Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

In what situation is Standard better than Compact?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

In what situation is Standard better than Compact?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-12, 09:34 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
I personally think the cyclocross compact (46/36) is an excellent and underrated combo for recreational cyclists who do not race. Lots of overlapping gear ratios, a range in the big ring that fits what most cyclists actually generate, and you don't spin out until 37 mph anyway.
I agree. I brought a cyclocross late fall for winter riding. The weather is another story. But I did use the cyclocross a good bit because it was fun off road. The gearing is perfect for what I did - mostly rides on the roads, with some dirt/gravel trails, and a few paths in the woods.
Old 03-21-12, 09:37 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Bain
Compact gearing= Deferred success gearing, deferred success = a nice way of saying failing or under achieving. They did an article on it but I can not find it on the net.
Real men ride 52/42 with a six speed freehub, eh?
Old 03-21-12, 09:46 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by runningDoc

I doubt even Chuck Noris could spin that. Must be a photoshop.
Old 03-22-12, 01:19 AM
Debusama

Bikes: Elephant custom road bike, 08 Redline D440, Motobecane Fantom cross Uno.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It really all depends on the size of your penis; if you’re a real man with big strong legs and a need for speed, you’ll go with the standard. It might also have something to do with the style of riding you do and where you ride. I’m sure some of the standard-riding studs in the Midwest would do better on a compact if they were to move to Colorado. There are plenty of people standing and mashing up hills in tall gears who would be able to climb longer and faster if they would sit down and spin as a compact would allow them to do. It’s also worth mentioning that many Standard drive trains use 12/25 or 12/27 cassettes and won’t help you go down hills any faster than a compact with an 11t cog.
I’ve got one bike with a standard and one with a compact, the biggest drawback I can see with the compact is that shifting between a 39/53 is smoother and easier than with a 34/50.
Old 03-22-12, 01:48 AM
Zei

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Debusama
It really all depends on the size of your penis;
Wait. What?
Old 03-22-12, 02:09 AM
eriku16

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Compacts are the new triple and is an excuse for weak riders to stay weak.

Once upon a time, long time ago, I had 53/39 with a corn cob out back... yeah, remember them? The lowest "granny" I had was 53in and that was my bail out gear.

Last edited by eriku16; 03-22-12 at 02:13 AM.
Old 03-22-12, 05:08 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by eriku16
Compacts are the new triple and is an excuse for weak riders to stay weak.

Once upon a time, long time ago, I had 53/39 with a corn cob out back... yeah, remember them? The lowest "granny" I had was 53in and that was my bail out gear.
But although we call a 39 standard nowadays, it wasn't that long ago that it would have been considered a compact...
Old 03-22-12, 05:20 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
That's Chuck Norris compact double. Saw him ride it through the rockies one afternoon.
If that is Chuck's compact ... I wonder how many teeth his standard has.

Going up "de muur" last weekend I wondered if my lowest gear of 39/23 was giving me a high enough cadence and I started to think about getting a 12-25 cassette.
Old 03-22-12, 05:56 AM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have both Standard and Compact setups on various road bikes because each has its own advantages. The Standard is better than Compact in all group ride situations, when I have a specific plan where I intend to ride, if I have a particular training workout planned, or if I plan to ride more aggressively. The Compact is better when I am just out for a casual ride, or when I have no plan on where I intend to ride and have no agenda.

The choice to go with a Compact was first made when I built a bike for more relaxed riding or for recreational purposes so I went with 50/34 - 11/28 gearing, whereas my standard road bikes generally use 53/39 - 11/26. The Compact really changed the character of the bike though, and I tend to enjoy the more relaxed pace that it encourages, so I put one on my Serrota T-Max (MTB) commuter as well. If I had to give up one or the other though, I would keep the Standard.

Last edited by Stealthammer; 03-22-12 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-22-12, 06:09 AM
kleinboogie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I bought my Quarq Cinqo I was still riding compact. For that much money I wanted options so I got the 110bcd PM and bought 52/36 Red Chainrings for it. It came with 50/34 force rings and I already had a Red Crankset with 50/34. That gave me a lot of options. If I had bought the 130bcd I really would have only had 1 option.

I mainly ride the 52/36 and I'm usually in the middle cogs in group rides and races that average 27-28mph and in sprints I'm never in the 11 cog so 52/36 is right for me at this time. I put the compact on a hilly ride and I did spin-out the 50-11 on the descent. I may use the compact again but only on much steeper climbs.

