Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Brifters without braze-ons: use clamp-on shifter mount or cable stop mount?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-21, 07:13 AM
liquid_liquid 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts

I recently scored a good deal on a Veloce groupset, and I would like to put it on an 80s steel frame that I have. This frame does not have downtube braze-ons, so I'll need some form of cable clamp for my brifters.

My question is: does anyone know if it is preferable to use an old pair of down tube shifters and remove the levers or to use a cable stop?

Apologies if I'm not using the exactly right terms. Basically I want to know if there is a benefit to using something like the component in image A vs. B.

A)

B)

If I go with A, I am going to need get some stops to put on top of the shifter mounts. If I go with B, I'm assuming I need to get some kind of barrel adjuster? And if it affects this decision, I'd like to get an old Campagnolo clamp to match the groupset (by the way, let me know if you have an extra lying around you'd like to part with ), so I'm not sure if this makes finding shifter mounts any more or less difficult or expensive.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-30-21, 08:15 AM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by liquid_liquid
If I go with B, I'm assuming I need to get some kind of barrel adjuster?
I believe you have already identified the advantage to B. If you have no other adjustability in the cable it is good to go this way.
Likes For bikeaddiction1:
Old 03-30-21, 08:24 AM
ZudeJammer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Series V 1985, Motobecane Grand Touring 1982, Specialized Stumpjumper 1993, Raleigh International 1972, Raleigh Grand Prix 1972, Kuwahara Count 1983, Trek Cirrus 1987, Shogun 2001 1983, Cannondale SM700 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 96 Posts
A) cable stops wont fit on that shifter clamp without a dremel
B) classic option
C) run the housing the full length using black cable ties

I had the same issue putting bar ends on an old bike, I went with B and got a shiny Huret clamp but I am debating switching it to C to keep my cables clean, and am gonna add a cable adjuster at the derailleur
Likes For ZudeJammer:
Old 03-30-21, 12:57 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,717 Times in 2,614 Posts
For this purpose, I've retapped Huret downtube shifter clamps with an M5 tap so that they accept cable stops with adjustors. That Campy stop could work, but on the rear, at least, you definitely need an adjustor/tightener somewhere along the line, and I've also found that those stops need to be reamed or drilled out a bit to accept cable-end ferrules.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 03-30-21, 01:49 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
For this purpose, I've retapped Huret downtube shifter clamps with an M5 tap so that they accept cable stops with adjustors. That Campy stop could work, but on the rear, at least, you definitely need an adjustor/tightener somewhere along the line, and I've also found that those stops need to be reamed or drilled out a bit to accept cable-end ferrules.
This ^^

It's also what I do to build up 1x6 - 1x8 bikes for intown riding with Shimano rear mechs and lever - Huret downtube clamp, tapped M5. You can get cheap tap-and-die sets on AMZN that'll do the job fine for a little more than you'd pay for a single high-quality name-brand tap.

Old 03-30-21, 02:15 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
So what I've done a few times is to take apart an old clamp shifter and use it's band with a modern shimano shifter boss adaptor. Usually you just need to use the orignal bolt to tighten it down.
Old 03-30-21, 02:37 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
I would go with option 'B'. You can then use an in-line cable adjuster if desired. Example:
Old 03-30-21, 02:53 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Origin8 and Problem Solvers among others offer some modern solutions, otherwise your two initially proposed ideas are solid and I've employed both. And like @nlerner said, finding clamp-on DT shifters with an M5 threading (so you can mount cable stops w/ barrel adjusters) is preferable. There are Shimano 600 units that are the Holy Grail (IMO), but they can be pricey. Where are you located with respect to a major metropolitan area and the likelihood of a bike shop that sells new/used components? (It would also be tremendously helpful for the rest of us if you could put your city/area/region in your profile)

Shimano 600 clamp on DT shifter adapter that works for all indexed Shimmy-Shammy levers as well as downtube cable stops (when you remove the adapters for the shifters).

Downtube cable stops. They come in fully concave backing/interfaces (like for vintage steel tube diameters), semi-concave (OS tubing and aluminum frames etc), and flat (Cannondales and earlier carbon bikes etc).
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 03-30-21, 03:52 PM
degan

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 54 Posts
Inline cable adjusters are something I used for this exact same problem some time back. Worked like a dream, but I think I had to order them because the LBS didn't have them.
Old 03-30-21, 04:10 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Apologies if I'm not using the exactly right terms. Basically I want to know if there is a benefit to using something like the component in im

B)

I can’t say for sure that any modification would be needed with the old shifter stop. I’ve used them on conversion for Shimano using a Shimano downtube housing stop on either a Shimano clamp or a Suntour clamp without modification. It would be best to just see if it works first and make any necessary modifications as needed.

However, the second option probably won’t work at all. I’ve seen people try it at the local co-op and the cable housing just doesn’t have enough support for the precision needed for index shifting. The cable housing flexes too much and the shifting is very dodgy. You need a much stiffer anchor for the cable end. Campy does seem to make a cable stop as well. That might work better with a clamp-on shifter boss.

You might be able to use an adjuster called “mouse ears” from Jagwire. You might be able to drill out the Campy cable stop (option B) but I don’t think there is enough metal here. The diameter of the mouse ears is too wide for the cable stop and you’ll probably just break it.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-30-21, 04:11 PM
liquid_liquid 

Thanks for the replies everyone. These are really helpful, and it seems like I have some good options.

I need this info for my first ground-up build. I'm seeing how nice I can make my ride for as affordable as I can. The challenge, I'm realizing and as I'm sure you all know, arises when you want to be consistent with the components, and the components happen to be from a certain Italian manufacturer: it can be turn out to be pretty pricey. You would think a simple band of metal with Campagnolo stamped on it (B) would be cheap, but we're looking at at least $30 when I think I can get some used clamp on shifters (A) from another manufacturer at a local shop for a few dollars. (And I've seen some rusty bikes for sale with a Campy downtube shifter for $100, which makes option B seem absurdly pricey.) The modern solution that RiddleOfSteel suggested at least doesn't have a brand prominently displayed on it, though these clamps may be a bit clunkier than the look I'm going for.

I'm in the Greater Boston area, by the way.
Old 03-30-21, 04:18 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,717 Times in 2,614 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. These are really helpful, and it seems like I have some good options.

I need this info for my first ground-up build. I'm seeing how nice I can make my ride for as affordable as I can. The challenge, I'm realizing and as I'm sure you all know, arises when you want to be consistent with the components, and the components happen to be from a certain Italian manufacturer: it can be turn out to be pretty pricey. You would think a simple band of metal with Campagnolo stamped on it (B) would be cheap, but we're looking at at least $30 when I think I can get some used clamp on shifters (A) from another manufacturer at a local shop for a few dollars. (And I've seen some rusty bikes for sale with a Campy downtube shifter for $100, which makes option B seem absurdly pricey.) The modern solution that RiddleOfSteel suggested at least doesn't have a brand prominently displayed on it, though these clamps may be a bit clunkier than the look I'm going for.

I'm in the Greater Boston area, by the way.
I don’t know what the current state of bike co-ops is under pandemic conditions, but usually Broadway Bikes in Somerville and Bikes Not Bombs in JP have ample used parts bins.
Old 09-05-21, 07:09 PM
liquid_liquid 

I decided to return to this thread for posterity's sake. If anyone stumbles on this thread via Google looking for a solution to a similar problem, here is what I did:

First, I came across a clamp-on set of Campagnolo downtube shifters with the levers removed, which corresponds to image A. As several posts pointed out, this did not work. It is impossible to fit cable stops onto the clamp.

I decided to run with the option I knew would work, which is the "modern" solution. I used the Origin8 cable stop. I don't particularly like the look given the rest of my bike's aesthetic, but I can say this solution does work and I was able to race with no problems.

