Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Rouvy issue - Power and Cadence correct, speed WAY off. Anyone?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-23, 09:22 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts

I know what my speed is supposed to look like based on power, cadence, gradient etc. numbers in real life.
In Rouvy:
- climbing = good
- flat = fast (no way that I would be doing 3w/kg and moving at over 35kmh)
- downhill = stupid fast even not spinning

I have noticed this issue when my wife riding the same route with me, all of a sudden started getting dropped and i would finish the route (lets say 50km) 5-10 minutes ahead? Her average speed would be 30ish kmh and my 35kmh.
Any ideas? If we were not riding together, who cares, but in case I would like to see proper numbers.

Me = Kicker Core, correct weight and height checked
Her = Tacx Flux S, correct weight and height checked
Old 12-11-23, 10:27 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyravr
I know what my speed is supposed to look like based on power, cadence, gradient etc. numbers in real life.
In Rouvy:
- climbing = good
- flat = fast (no way that I would be doing 3w/kg and moving at over 35kmh)
- downhill = stupid fast even not spinning

I have noticed this issue when my wife riding the same route with me, all of a sudden started getting dropped and i would finish the route (lets say 50km) 5-10 minutes ahead? Her average speed would be 30ish kmh and my 35kmh.
Any ideas? If we were not riding together, who cares, but in case I would like to see proper numbers.

Me = Kicker Core, correct weight and height checked
Her = Tacx Flux S, correct weight and height checked
That climbing is about right but flat and descending isn't means Rouvy's estimate of your CdA is off from your actual CdA. Is your wife's speed for power about right, or is hers off too? If her estimates are off, then Rouvy is at fault. If hers are about right, then either 1) there's a weird and extreme error in Rouvy's calculation that only applies to you, 2) the Kicker Core is transmitting the wrong data to Rouvy, or 3) in real life you're a parachute.
Likes For RChung:
Old 12-11-23, 01:35 PM
crazyravr

Originally Posted by RChung
That climbing is about right but flat and descending isn't means Rouvy's estimate of your CdA is off from your actual CdA. Is your wife's speed for power about right, or is hers off too? If her estimates are off, then Rouvy is at fault. If hers are about right, then either 1) there's a weird and extreme error in Rouvy's calculation that only applies to you, 2) the Kicker Core is transmitting the wrong data to Rouvy, or 3) in real life you're a parachute.
I have never thought of that!!!!
I am 188cm and she is 156cm, in real life. Also in real life, she will typically ride behind me (ie. the parachute or wind block), just happily. Is there a way to compensate for this in Rouvy by changing either setting?
Old 12-11-23, 04:07 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyravr
I have never thought of that!!!!
I am 188cm and she is 156cm, in real life. Also in real life, she will typically ride behind me (ie. the parachute or wind block), just happily. Is there a way to compensate for this in Rouvy by changing either setting?
Hmmm. I'm guessing that if you fiddle with weight it's going to throw your climbing speed off. If you're convinced that your climbing speed is okay but you think you're a parachute, I guess you could try making yourself even taller in Rouvy. That will increase your frontal area without penalizing you (much) on climbs.
Likes For RChung:
Old 12-11-23, 06:11 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
This thread should be in https://www.bikeforums.net/indoor-st...cycling-forum/ .

Are you riding in TT or Just Ride mode? Just Ride mode allows for drafting, which would benefit the rider behind especially on downhills and flat terrain. Instead of riding side-by-side, she should draft you just as she does in real life. I ride on Rouvy this way with my wife. Note that W matters way more than W/kg on the flat and weight makes a big difference going downhill in Rouvy, moreso than in real life.

I would also check which bike you two have selected. Different frames offer different weight and aero properties. To equalize difficulty you can use the default Rouvy bike and she can use a more aero frame, if she has accumulated enough coins -- the best all-rounder is currently the Cervelo S5, which is both more aero and lighter.
Likes For surak:
Old 12-12-23, 08:16 AM
crazyravr

Riding in "just ride" mode. Not interested in competitions at all, thats what real life riding is for even here she cannot really hold a wheel on flats on downhills, which is very strange.
I will make sure to check the bikes in setting and maybe ease up more on flats or downhills. Hoping to get this resolved because we really like riding rouvy.

Moving this to the other forum.