Last edited by kleinboogie; 03-22-12 at 06:13 AM.
Old 03-22-12, 06:24 AM
MajorMantra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
You are missing the point. If you want to go fast, the 53 on the standard basically shifts you one cog larger to get the same gear ratio. If you have the legs, this puts your normal cruising gear more towards the center of the cassette.
I was just talking about the top speed thing. Some people seem to assume that having a compact means a lower top speed but they ignore the choice of cassette. You make it sound like I'm anti-standard. I prefer a standard double.

As far as the 50/11 vs 53/12, this is a bit of a stupid comparison. It simply means that you have chosen to increase your gear range. Obviously, if you want to compare, then a 53/11 is a bigger gear than a 50/11. And a 53/12 is bigger than a 50/12.
I made the comparison because a great many bikes (including those used by racers) come specced with a 53/12 max gear and for 99% of us it is sufficient. Obviously you can have any combination you want but I was drawing attention to the fact that very few people's top speeds will suffer because they chose a compact.
Old 03-22-12, 06:26 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by generalkdi
Standard will be harder to get up hills, but will give you a faster gear for top speed (down hill, sprint)

There's no super science behind standard vs compact
One thing that may not be all that obvious is that when you're running smaller rings, that makes the gaps between your gears bigger, since chain pitch is a constant.

In other words, if you were to use rings and cogs with twice as many teeth, there'd be room for gears halfway between; as the cogs and rings get smaller 1t becomes a bigger jump.
Old 03-22-12, 06:51 AM
mmmdonuts
Gluteus Enormus

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to see all these "rec racers" who can push a 53/11 and say comparing a 50/11 to a 53/12 is not valid. Why isn't it valid? It shows that a compact crank can give high and low gears that few cyclists can exceed.
Old 03-22-12, 07:48 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Some very interesting and informative responses to the OP's question and, typical to the 41, it immediately went straight to differences in racing and then climbing. I hope the OP was not asking because they are trying to decide what to put on a road bike to use as a commuter, in which case most of these responses are somewhat meaningless.

As for me, I really don't know what the difference is as I have never had a standard double crank and came from a triple to a compact double. I did, however, noticed a big difference between the compact over the triple on the flats, which is all we have here. Too old to race and not much climbing in Florida for it to make a big difference to me but still an interesting read.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 03-22-12, 07:58 AM
ShutUpLegs

Bikes: CAAD10 & Slice RS Black Inc

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I road a compact on my road bike for roughly two years. Something just always didn't feel right. This season I built a new bike and switched to standard and I will never look back. At first I was worried about climbing, but with the right cassette you can make gearing almost identical to a compact if you wanted. Using a standard has definitely made me more efficient in my pedaling and has helping my jumps for breakaways and sprints.
Old 03-22-12, 08:12 AM
MajorMantra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
Some very interesting and informative responses to the OP's question and, typical to the 41, it immediately went straight to differences in racing and then climbing. I hope the OP was not asking because they are trying to decide what to put on a road bike to use as a commuter, in which case most of these responses are somewhat meaningless.

This is the road forum, not the commuting forum. FFS.
Old 03-22-12, 08:12 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mmmdonuts
I would like to see all these "rec racers" who can push a 53/11 and say comparing a 50/11 to a 53/12 is not valid. Why isn't it valid? It shows that a compact crank can give high and low gears that few cyclists can exceed.
Yes, but you can also put on a 12-32 on the rear of a standard crank outfitted bike and get even lower gearing than you would with a compact and an 11-25. All you are saying is you can spread your gear range to get back to equivalent gearing. That that is an obvious point and you should just say that plainly. It does mean you are spreading your gear ratio, and increasing the gap between gear ratios. So, yes, you can spread the gear ratio, but it doesn't come without a cost.

For what it's worth, I have used a compact 50-36 for commuting simply for the fact that I am rarely pushing down hills, so don't need the tall gearing, and I can stay ing the 50 longer and don't need to futz with my front derailleur in the middle of traffic.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 03-22-12 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-22-12, 08:24 AM
adriano 

Bikes: https://velospace.org/node/18951

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
a compact crankset is always better than a standard. put standard rings on it if you wish.

α
Old 03-22-12, 08:27 AM
mmmdonuts
Gluteus Enormus

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, but you can also put on a 12-32 on the rear of a standard crank outfitted bike and get most of the gearing you would with a compact and an 11-25. All you are saying is you can spread your gear range to get back to equivalent gearing. That that is an obvious point and you should just say that plainly. It does mean you are spreading your gear ratio, and increasing the gap between gear ratios. So, yes, you can spread the gear ratio, but it doesn't come without a cost.

