Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

PowerTap calibration question

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-17, 03:06 PM
Koonstheman

Bikes: Bianchi Veloce and a custom-made Commonwealth (Medford, MA)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hi -

I have my PowerTap paired with a Garmin Edge 510. I always calibrate it before I start my rides and when I stop and the Garmin shuts off. The calibration readings are usually in the mid 500s. Today, it was in the 300s throughout. I also noticed that my power readings were lower than I would have expected, although not by a ratio of the two readings.

Generally speaking, what is the cause and effect of such an unusual calibration? I don't understand this process at all well.

Thanks
Old 10-15-17, 03:32 PM
brian416
Roadie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Unfortunately a calibration in the 300s means your Powertap has to be sent in to be replaced by Saris, most likely a damaged torque tube.
Old 10-15-17, 03:36 PM
Koonstheman

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Why Saris? Don't they make racks and the like?
Old 10-16-17, 06:19 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Koonstheman
Why Saris? Don't they make racks and the like?
Yes. They also own CycleOps which sells PowerTap power meters.
Old 10-28-17, 08:08 PM
Koonstheman

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Hi - I have a dreary update to this and - again - perhaps someone can shed a flashlight on this for me.
I contacted Saris through email and have gotten an interminable run-around. First, the guy told me to download PowerAgent and update the firmware, without telling me how this is done. He also told me that my unit should calibrate at 515, which I can assure you it never did (usually it did around 550). Then he told me to send a picture of the unit (again, this is a G3), which I found odd. I opened the unit and sent a picture of the hub, but he replied that he needed a picture of the cap itself.

Now, I'm not an expert on power meters by any stretch of the imagination, but I find it odd that the manufacturer needs me to send it pictures of my unit.

Can anyone gently educate me?
Old 10-31-17, 08:03 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Hi - I have a dreary update to this and - again - perhaps someone can shed a flashlight on this for me.
I contacted Saris through email and have gotten an interminable run-around. First, the guy told me to download PowerAgent and update the firmware, without telling me how this is done. He also told me that my unit should calibrate at 515, which I can assure you it never did (usually it did around 550). Then he told me to send a picture of the unit (again, this is a G3), which I found odd. I opened the unit and sent a picture of the hub, but he replied that he needed a picture of the cap itself.

Now, I'm not an expert on power meters by any stretch of the imagination, but I find it odd that the manufacturer needs me to send it pictures of my unit.

With the G3 they moved the electronics to the cap to allow electronic changes (ex ANT+ to BlueTooth) without sending your wheel back to the factory.

They've made multiple versions and the tech support guy wants to see what you have in case there was a recall, it's under warranty, it's a version with a common fault....

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 10-31-17 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-03-17, 03:45 PM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
... the guy told me to download PowerAgent and update the firmware, without telling me how this is done. ...

Here's a step by step video from PowerTap: