Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

1983/4 Ross Signature Series Mt. McKinley

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1983/4 Ross Signature Series Mt. McKinley

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-20, 06:22 PM
Cyclist3098765
Banned.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
"Was." It's now "Denali."
Is that like the twin peaks of Mt Kilimanjaro?
Old 01-21-20, 07:22 PM
Cyclist3098765
Banned.

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I dunno. Locals have called it Denali since well before the '80s.

"Mt McKinley" is no more.
Indeed the locals have called it Denali for centuries. The U.S. Department of Interior officially changed the name in 2015.
Old 01-22-20, 09:37 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by tps5352
It says "Mt. McKinley," the name of the model. It is interesting, to me, that Ross chose a series of west coast mountains as names for their mountain bikes. A nod to the west coast origin (that's right, isn't it?) of mountain bikes, I guess.

Would the numbers stamped into the bottom of the B/B shell contain any information about builder?

580 2529
84 020

I assume they mean 20th bike of 1984. Maybe Model #? Maybe number out of all Custom shop bikes? I don't know.

I read that Tom Kellogg was there for two years, but that he probably left Ross before 1983.
580 is the model number.
25 is the frame size,in inches.
29 is the colour code (Concord Blue)
84 is year of manufacture
020 is the sequential frame number for the year

At this time, Redcay was at Ross. Signature models were designed by him but not necessarily built by him. However, you have two things in your favcour. That S/N format was used on Kellog and Redcay built frames. It is also lugged. The other Ross Signature series ATB model in 1984 was the Signature 586 (aka Mt. Whitney) and it was TIG welded. If Redcay was building any ATB model it would have been the top of the line, lugged, Mt. McKinley.

Redcay wasn't one of the ATB pioneers, so despite his frame builder reputation, they don't command the same esteem as something like an early Ritchey or Fisher of the same era. However, they are still quite desirable, as Ross were well respected in the day, thanks to the sponsorship of the Ross Indians, arguably the first professional ATB team, which won a number of races during the this period. The team bicyces were Mt. McKinleys.

I still think the way to go on this is a part out. The hubs and seat post are quite desirable and the most of the rest just doesn't fit a high grade ATB of the era. Anybody who wants the frame is probably going to seek out OEM spec equipment. Also, 25" is huge for an ATB frame, so that will limit potential buyers. Finally, they're also going to have to invest in repaint and re-decal, so that will further limit what they will offer. They'll be investing a big chunk of money, so I don't see much money in the frame even if it a Redcay. However, if you get two people bidding against each other on something like Ebay, you might get a pleasant surprise.
Old 01-22-20, 10:15 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by Jp42
The serial number on my Kellogg Ross reads 200 (model) 2412 (size) 09 (month) 81 (year) 082 (sequence number of 1981) as I understand it.

Yours being model 580, size 25", year 84, the 20th bike built that year sounds about right.

As for the name, Mt. McKinley is the highest peak in the US, so the top of the line bike is named accordingly. I think the lesser models were named after smaller mountains in order of height / place in the lineup.
'2412' is actually a combination of the frame size (1st and 2nd numerals) and the colour code (3rd and 4th numerals). In this case, the '12' indicates Peacock Blue.

Ross model numbers were comprised of the model code, size and colour code. In your case, the model number would be 200-2412.
Old 01-22-20, 10:57 AM
Cyclist3098765
Banned.

Originally Posted by T-Mar
'2412' is actually a combination of the frame size (1st and 2nd numerals) and the colour code (3rd and 4th numerals). In this case, the '12' indicates Peacock Blue.

Ross model numbers were comprised of the model code, size and colour code. In your case, the model number would be 200-2412.
Thanks for the clarification. I thought that was the color code but wasn't sure.
Old 01-27-20, 01:09 PM
es1bkacsur

Bikes: Custom Cannondale built from spare parts.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
opps, didn't realize how different your Ross Signature & mine are so there's no price comparison between the two. I do think the seat mounting, handlebar mounts, brakes being unusual & the overall quirkiness of it is really cool.
Old 01-27-20, 01:23 PM
es1bkacsur

Bikes: Custom Cannondale built from spare parts.

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not sure if this applies to this bike but when I was researching my 924S Signature road bike the original handmade frames were built by Brian Redcay & were identified by the letter "K" in red paint on the head badge (a red "K" for Redcay)
Old 08-06-23, 06:35 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Bikes: 1983 Ross Paragon

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 51 Posts
Is a 1983 Ross Utopian a good bike?

Ive been looking for a Ross Paragon but recently saw a Ross Utopia that my brother in law owns from 1983. Does anyone have any info on this bikes quality? Thanks.
Old 08-07-23, 05:22 AM
hazetguy 
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 1643 Post(s)
Liked 2,240 Times in 1,052 Posts
Originally Posted by BikePower
Ive been looking for a Ross Paragon but recently saw a Ross Utopia that my brother in law owns from 1983. Does anyone have any info on this bikes quality? Thanks.
Some paragon & utopian info and specs can be found in this post/thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post22202169

search, read through, and post your questions, pics, etc in that thread.

paragon is "better" than a utopian.
Likes For hazetguy:
Old 08-07-23, 06:10 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by BikePower
As you will find if you read the various threads on Ross bikes, that they had a range of quality. Some are very, very well built and outfitted. And of course, they also made their share of "department store" quality bikes as well. I have seen a "Signature" model up close and it was nicely constructed.
Old 08-07-23, 06:28 AM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Bikes: 1983 Ross Paragon

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
Some paragon & utopian info and specs can be found in this post/thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post22202169

search, read through, and post your questions, pics, etc in that thread.

paragon is "better" than a utopian.
excelent! thank you very much, found the spec sheet page there!