For what it's worth, I have used a compact 50-36 for commuting simply for the fact that I am rarely pushing down hills, so don't need the tall gearing, and I can stay ing the 50 longer and don't need to futz with my front derailleur in the middle of traffic.
Yes and no. They are just gear ratios and you can configure both to have the same gears (ratios). In a nutshell, using common rear cogs you can get higher ratios with a standard crankset and lower ratios with a compact. I think we agree on this. My point is that the high and low limits (and where most of the nit-picking is) are beyond the reach or need of most riders.
Old 03-22-12, 08:30 AM
badhat
impressive member

Bikes: c'dale supersix, jamis trilogy, spec. tricross

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i run a 52/36 compact with cassettes from 11/23 to 11/28 depending on the route/race

incredibly rare that i've missed that one extra tooth and often been glad i had the 36 vs a 39.

on top of which its a wider range than 52/39 with less redundancy.
Old 03-22-12, 08:31 AM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColinL
personally I don't see myself buying a standard crank just for the gearing. I'd be doing it to get lighter cranks

Wut!

You'd compromise gearing for a few ounces?!?
Old 03-22-12, 08:37 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My point is that the high and low limits (and where most of the nit-picking is) are beyond the reach or need of most riders.
Does nobody making this observation live in an area with hills? If you are trying to push hard on even a modest downhill, you'll want that high gearing. My climbing cassette is actually an 11-28 (with a standard crankset) so I can get some low gears but can also push the pace going downhill with the 53/11. There have been several races and rides where I have spun out the 53/12. This doesn't mean I can push that gear on the flats for any significant distance.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 03-22-12, 08:49 AM
shon73

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sirrus Sport, 2011 Specialized Allez Double

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't know if I have much to add to the discussion here, but I'll put in my 2 cents. If you regularly climb, you would probably prefer the compact. I originally wanted a compact, but ended up with a standard double. About a week later, I tried climb a fairly long, steep grade and wore myself out. I was really wishing for a compact/32 that day! But, now that I've been riding more, I really appreciate the gearing of the standard. I haven't gone back to that hill yet, though. That would be the real test! Personally, I really like my standard and don't know if I'd ever go to a compact - although I might consider one of the mid-compact options.

Shon
Old 03-22-12, 09:02 AM
chadteck

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exactly.

The reason for comparing those two gear sets is that it doesn't make much sense to have a larger gear than what they offer.

A 53/12 at 110 RPM is 38.1 MPH and a 50/11 is 39.2 MPH. If you are moving at that speed or greater and you're descending, you're better off tucking. If you're moving at that speed and you're on a flat, you're sprinting and can likely kick up the RPM a bit if you need even more speed.

I own a standard myself, but I know some successful racers that use compact.
Old 03-22-12, 09:04 AM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does nobody making this observation live in an area with hills? If you are trying to push hard on even a modest downhill, you'll want that high gearing. My climbing cassette is actually an 11-28 (with a standard crankset) so I can get some low gears but can also push the pace going downhill with the 53/11. There have been several races and rides where I have spun out the 53/12. This doesn't mean I can push that gear on the flats for any significant distance.
Persactly - its one thing to talk cranksets in the flat country (FL, MS, KS, etc) or hilly country (much of elsewhere). Myself, though, I need the bottom side more than the top - my pucker string gets pretty taut on downhills where I spin out my 50/11.

I love my CX 46/36 for commuting - I have installed an 11-28 cassette, the result being I can big-ring most all of my commute (all of it in warmer weather when I am in better shape) and I still have good CX gearing. Rode the CX as my road bike all last year, and didn't need more than the 46 but a few times, and probably rode 75% or more of the time in the big ring.

Got my road bike in October, with 50/34 on the front. I have occasionally used 50/11 on a downhill, but the legs attached to my fat old butt can't push the big/small very far at all. I frequently (sadly) resort to the 34/28 on longer steep hills, but only notice a bit of relief compared to my 46/36 on the CX bike.

The compact works very well for me, but may or may not do so for the OP. As to standard, pre-history standards, etc, I remind myself of this sad fact - the hills I roll up with gearing, sometimes granny, I would have puttered up on my old JCPenny StingRay bike as a 10-year-old. I try to not remind myself of it very often.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.