Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

race vs endurance fit pros and cons

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-15, 10:28 AM
B1KE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone,

I have a Secteur endurance bike and I've recently flipped the stem to get a more aero feel. I have yet to take it out on a long ride to feel how comofrtable it is but I was wondering.

1. What are the pros and cons of a race fit/position

2. What are the pros and cons of a endurance fit/position?
Old 04-27-15, 10:34 AM
happyscientist

Bikes: C'Dale Synapse, Surly Disc Trucker, Giant Trance, Orbea Avant

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Endurance fit is more comfortable for long rides, especially if you don't have great flexibility, because you sit a few degrees more upright. If you aren't going to race, I don't see the benefit of a race fit, or a racing bike. Also, I know plenty of people who race on an endurance bike for their first couple years, and I do very well in sprint and oly tris on an endurance road bike.
Old 04-27-15, 12:48 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by B1KE
Hey everyone,

I have a Secteur endurance bike and I've recently flipped the stem to get a more aero feel. I have yet to take it out on a long ride to feel how comofrtable it is but I was wondering.

So you made a change to your bike and you want other people to tell you how comfortable it's going to feel?
Old 04-27-15, 12:51 PM
Darth Steele

Bikes: 2013 SuperSix Ultegra

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by happyscientist
Endurance fit is more comfortable for long rides, especially if you don't have great flexibility, because you sit a few degrees more upright. If you aren't going to race, I don't see the benefit of a race fit, or a racing bike. Also, I know plenty of people who race on an endurance bike for their first couple years, and I do very well in sprint and oly tris on an endurance road bike.
We all have different bodies and different flexibility levels. Without a proper fit we can only "guess" as what would work better for you.

Can you post some pictures of your bike in it's two different modes? I would love to see how much of difference there is.

Even in race mode the bike should be able to do a fair bit of "riding around"

Even without racing I would say to work on stretching and to improve your flexibility.
Old 04-27-15, 01:01 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts

Well a race is a test of endurance. No such thing as race and endurance "fit". If you're asking what it will feel like after you slammed your stem then go ride and find out. If you have to slam your stem to properly get your back flat in an aero position when in the drops then you're frame is probably too small. I have a 2 1/2 inch saddle to bar drop, and when my hands are in the hooks my back is perfectly flat. Slamming my bars another 3 inches would do absolutely nothing positive. The way some people set their bikes up they could probably catch small birds in their rear jersey pockets.
Old 04-27-15, 01:08 PM
happyscientist

Bikes: C'Dale Synapse, Surly Disc Trucker, Giant Trance, Orbea Avant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Steele
We all have different bodies and different flexibility levels. Without a proper fit we can only "guess" as what would work better for you.

Can you post some pictures of your bike in it's two different modes? I would love to see how much of difference there is.

Even in race mode the bike should be able to do a fair bit of "riding around"

Even without racing I would say to work on stretching and to improve your flexibility.
Are you suggesting I move my stem around and screw up my fit so you can see a picture? Because that ain't happening. I ride an endurance bike with a low stem because that suits my needs. I am just saying that in general, people with less flexibility or less experience benefit from a bike that is not aggressively positioned (and that softens road vibrations a bit).
Old 04-27-15, 01:16 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
So you made a change to your bike and you want other people to tell you how comfortable it's going to feel?

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 04-27-15, 01:31 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
I have yet to take it out on a long ride to feel how comofrtable it is but I was wondering.
You could:

A) Just keep wondering.

2) Ask people on the Inter-web how comfortable it will be.

iii) Take it out on a long ride to feel how "comofrtable" (whatever that might) be it actually is.

Only one is worth the effort, although typing and wondering are less arduous.

-Bandera
Old 04-27-15, 01:45 PM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, obviously it's not a great question to ask the 41.

