Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

The Hour Record

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-15, 12:38 AM
jerktimus

Bikes: Trek 1400 and Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Hour Record

So I know that the hour record is now unified so that use of a modern pursuit bike is legal. Does this mean that you can't do it the old way? Is there a separate category for the old style (Merckx-style) bikes? Also, are there state level records? Thanks.
Old 12-16-15, 08:14 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by jerktimus
So I know that the hour record is now unified so that use of a modern pursuit bike is legal. Does this mean that you can't do it the old way? Is there a separate category for the old style (Merckx-style) bikes? Also, are there state level records? Thanks.
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Any event that can be ridden with pursuit bars and aero helmets can be ridden with drop bars and a normal helmet. Any event. Kilo, Individual Pursuit, Team Pursuit, The Hour, etc...

As far as a separate category for Merckx-style or not, it depends on who is keeping score: UCI, USA Cycling, ATRA, Your Local Velodrome.

I've never seen UCI, USA Cycling, or ATRA keep state-level records of any kind. It really depends on your local governing body. Your profile lists you as being in Texas. So, it would be up to TXBRA. If TXBRA keeps state-level records, then you should tell them that you'd like to set the state record for The Hour and get their advice on how to do it officially.
Old 12-16-15, 08:45 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Rather than a state record in the USA, there are usually track records. Inquire with your velodrome about whether they keep track records (they should) and what they are.

Note that there are official records (sort of - like the UCI Hour Record) and unofficial ones. If your velodrome wants to put an item on its webpage under Track Records for the Merckx-style Hour, then that means that you can set one.

In the 1990s, a few folks did Hour Records at my local velodrome. It was set at 45.Xkm by a guy who's still racing today (and holds a master's world record and a few world championships).
Old 12-16-15, 08:49 AM
jerktimus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw that Alkek (Houston) had a record that was set in the nineties. Similar time to the one at your velo, queerpunk. The Supersrome in Frisco doesn't have anything listed on its web site, but I bet I could ask. More curious than anything, but who know? Maybe one day.
Old 12-16-15, 10:45 AM
carleton
Elitist

The key to doing a record-setting attempt is to have the right officials on-hand.

For an international (UCI) record, you need UCI officials and drug testing on hand. I've only seen UCI Officials and drug testing at Elite and Masters track nationals. I've also seen a guy try for the Master's Hour record early one morning during the week-long Masters Track Nationals because there were UCI officials on-site for the other racing that week. So, they woke up early to make a few extra bucks.

Basically, you inform the organizers that you would like to make an attempt. You may have to pay for the officials and drug testing and track fees. Any international effort counts towards a National record. You could go to Cali, Colombia and miss the Hour record but beat the US time and it would stand as the US Record if you are a US citizen.

For a local record, you simply have to have a local velodrome official on hand and permission to use the track. *IF* you want that attempt to count towards a National record then you have to have a USA Cycling official officiate. *IF* you want that attempt to count towards a UCI Hour record, then you have to have a UCI Official officiate it and drug testing on site.

These attempts can happen pretty much anytime day or night or anytime of the year as long as you can organize the crew needed.
Old 12-16-15, 10:50 AM
carleton
Elitist

BTW, all of the above goes for any type of record (flying 200m, 500M, flying lap, 1K, 2K, 3K, 4K...)

When Jimmy Watkins set the ADT flying 200M track record a couple of years ago, he did it in training. Why did it count? Because Jamie Staff timed him and Jamie Staff is a trusted track official.

It doesn't have to happen during an event or race.

You could literally go out this afternoon and set an Hour Record at your local track if you get a local track official to go with you and count your laps.
Old 12-16-15, 11:00 AM
carleton
Elitist

It's my understanding that, for UCI records, drug testing is mandatory.

So, if I go to masters track nationals and set a new UCI record for men 40-45, in order for that to be recognized I have to be tested immediately afterwards. You will hear people called over the intercom. "Will Joe Blow report to the announcer's booth..."

Who pays for it is the question.

I *think* that random drug screening is not paid for by the athlete. But, any athlete who breaks a record does not have to take a drug test. But, UCI says, "If you want us to recognize your record, you must pass a drug test.". So, I've heard of athletes having to pay for their drug test. This is also why records aren't immediately recognized because it takes a few weeks for drug tests to come back.

This is why you'll hear things like, "He broke the flying 200M world record for masters, but drug testers were not on site, so UCI won't recognize it." or "He broke the flying 200M world record but didn't want to pay for the drug testing, which isn't cheap."

So, this is why you will see US records that are faster than UCI World Records. USA cycling may not require an immediate drug test, but UCI does.

Last edited by carleton; 12-16-15 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-21-15, 09:00 AM
defspace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jerktimus
I saw that Alkek (Houston) had a record that was set in the nineties. Similar time to the one at your velo, queerpunk. The Supersrome in Frisco doesn't have anything listed on its web site, but I bet I could ask. More curious than anything, but who know? Maybe one day.
FYI:
Texans on the Track - Texas Bike Racing : Texas Bike Racing
He pulled it off: 46.748km
Old 12-21-15, 09:36 AM
jerktimus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I saw he had done that when I was snooping around on Saturday. Did it a couple of months ago this year. Pretty awesome if you ask me! Maybe one day...
Old 01-22-16, 11:25 AM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
New Women's hour record