This is what it looks like:

Old 09-06-21, 06:45 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,014 Times in 1,112 Posts
For posteriors sake we need a picture of this C&V bike you race on.

edit: funny posteriors. Did I do that?

Last edited by Classtime; 09-06-21 at 09:37 AM.
Likes For Classtime:
Old 09-06-21, 10:37 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2444 Post(s)
Liked 3,141 Times in 1,977 Posts
I decided to return to this thread for posterity's sake. If anyone stumbles on this thread via Google looking for a solution to a similar problem, here is what I did:

First, I came across a clamp-on set of Campagnolo downtube shifters with the levers removed, which corresponds to image A. As several posts pointed out, this did not work. It is impossible to fit cable stops onto the clamp.

I decided to run with the option I knew would work, which is the "modern" solution. I used the Origin8 cable stop. I don't particularly like the look given the rest of my bike's aesthetic, but I can say this solution does work and I was able to race with no problems.

This is what it looks like:

Did you use an inline adjuster with the rear, or do you just adjust at the cable stop on the derailleur?
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 09-06-21, 12:06 PM
liquid_liquid 

'sHere are a few quick shots.

I had meant to start a full thread about this build but haven't gotten around to it. The bottom line was that I wanted to create a gravel ride with a frame I had acquired that could take big tires, and I wanted to do so as cheaply as I could (which means no wireless components) and still have some style. Ultimately, I had to bite the bullet and get new wheels, I learned, because no old rims would take large enough tires. I was trying to keep things "Italian" because, despite the frame's origins, the model is called Giro. I did a pretty good job, except the saddle, which I got for free; the handlebars, because I wanted some wide ones; and the tires because at that point I had spent more than I wanted to and ran out of patience looking for Italian gravel tires.

And I didn't use an inline adjuster. The main reason was this was my first build ever, so I learned a lot along the way, and I ran out of time to do any more tweaks before my race.

Old 09-07-21, 12:09 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,014 Times in 1,112 Posts
Nice job. I bet it was the best looking bike on the course. What size are those Gravelking? (35s fit on regular road rims in CX race situations. For next time$?)
Old 09-09-21, 06:40 PM
liquid_liquid 

Originally Posted by Classtime
Nice job. I bet it was the best looking bike on the course. What size are those Gravelking? (35s fit on regular road rims in CX race situations. For next time$?)
Yes, they are 35s. I was afraid to risk trying to put them on a 15mm or smaller inner rim width.
Old 01-18-23, 02:18 AM
Jsendin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I know this is an old thread. I recently bought the Origin 8 solution (waiting in the post) but in the meantime also made my own with Shimano Altus clamp-on shifters and Shimano barrel adjusters. I kept the screw (M4?) from the Altus and it seems to work well (M5 screws from the barrel adjusters didn't fit). I haven't installed it yet but can't see why it won't work.

RiddleOfSteel mentioned Shimano 600 clamp-on shifters as ideal but as he notes these are expensive whereas the Shimano Altus are cheap and readily available (in my area)

I only did one side as it's for a 1x with trigger shifter

Likes For Jsendin:
Old 01-18-23, 11:11 AM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 2,961 Times in 984 Posts
Maybe I'm the lucky dog? I've used old Campy, shimano, and Huret cable stops without adjusters successfully in 2/3 x 9/10 setups. The brifter and derailleur adjusters seem to be sufficient. That said, I may tap one and see what happens.

Old 01-18-23, 05:40 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
When I briftered my Pro Tour, I used the original Suntour cable stop that worked with the original Barcons. My brifters don't have adjusters, but the RDs that I used did, so the rear wasn't an issue. For the front derailleur I used a barrel adjuster where one side fits into a housing stop, which I mounted in the Suntour stop. Works great! I even shift the original front Cyclone on a double with the Claris brifter.