I would say the theoretical differences between "Race" and "Endurance" is is the muscle strain associated with the event you are preparing to ride. If we assume the word "Race" is crit centric, then having an optimized fit which balances the aero position with your FTP drop off point could be worth it. If we assume "Endurance" is closer to the style of randonneuring, then having a fit which allows you to look forward for hours without your neck muscles failing, due to strain, makes substantially more sense.

Begin with the End in Mind: If you want to look like a poseur on a bike: Flip and Slam IT regardless of comfort! If you want to be comfortable for long rides: Fit your bike according to your body's feedback, and if necessary get a professional to do a fit for you.

Also, not your question but a good answer: race bikes typically have a snappy geometry which makes then twitchy at slow speeds but agile for racing, endurance bikes typically have a longer wheelbase and a more slack head tube angle which allows more gentile control of the bike at slow speeds.

My bike is an 'Endurance Bike' one size down and a long stem. I like the way it steers and my fit on it is comfortable. My previous bike, which was not an endurance bike, had a shorter stem and was one size up... I hated the way it steered, but the fit was still comfortable.

YMMV.
Old 04-27-15, 01:56 PM
Fly2High

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Secteur Sport

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK, I too have a Secteur with the stem in the stock position. If the OP posts theirs, you can see the difference. I think , on mine, the stock stem is 110 mm, (12 deg. I think)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1267_Smaller.jpg (50.1 KB, 743 views)
File Type: jpg
Secteur Photo.jpg (102.5 KB, 747 views)
Old 04-27-15, 02:09 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyBoyAz
Also, not your question but a good answer: race bikes typically have a snappy geometry which makes then twitchy at slow speeds but agile for racing, endurance bikes typically have a longer wheelbase and a more slack head tube angle which allows more gentile control of the bike at slow speeds.
No need to get all anti-semitic on us.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 04-27-15, 04:47 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyBoyAz
So, obviously it's not a great question to ask the 41.

I would say the theoretical differences between "Race" and "Endurance" is is the muscle strain associated with the event you are preparing to ride. If we assume the word "Race" is crit centric, then having an optimized fit which balances the aero position with your FTP drop off point could be worth it. If we assume "Endurance" is closer to the style of randonneuring, then having a fit which allows you to look forward for hours without your neck muscles failing, due to strain, makes substantially more sense.

Begin with the End in Mind: If you want to look like a poseur on a bike: Flip and Slam IT regardless of comfort! If you want to be comfortable for long rides: Fit your bike according to your body's feedback, and if necessary get a professional to do a fit for you.

My bike is an 'Endurance Bike' one size down and a long stem. I like the way it steers and my fit on it is comfortable. My previous bike, which was not an endurance bike, had a shorter stem and was one size up... I hated the way it steered, but the fit was still comfortable.

YMMV.
On the contrary. This the perfect example of a 41 question.
Old 04-27-15, 05:07 PM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
On the contrary. This the perfect example of a 41 question.
I suppose I was implying "Not a good question to ask the 41... and expect an honest and helpful pool of answers."

It is typical of the drivel found in winter month threads for sure.
Old 04-27-15, 08:39 PM
B1KE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you suggesting I move my stem around and screw up my fit so you can see a picture? Because that ain't happening. I ride an endurance bike with a low stem because that suits my needs. I am just saying that in general, people with less flexibility or less experience benefit from a bike that is not aggressively positioned (and that softens road vibrations a bit).
Thanks for your insight.
Old 04-27-15, 08:43 PM
B1KE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly2High
OK, I too have a Secteur with the stem in the stock position. If the OP posts theirs, you can see the difference. I think , on mine, the stock stem is 110 mm, (12 deg. I think)

I had the stem upwards like yours with the largest spacer underneath. I flipped the stem yesterday and didnt add or remove any spacers,went on a 20km ride and it felt good.
Old 04-27-15, 08:45 PM
B1KE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you lose any power or gain power by having a more race/aggressive position? By power I don't mean the more aero position itself which I imagine helps because it cuts down wind but power to the pedal stroke itself. I feel that I'm using different muscles in my lowered position. However I can't tell if I'm generating more power, I did "feel faster" but that could be a placebo effect caused by flipping the stem. Any input or experience would be great to share!
Old 04-27-15, 09:48 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you lose any power or gain power by having a more race/aggressive position?
You'd have to have a power meter to measure the effect. Note that there is also a balance between getting more aero by reducing your frontal area versus possibly losing power because you're not comfortable or your gut is in the way of your quads.

