overlooks that it's lawsuits like these that cause people to choose the little guy to build their bike....
The "little bike builder" is buying components from Shimano ($2.6 billion in revenues in 2012) or SRAM (roughly $500 million in annual revenues), and the likes of Mavic (Amer Sports, roughly $1.4 billion in annual revenues).

Plus, most people can't afford bikes built by the "little guy."

Saying everybody does it doesn't make it right, nor does it make me want to support that behavior. This is a black eye for Specialized if enough people believe it's a black eye.
No, it's right because it's right. Specialized has a trademark, and they're protecting their trademark. The shop owner made a mistake, because he didn't understand trademark law. He isn't allowed to violate trademark laws just because he runs a small business or is a vet.

The reason to point out that "everyone does it" is because everyone does it. Whooever you are rooting for will almost certainly do the same thing in the same situation. Cannondale will not let you sell "Slice Wheels," Pinarello will not let you sell "Pinarello Bar Tape." LucasFilms fires off nastygrams all the time. Just because you don't hear about every letter sent by a company lawyer doesn't mean it never happens.
Old 12-08-13, 10:18 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Dave, it is actually not all that clear that Specialized would win this one in a court of law. As you pointed out, they already lost in the court of public opinion.

Go Canada!
Old 12-08-13, 10:21 AM
DaveWC

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
There are no court proceedings.
Yes, there are. If there are none in this case that will only be because the defendant cannot afford the cost of a defense. It doesn't change the statement I made.

The "little bike builder" is buying components from Shimano ($2.6 billion in revenues in 2012) or SRAM (roughly $500 million in annual revenues), and the likes of Mavic (Amer Sports, roughly $1.4 billion in annual revenues).
That's interesting but irrelevant to the idea of people switching from large builders to small.

Plus, most people can't afford bikes built by the "little guy."
Good to know. If I'm considering a Tarmac SL4 I cannot choose a small builder instead. Most people won't be aware of this case. Most people won't buy Specialized regardless. Most people buy from a department store. None of the issues in this story will affect "most people". But good point otherwise.

No, it's right because it's right. Specialized has a trademark, and they're protecting their trademark. The shop owner made a mistake, because he didn't understand trademark law. He isn't allowed to violate trademark laws just because he runs a small business or is a vet.
It's legally correct but as I said, consumers can decide for themselves what is right, regardless of your opinion.
Old 12-08-13, 10:29 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,383 Times in 7,211 Posts
Is Specialized threatening Fuji with legal action ??

Old 12-08-13, 10:32 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...of course, if not, the next question might be, "Why not ?"
Old 12-08-13, 10:34 AM
gregf83 

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...of course, if not, the next question might be, "Why not ?"
That question was already asked and answered in this thread.
Old 12-08-13, 10:40 AM
ss600

Bikes: 2014 Giant Propel Advanced SL, 2012 CAAD 10-4, 2013 Norco Nitro, Custom Fixed Gear

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It turns out that Specialized and Fuji had this talk already. Fuji was going to go after Specialized but, instead, to forego the legal fees and litigation, Specialized let Fuji use their 4-bar suspension setup. They both proceed happily. I am still not sure why Specialized couldn't have done something similar with Cafe Roubaix.
Old 12-08-13, 10:42 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
I always love the 'boycott' attitude. I will never buy an Apple product...or I will never buy another Chevy because...
There is the product, good or bad..generally a mixture of both, the vast amount of people that create said product and then a handful of corporate puke lawyers that decide to litigate because they can and feel a need to which is totally disconnected from the integrity of the product and the people that create it. If I had this attitude and did my homework thoroughly, I would be living in a tent except dam Omar I just found out sued some guy because his tent stakes were similar...so now I must live in a tree fort.

Average Joe has no idea about the world of law suits. If there is a grey area the public is completely ignorant about, it is the companies...and this includes name brand companies that ship safety critical product, knowing that on a statistical basis, there is no such thing as a perfectly safe, safety critical product. There is no ideal world, just shades of grey.
I have to agree here. I used to have the Apple boycott syndrome. Eventually I figured out it's not worth the time and energy. Just buy crap and spend the time and energy focused on things that really matter.
Old 12-08-13, 10:49 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by gregf83
Originally Posted by ss600
It turns out that Specialized and Fuji had this talk already. Fuji was going to go after Specialized but, instead, to forego the legal fees and litigation, Specialized let Fuji use their 4-bar suspension setup. They both proceed happily. I am still not sure why Specialized couldn't have done something similar with Cafe Roubaix.
....thank you. So basically all the guys stating that Specialized really has no choice but to pursue the issue
with this particular businessman or risk losing their trademark rights are kinda ignoring the obvious here ?

The obvious being that there's another line of bikes and at least one tire made in Italy already carrying the name.
Old 12-08-13, 10:54 AM
gregf83 

....thank you. So basically all the guys stating that Specialized really has no choice but to pursue the issue
with this particular businessman or risk losing their trademark rights are kinda ignoring the obvious here ?

The obvious being that there's another line of bikes and at least one tire made in Italy already carrying the name.
They did a cross licensing or similar deal with Fuji. The little bike shop and everyone else who wants to infringe the trademark isn't in a position to cross-license. They wouldn't be able to afford it.

