Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized OSBB / GXP Adaptor Question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-14, 07:15 AM
Grambo

Bikes: IF Ti Crown Jewel, Moots Mooto X RSL 29er, Fat Chance Yo Eddy, Lynskey Pro Cross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I will be running a GXP crankset in a Specialized OSBB and had a couple of quick questions. It seems I have two options that will allow me to run GXP. First is the Wheels Manufacturer delrin adaptor cups which I believe press into the OSBB cartridge bearings to reduce the internal diameters to match the GXP crank. Second option is to just use a Praxis BB specifically designed for this adaptation. Have heard good things about the Praxis BB and was leaning in that direction but was just curious if anyone has experience with both and what they would recommend. I'm a little worried about the press in Wheel Manufacturer's adaptors given it seems like a recipe for creaking. BTW the GXP is a Quarq power meter so I have a fair amount of money tied up in it and replacing it with a 30mm spindle power meter is not an option at this time.
Old 12-15-14, 07:43 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
I used WM adapters in my Cannondale with a GXP crank. It worked fine. There is nothing in that set up that will creak. Any creaking would come from the bearings in the frame.

If you already have bearings in your Specialized frame, you might as well go with the WM adapters. They are cheap and easy to do yourself.
Old 12-16-14, 09:44 AM
brian416
Roadie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I have the wheels manufacturing adapters on my bike with a GXP Quarq. Several thousand miles and no creaking.
Old 12-16-14, 01:35 PM
bj.bonnette

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brian416
I have the wheels manufacturing adapters on my bike with a GXP Quarq. Several thousand miles and no creaking.
I have the same setup. 6k+ miles with no issues.
Old 12-16-14, 01:39 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And I went through two sets of WM adapters in 5k miles due to creaking. Eventually I switched to the Praxis adapter and the bike has been silent since.