Bridie O’Donnell broke the women’s UCI Hour Record on Friday, setting a new benchmark of 46.882 kilometres at the Super-Drome in Adelaide.
Old 01-22-16, 04:49 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Watched the live stream on and off last night. Great effort, but wondering how much further she could have gone if she stuck closer to the black line? As most of the laps I saw she was hovering around the red line...
Old 02-23-16, 02:10 AM
carleton
Elitist

"Evelyn Stevens to attempt Women’s UCI Hour Record"

2012 Olympian and five-time UCI Road World Championships medalist Evelyn Stevens (San Francisco, Calif./Boels-Dolmans) will attempt to break the Women’s UCI Hour Record on Feb. 27 at 12 p.m. MST / 8 p.m. CET in Colorado Springs, Colo.
https://www.usacycling.org/evelyn-ste...our-record.htm
Old 02-27-16, 01:23 PM
MarkWW

Bikes: A little of each

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Evelyn's attempt is live streaming now: Live coverage: Evelyn Stevens hour record - VeloNews.com
Old 02-27-16, 02:16 PM
700wheel

She beat the existing record by around 1 km.
Old 02-27-16, 03:01 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by 700wheel
She beat the existing record by around 1 km.
Wooooo! That's awesome

Evelyn Stevens rode 47.980km in a near perfect hour under the dome in Colorado Springs to topple Bridie O’Donnell’s current women’s world hour record by over a kilometer.

The two-time U.S. national time trial champion missed the all-time mark set by Jeannie Longo in 1996, who used “superman” position, by less than 200 meters, but now holds the official UCI hour record.
https://velonews.competitor.com/2016/...-record_396687

That's great news for the track and its new dome, too!
Old 02-27-16, 03:04 PM
carleton
Elitist

Also, take note: You don't need $7,000 wheels to go fast
Old 02-27-16, 03:32 PM
carleton
Elitist

Photos of training: https://velonews.competitor.com/2016/...lodrome_395900

I wonder what this is:

Old 02-27-16, 05:10 PM
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Stevens

Photo gallery: Evelyn Stevens? Specialized S-Works Shiv TT Hour Record bike | Ella
Old 02-27-16, 06:06 PM
carleton
Elitist

Nice bike. But this is what I mean by

Originally Posted by carleton
I'd venture to guess that most track bikes are "designed" in a conference room. "Hey, Frank, can you put track ends on that road frame over there?" Frank is like, "Sure." Boom. Done. New "track bike" on the market.

Also, the crappy track ends work for most riders. So, why re-engineer something for the small percentage of the riders who will have problems pulling wheels? "Just tell 'em to use a chain tensioner." Boom. "Problem solved". Which is a shame.

The problem is that that small percentage of the market is like large percentage of the competitors (sprinters). So, if they are looking to make a bike that is designed for competition, then they should take dropouts very seriously. This is why some of the high end comp bikes all have unique dropout designs (BT, LOOK 496/L96, TK1, Tiemeyer), but most do not.

It's like the bike manufacturers simply don't want to bother with it. They would rather a few people deal with slipping dropouts than re-engineer them.

These dropouts are remarkably short. Road TT dropouts are made this way to allow the rider to jam the rear wheel up into the seat stay:

BTW, those are road cranks and I'm pretty sure that the rear dropout spacing is road 130mm:

So, for all of you TT nerds out there considering this bike for you: This is a sweet fixy conversion.

And if you are a strong Kilo rider that is considering this bike, it doesn't have great dropouts.

Last edited by carleton; 02-27-16 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-27-16, 07:43 PM
TrackMonkey7

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
...for all of you TT nerds out there considering this bike for you: This is a sweet fixy conversion.
Dangit, I was just gonna ask about that. I didn't see (and still don't) the derailleur hanger; perhaps they filed it off for completely obsessive aero gainz. I've been hoping since Specialized released the Langster Pro that they'd do a carbon S-Works one like they do with every other category of bike, but I never got my hopes too high.
Old 02-27-16, 08:26 PM
700wheel

Originally Posted by TrackMonkey7
Dangit, I was just gonna ask about that. I didn't see (and still don't) the derailleur hanger; perhaps they filed it off for completely obsessive aero gainz. I've been hoping since Specialized released the Langster Pro that they'd do a carbon S-Works one like they do with every other category of bike, but I never got my hopes too high.
I watched the event on Cyclingnews.com. One of the interviewees said that the hangers were "ground off."
Old 02-27-16, 08:31 PM
carleton
Elitist

It's just a particular model of the Shiv with the hanger shaved off as you noted.

I'm not that familiar with the Shiv line. But here are some pics of the version with the horizontal dropouts.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to use the Shiv for track. It's obviously possible. But, that frame without the bars or cranks is $2,500. With the bars and cranks it's $5,000. With that kind of money, you have lots of options.
Old 02-27-16, 08:34 PM
carleton
Elitist

To be honest, Specialized has more to gain by having her set the record using this frame than a track frame. The triathletes will go nuts and buy it based on this added publicity. The Hour Record is a paramount Time Trial achievement. They will notice.
Old 02-27-16, 09:00 PM
700wheel

Evelyn said she is used to her road (ITT) Shiv and wanted to ride the same geometry/position for her hour attempt.

More details on her bike here:
Assembling Evelyn Stevens' hour-record attempt bike | Cyclingnews.com
Old 02-27-16, 09:33 PM
bobbyl1966

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you know if any rider have break or tried break the eddy merckx hour record in the same track the eddy merckx had break the hour record. Eddy merckx used 52/14 make me i think i try on my bike with the 53/39 crank i have if i can found 9 speeds cassette start from 14 cog or 13 maybe. I dont think the 12 cog is go be useful for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.