Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

How Much Should I Offer For This Ross Bike?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-23, 01:51 PM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts

This has been on here a while. Assuming it doesn't need anything what should I offer? I realize this is a department store bike but something about those are nostalgic to me. I was thinking $60 but maybe it's not even worth that. Looks like it says Murray on it but the tires wner can't say much more about it.

Likes For RoadWearier:
Old 04-15-23, 02:07 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
It is a Ross, albeit a lower-end one. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_(bicycle_company)

Some of the components look decent. Nothing special, but clean at least. Doubt the bike saw much road time.

And as always, we need to know what your desire is based on. Are you wanting a cheap rider that if it gets stolen from the bike rack isn't going to be the end of the world? Are you hoping to refurbish it and make a buck?

Values would differ possibly in either case, and then the biggest and most important question is, if you do with to ride it, would it even fit you?
Old 04-15-23, 03:56 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by TugaDude
It is a Ross, albeit a lower-end one. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_(bicycle_company)

Some of the components look decent. Nothing special, but clean at least. Doubt the bike saw much road time.

And as always, we need to know what your desire is based on. Are you wanting a cheap rider that if it gets stolen from the bike rack isn't going to be the end of the world? Are you hoping to refurbish it and make a buck?

Values would differ possibly in either case, and then the biggest and most important question is, if you do with to ride it, would it even fit you?

All good questions. I'd like a city bike I can also take on 10-20 mile rides Not looking to profit but would like to break even if I don't like it.
Old 04-15-23, 04:48 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
Paint and chrome look nice enough. I think $60 is about right if bearings feel okay and wheels spin true. Also check that the tires are good as the cost of replacing the tires approaches what you are prepared to pay for the entire bike. Good luck!
Old 04-15-23, 05:21 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
Nostalgic bike to toodle around the neighborhood is fine at $60. Expect to enjoy anything more out of this bike and you'd be better off building your budget for something nicer.
Old 04-15-23, 05:22 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by Insidious C.
Paint and chrome look nice enough. I think $60 is about right if bearings feel okay and wheels spin true. Also check that the tires are good as the cost of replacing the tires approaches what you are prepared to pay for the entire bike. Good luck!
Yah I'm assuming 27 inch rims. Are tires more costly for that size?
Old 04-15-23, 05:45 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
That is a unique very tall bike. 62cm? Are you a little over 6 foot tall?

27" is still widely available, although the selection is a bit more limited to 700c (and various 700c derivatives). They may even sell tires at your favorite department store.

Around here I wouldn't expect a bike that was ready to ride to be less than $100.

On the flip side, I consider every bike that I get as needing a full tuneup, unless perhaps it was bought from a bike flipper that can tell you what has been done (greasing hubs, headset, bottom bracket, new cables, etc).
Old 04-15-23, 08:46 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
It looks a bit tall so unless you are too it isn't worth it. But if it fits, and the the tubes and tires don't need replaced as others have mentioned, and you want it, $60 is fair enough IMHO

Old 04-15-23, 09:34 PM
RoadWearier

Yeah I thought it looked tall too but I'm not the greatest judge by pics alone. I'm only 5'10 so maybe I won't bother
Old 04-15-23, 09:58 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Yeah I thought it looked tall too but I'm not the greatest judge by pics alone. I'm only 5'10 so maybe I won't bother
You can probably ride it. But it is a bit on the large size. Some people don't like the top tube right in their crotch, although really, one doesn't smash oneself getting on and off.

For vintage road bikes, you can roughly gauge the size by looking at the head tube length, as well as the rear seat stay design.

A bike with about that long of a head tube will be in the range of 60cm to 62cm.
A bike with the top tube and down tube more or less meeting together will be somewhere around 50cm.

You'll probably be most comfortable on a bike around 55cm to 56cm. That will be halfway between those two.

There are, of course, even taller frames. Consider double that headtube length will be about 70cm, and difficult to ride without stilts.

Vintage MTBs and cyclocross bikes will have more space around the tires, and it throws the estimates off a bit. More modern bikes have similar theoretical measurements, but will have a sloping top tube which makes them harder to evaluate.
Old 04-16-23, 06:22 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
That bike is too large and you can do better at $60.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 04-16-23, 06:43 AM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by CliffordK
You can probably ride it. But it is a bit on the large size. Some people don't like the top tube right in their crotch, although really, one doesn't smash oneself getting on and off.

For vintage road bikes, you can roughly gauge the size by looking at the head tube length, as well as the rear seat stay design.

A bike with about that long of a head tube will be in the range of 60cm to 62cm.
A bike with the top tube and down tube more or less meeting together will be somewhere around 50cm.

You'll probably be most comfortable on a bike around 55cm to 56cm. That will be halfway between those two.

There are, of course, even taller frames. Consider double that headtube length will be about 70cm, and difficult to ride without stilts.