If you're not racing, you're probably better off choosing comfort over contorting yourself into what might be a more aero position.
Old 04-27-15, 09:49 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
All the road bikes I've owned are "race" geo and I've never been uncomfortable even on long rides with them properly set up
Old 04-28-15, 04:50 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Well a race is a test of endurance. No such thing as race and endurance "fit". If you're asking what it will feel like after you slammed your stem then go ride and find out. If you have to slam your stem to properly get your back flat in an aero position when in the drops then you're frame is probably too small. I have a 2 1/2 inch saddle to bar drop, and when my hands are in the hooks my back is perfectly flat. Slamming my bars another 3 inches would do absolutely nothing positive. The way some people set their bikes up they could probably catch small birds in their rear jersey pockets.
Thank you. Good post.
Old 04-28-15, 05:00 AM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Hi...I used to race professionally. Here in the US and overseas...and because I liked to climb in the drops (and still do), especially the short steep stuff I have never had my bike, what you might call (without really understanding the concept) aggressively positioned.

It amuses me to read stuff out here written by folks that really do not get what they are talking about, but read too many magazines and spend too much time on the internet.

Bike setup, indeed ties into flexibility. However, a fitter is attempting to find the sweet spot for a rider that is comfortable, and allows them to freely pedal the bike producing the most power they can.
Old 04-28-15, 05:01 AM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
No need to get all anti-semitic on us.
I see what you did there. Well played. Very well played.
Old 04-28-15, 06:28 AM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
All the road bikes I've owned are "race" geo and I've never been uncomfortable even on long rides with them properly set up
It really is subjective. I started witH an endurance bike and now ride a traditional geometry. all of our bodies are different. Figure out what you personally like better and go with that.
Old 04-28-15, 06:58 AM
falconsusi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started riding a Cannondale Synapse in September. It has the endurance fit. After months of riding (I was already losing weight) I hit a spot in my fitness and fatness that I also started getting more aggressive. I flipped and shortened my stem. I really was enjoying my bike that way. I was definitely using muscles in a new way. I was liking the more aggressive position. Really liking it...

I bought a Cannondale CAAD10 last week. My lbs (who like my money) was very encouraging about my early transition to the race fit bike. The first ride I found out that I love the race fit. I feel more aggressive. I feel like the bike fits me better. It corners better, it climbs better.

I am glad I did it.
Old 04-28-15, 07:00 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
and because I liked to climb in the drops (and still do),
Glad I'm not alone haha. I climb in the drops and in 28 years I've never seen anyone else who does. Except for Pantani of course. Of course if I had a 1 foot bar drop like everyone has nowadays I wouldn't.
Old 04-28-15, 07:09 AM
Fly2High

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Secteur Sport

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
BIKE,

just a couple of questions:

1. How did the bike fit before you flipped the stem? Did it feel too small?
2. HOw does it feel now? Do you feel more stretched out?
3. Did you have to change your seat any once you flipped the stem?

I would think the reach would be too long since flipping the stem should put the bars further away. I would suspect that you would need a shorter stem to make up for the longer reach. If the reach is fine then I would question how well sizes you were to the bike. I would think it was too short for you. If it is too short, you would also be more upright as well.

Could I trouble you to take a photo with you on the bike in the drops and on the hoods. Curious to try out flipping as well. I am wondering how you are positioned and all.

Thanks

I love my Secteur Sport. I hope you are loving yours!! It is a nice bike.

Frank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.