Of course they have a choice. They could give away the rights to the trademark they have been investing in for years. They just chose not to.
Old 12-08-13, 10:55 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...on a side note, in the Volagi case, Specialized won. They were awarded a dollar
as their damages, and it is not difficult to understand that in that particular case,
their litigious history was used as part of the defense. In that case, it worked well.

The company has finally achieved the reputation as a plaintiff in too many such cases,
and such a reputation eventually earns the rewards of going too many times to the well.

Last edited by 3alarmer; 12-08-13 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-08-13, 10:57 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

So basically all the guys stating that Specialized really has no choice but to pursue the issue with this particular businessman or risk losing their trademark rights are kinda ignoring the obvious here ?
Nope. Fuji and Specialized made a legal arrangement for mutual use of the trademark.

If I start selling "Roubaix Wheels" in the US, chances are pretty good I'll get a "pleasant" letter from Fuji's lawyers.
Old 12-08-13, 11:00 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
As was the fact that the owner DID do a search but thought the name would be ok. Also mentioned was the fact that his lawyer agreed and feels he has a strong case and that the real issue is about the prohibitive cost of litigation.

Old 12-08-13, 11:03 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Nope. Fuji and Specialized made a legal arrangement for mutual use of the trademark.

If I start selling "Roubaix Wheels" in the US, chances are pretty good I'll get a "pleasant" letter from Fuji's lawyers.
...how does that dictate the company's "choice" in this or many other cases.

I don't get the argument that, "They hadda do it, or their corporate branding would come crashing down."
And I'm sorry, but I think it unlikely that your further explanations of it in those terms will sway me.
Old 12-08-13, 11:09 AM
gregf83 

Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
As was the fact that the owner DID do a search but thought the name would be ok. Also mentioned was the fact that his lawyer agreed and feels he has a strong case and that the real issue is about the prohibitive cost of litigation.
If he had a strong case it wouldn't cost $150k. His lawyer thinks he has a case and is willing to bill his client $150k to see if he's right.

It's not clear the owner did a trademark search. He says he did his research and thought he'd be OK. It's likely he didn't have much business experience and certainly no experience in trademark law.

I'm not an expert in trademark law but my business sense would have told me it would be flirting with danger to build bike parts and attempt to use the name 'Roubaix' as a brand.

If you think Specialized is being harsh you should have been in Vancouver when the Olympics came to town and forced small restaurant owners who'd been in business for many years to remove the word Olympic from their name.
Old 12-08-13, 11:11 AM
Smokehouse

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
*EDIT*

I guess I still don't get why people are shocked or outraged at this. A company owns the right to make an item with a name on it, some other company makes a product with that same name without permission. End of story. He's making, and selling wheels with a trademarked name on it. It's doesn't matter if it's "mickey Mouse wheels", "Nintendo wheels", or "cherry Coke wheels"…he took a name, that legally belongs to another company, made a product with the same name on it and you all are making this out to be some "David vs Goliath" thing when its not. He made the poor choice to do it, it was his legal responsibility to do the homework. I can start making my own car, calling it a Mustang and post that I'm being bullied by the big, bad Ford company when they take me to court...

As usual, the always colorful internet attempts to color things with "he's a vet OMGWTFBBQ!!!" Or "he just used the word to name his company!!!" But skip right over...or deeply bury the item name part.

This tripe is actually in the story:

“I’ve gone through some very intense (post-traumatic stress disorder) therapy in the last year. Forcing myself to get out there into the public and the business world has taken a huge effort,” he says. “I’m just at the point were we think this might fly, so this was a huge hit for me personally.”

Seriously? They felt the need to play up this guys plight, although he is clearly breaking the law and using his mental state as some sort of "we should let him be" tripe.

This kind of garbage is what is ripping This (and other countries) apart. Letting people get by with illegal acts/stupidity because of some sob story.

Legal is legal and the system is in place. The fella is using a name for item that is already owned...it doesn't matter how big, or small his company is or what he was before he owned a bike shop. He is doing something illegal, end of story.

Last edited by Smokehouse; 12-08-13 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-08-13, 11:19 AM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Why name a store after a bike that looks like a dog dropping a deuce? Cafe "Grumpy Dumpy" already taken? Putting on Kevlar underwear now...
Old 12-08-13, 11:21 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

...how does that dictate the company's "choice" in this or many other cases.
I'm not sure what is unclear.

Trademark law requires that you have to defend your trademark if you want to keep it active. If a bunch of people started calling their bikes "Roubaix," and Fuji did nothing about it, they'd lose the trademark.

The fact that Fuji and Specialized made a deal doesn't change this requirement of trademark law, it doesn't make the trademark generic, and it doesn't obligate Specialized to make a deal with the shop owner. It's not that complicated.
Old 12-08-13, 11:30 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Are you trying to say that this discussion has become repetitive to the point that one wonders if people are actually reading prior comments?
Old 12-08-13, 11:31 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Yeah, people keep saying the same things over and over - is no one paying attention?
Old 12-08-13, 11:34 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...what's this thread about ?tm rjones28

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.