Vintage MTBs and cyclocross bikes will have more space around the tires, and it throws the estimates off a bit. More modern bikes have similar theoretical measurements, but will have a sloping top tube which makes them harder to evaluate.
That's a good rule of thumb. I'll have to remember that. Thanks
Old 04-16-23, 11:30 AM
TugaDude

You’d be better off looking for something closer to 56cm to 57cm probably. That one is too big IMHO.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 04-16-23, 01:34 PM
RoadWearier

You’d be better off looking for something closer to 56cm to 57cm probably. That one is too big IMHO.
You are probably right....see my other post and tell me your thoughts...it might be too big although I look weird on a 56cm bike. I think because I have a long torso and am broad up top I look like a gorilla riding a tricycle. This other one is a 58cm
Old 04-16-23, 01:35 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by bikemig
That bike is too large and you can do better at $60.

Tell me if you think the other bike is too big if you don't mind. It's a 58.
Old 04-16-23, 01:36 PM
RoadWearier

this is a "Schwinn 4130" no other info right now

It's a 58cm but last rider was 6ft. I feel weird Android look weird on a 56cm or medium 17.5 hybrid and prefer 20 inch hybrid. By the books the 58cm might be too big but I thought it's worth a shot? Think it's a leTour of some type?
Old 04-16-23, 01:53 PM
TugaDude

It might work. Top tube length is also important. Stand over is less important than how it fits when you are actually ride. Several of mine have little to no clearance, but feel perfect when pedaling. Never once caused any issues.

58cm is possible and to me the bike is an upgrade over the Ross.
Old 04-16-23, 01:54 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts

this is a "Schwinn 4130" no other info right now

It's a 58cm but last rider was 6ft. I feel weird Android look weird on a 56cm or medium 17.5 hybrid and prefer 20 inch hybrid. By the books the 58cm might be too big but I thought it's worth a shot? Think it's a leTour of some type?
Hard to tell what it is, those are poor pics (I know they are not yours). You need something around a 56-57 and can likely ride a 58 as well. Also it matters whether the bike is measured center to center or center to top.

You should start a separate thread in C&V valuation saying something like WTB a bike. In that thread, tell folks how tall you are (leg inseam matters more than height but height gives you a ballpark idea) and where you live. The posters will track down bikes for you. There's nothing better than spending someone else's money, right? You can put on bikes you like as well. That way you'll have an idea of which bikes are good for you to think about buying.
Old 04-16-23, 03:37 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by bikemig
Hard to tell what it is, those are poor pics (I know they are not yours). You need something around a 56-57 and can likely ride a 58 as well. Also it matters whether the bike is measured center to center or center to top.

You should start a separate thread in C&V valuation saying something like WTB a bike. In that thread, tell folks how tall you are (leg inseam matters more than height but height gives you a ballpark idea) and where you live. The posters will track down bikes for you. There's nothing better than spending someone else's money, right? You can put on bikes you like as well. That way you'll have an idea of which bikes are good for you to think about buying.
Sound advice. Thanks
Old 04-16-23, 04:05 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
it might be too big although I look weird on a 56cm bike. I think because I have a long torso and am broad up top I look like a gorilla riding a tricycle.

It's a 58cm but last rider was 6ft. I feel weird Android look weird on a 56cm or medium 17.5 hybrid and prefer 20 inch hybrid. By the books the 58cm might be too big but I thought it's worth a shot?
I'm thinking if you have a long torso, your legs are going to be a bit shorter. I'm also 5'-10" and this bike is a 23"/58cm. I love riding this bike and everything feels great when riding it. However there is zero standover clearance and it is probably as tall as I would want to go. Both of the bikes you are looking at appear to be in a condition you should be able to "try them on for size". What you feel like on the bike is going to be more important IMHO than what you think you look like. A bike that doesn't fit is not going to be a good purchase if you can't enjoy riding it.

Old 04-16-23, 11:20 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
I hate to say it but bike #2 is not 58cm. I would guess more like 61cm. Don't be discouraged. You will find the perfect bike soon enough.
Old 04-17-23, 07:01 AM
TugaDude

It might work. Top tube length is also important. Stand over is less important than how it fits when you are actually ride. Several of mine have little to no clearance, but feel perfect when pedaling. Never once caused any issues.

58cm is possible and to me the bike is an upgrade over the Ross.
Yeah, now that I look more closely it does appear to be larger than 58cm. Probably a 25" frame.
Old 04-17-23, 08:33 AM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by Insidious C.
I hate to say it but bike #2 is not 58cm. I would guess more like 61cm. Don't be discouraged. You will find the perfect bike soon enough.

Yeah I'm passing. I'm back to the Trek 7000 (FX?) Hybrid that's somewhat close to me. We couldn't get our schedules in line last weekend
Old 04-17-23, 09:14 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
check the older ads on offerup, you can get a deal sometimes.
https://offerup.com/item/detail/4685...ed956a1?q=bike
Who knows if its still out there, but it's worth asking about. And if they still have it, offer half of asking.
Old 04-21-23, 09:38 AM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by Schweinhund
check the older ads on offerup, you can get a deal sometimes.
https://offerup.com/item/detail/4685...ed956a1?q=bike
Who knows if its still out there, but it's worth asking about. And if they still have it, offer half of asking.

Ok cool. They sent me a phone code. Is this site legit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.