Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin RTL510 and Fenix 5X Issues

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-20, 08:25 PM
BruceA78

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Diverge Expert Carbon & 2020 Specialized Sirrus 6.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 28 Posts

I recently purchased a Garmin RTL510 (and Varia UT800) and paired them to my Garmin Fenix 5X watch and went for my first ride today. I didn't have the UT800 on but I did have the RTL510 on and could see it was working with my watch, but I seemed to have issues with the GPS functions of my watch, half the time it didn't record my speed and it took like 2 minutes to even start recording my starting point (when it always has synched to GPS immediately and not had an issue). In my garmin app it basically shows my speed for 1 minute, followed by a speed of 0 for another minute and then back to the actual speed and then back and forth. The Fenix 5X is listed as compatible with the RTL510 & UT800 so I don't see why it would be an issue. I am going to try and update the firmware on the RTL510 (if there is an update available) and try it out again tomorrow but was wondering if anyone has encountered anything similar.

I'm on the fence about getting a Garmin Edge bike computer since I already have a watch with most of the same functionality, but the larger display does seem appealing, I just wish they made basically an external display that would synch to my watch and not have all of the built in GPS sensors that I could just extend my display from my watch to, but I guess businesses are in business to make money, not offer me cheaper alternatives!
Old 06-09-20, 08:37 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Did you just turn on the GPS function of your watch and go ride? In poor reception it can take a while to get a lock on the satellites. When moving, that is even more difficult.
Old 06-09-20, 01:07 PM
BruceA78

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Diverge Expert Carbon & 2020 Specialized Sirrus 6.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 28 Posts
I feel like a moron, somehow when I was setting up the RTL510 radar in the bike app I switched the GPS mode to Ultratrac: UltraTrac mode is a GPS setting that periodically turns off GPS to save battery power. When GPS is off, the device uses the accelerometer to calculate speed and distance. Speed, distance, and track data accuracy are reduced in UltraTrac mode.

I did a 15 mile ride this morning and everything is back to normal, but thanks for the reply Iride01!
Old 06-10-20, 07:07 AM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceA78
I'm on the fence about getting a Garmin Edge bike computer since I already have a watch with most of the same functionality, but the larger display does seem appealing, I just wish they made basically an external display that would synch to my watch and not have all of the built in GPS sensors that I could just extend my display from my watch to, but I guess businesses are in business to make money, not offer me cheaper alternatives!
You can have any Garmin Edge display the data from a Garmin watch. Simply select extend display on the Edge device, and let it find your watch. You will then see the watch data on the Edge. I haven't found much use for this as I don't wear my Instinct when I ride.

Edit: If you want more information on extending the display DC Rainmaker had a write-up on: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/06/...d-display.html

Last edited by RGMN; 06-10-20 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Added link