Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Building a bike around Suntour AG?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-23, 05:09 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts

This is a previously pondered hypothetical question dredged up by USAzorro's proposed "class 4"

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...hallenges.html

So I've got the full AG drive train but no particular bike to put it on.

I read a review by Frank Berto about climbing hills on a I think a Schwinn Varsity?

For actually going up hills, a slightly lighter frame might be a good idea.

Would a Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 be a good match?

Its the right vintage.

How about wheels though?

What go's up, must come down.

Smaller rims and bigger tires?

Less stellar braking?

Shorter cranks? (I am partial to the 170 Sugino Maxy's)

Decide I need a Varsity?
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 03-12-23, 09:56 AM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Do you have the version of the FD where the inner cage plate swings up and down relative to the front plate as it moves?

I have the AG tech RD and the FD I just described, and they work okay. I bought them as a NOS set, but I'm pretty sure they were OEM on my ~1983 Ross MTB. I'm using a humble Shimano freewheel, and not the 40 tooth Suntour it was designed for...
Old 03-12-23, 06:09 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
I wish you luck building a bike around the AG, looking forward to see what you come up with!!! The only AG piece I have is the FD on my Stumpjumper- and there's just so much steel on it. I suppose that means it's that much more indestructible, but a Mountech FD would weigh like half of that.

There's that whole early 80s period- for derailleurs I just like to skip ahead to 1984/85.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 03-12-23, 06:31 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 1,846 Times in 835 Posts
Looking at the dismantled Schwinn Sidewinder on my back porch, that may have been the bike Berto may have been describing (the Sidewinder, also being a Chicago-forged diamond frame, bears quite a resemblance to be a Varsity).

For many years, I ran AG gearing, either with an AG, triple pulley, or other similar rear derailleur. The 14-38 rear freewheel makes for a good half-step setup, although I'm not sure the AG front is half-step friendly.

I'm hoping to reassemble the AG-equipped Sidewinder so I can sell it at the Tucson swap next month - if not, I'll just bring all the parts and label it "classic bike - some assembly required".
Old 03-12-23, 06:35 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

One thing I didn't mention: back in the days of Suntour sprocket boards, I built up several 14-17-21-26-32-38 six-speed Perfect freewheels. I still have a couple of them. I also have the 14-38 five-speed from the Sidewinder, but that stays with that pile o' parts, er, bicycle.
Old 03-12-23, 11:26 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
I built up an 11.8 for a friend and I have to say it was actually a pretty solid climber.
Old 03-13-23, 03:38 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Curtesy of SPEEDOFLIGHT, here's the Frank Berto review:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ar-system.html

It's definitely a low priority, down the que project idea, but I'm thinking a more modern 700c hybrid wheel set could get cut down and re-dished from 7 speed to 5 speed.

I'd also check the brake reach needed to see if long reach brakes are "too long" for 700c, because I'm pretty sure Tektro 559's would let me swap in a 650b wheelset relatively easily.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 03-13-23, 10:23 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

I committed the grievous error of posting on the other thread. I'll go back and whack the zombie momentarily.

Here's what I posted there:

Sincere thanks for posting this.

So it really was a Varsity and not a Sidewinder. I'd stand corrected, but I just got comfortable.

It's interesting how much we put up with in pre-Hyperglide days in terms of just accepting late/overshifts in order to get a wide gear range.

One of the highlights of visiting Interbike in the mid-2000s was an annual dinner (usually at the Sahara Buffet) with Berto and several other long-time cycling scribes. It was great meeting the God of Gearing in person and conversing over a full meal. And buying autographed copies of "The Dancing Chain" direct from the author.

I still have an Ampec Belt Beacon in the Box O' Bike Lights. Just needs a 9 volt battery to start blinking once more.

I did run that "spring plowing" 24-38 ratio on my Rans recumbent for a number of years, as it was nice to have a super-bailout gear to make up for not being able to stand up on steep 10+% climbs.

And now my two 14-38 6 speed freewheels in storage are wondering when they'll see some mileage again.
​​​​​​​
Old 03-13-23, 12:14 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Originally Posted by Schweinhund
Got most of a 1972 varsity hanging in the garage. In orange. If I can help you with parts, hollar.
Got a 1974 LeTour f/f as well if you'd rather build something with a European bb.
I'm surrounded by Chicago-forged frames each week at the co-op, so while I do appreciate the offer, I'll have to pass. Plus the shipping costs for such massive chunks of metal could be expensive...
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 03-13-23, 02:38 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
I'm hoping to reassemble the AG-equipped Sidewinder so I can sell it at the Tucson swap next month - if not, I'll just bring all the parts and label it "classic bike - some assembly required".
The Chicago built Sidewinder should sell for something around $200 or more depending on the condition. I don't understand the following that it has, maybe because it is somewhat rare, but it has a following.