Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Two years of commuting and for the first time ...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-10, 03:34 AM
Alareth

Bikes: Trek 5220, "upgraded" big box Schwinn commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

... I was pulled over by a cop.

I had stayed abnormally late at work cleaning up and organizing the back room of the store I manage. I left at around 3:30 AM and took my normal route home.

About a half mile into the trip there are headlights behind me so I move closer to the right to give the car passing room and after a few moments I realize it's a police car and it's pacing me. I come to a stop at a stop sign and that's when the officer starts grilling me.

Where am I going? How far? Why am I out so late on a bike? Where do I work? What is my first and last name?

He eventually ran out of questions and warned me to be careful before driving off and I get the feeling he's going to follow up on my answers to see if I was telling the truth.

I'm slightly annoyed.
Old 04-08-10, 03:56 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Slightly annoyed isn't that bad. I have a late commute since I work the midnight shift and in the winter I wear a black ski mask and ride a hoopty mountain bike. I am actually surprised I haven't been stopped yet!
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 04-08-10, 04:02 AM
mikewille
Frame Catastrophizer

Bikes: Surly Instigator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got stopped once on my way to work by police looking for a guy who had been groping
early morning female joggers and taking off on a bike. (no, it wasn't me)
Old 04-08-10, 04:50 AM
Nigal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would have asked what his probable cause was for detaining you. Jesus, he may as well have asked you in a German accent to, "Please produce your papers.".
Old 04-08-10, 05:26 AM
Invisibl

Bikes: Windsor Cliff 4500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikewille
I got stopped once on my way to work by police looking for a guy who had been groping
you're right, it was me! just kidding
Old 04-08-10, 05:26 AM
labelcd6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I often go running at 4:30 a.m., something I've been doing for 13 years. Last week, I was stopped by two different police cruisers at two different locations in town. It reminded me of Ray Bradbury's short story The Pedestrian.
Old 04-08-10, 05:47 AM
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Alareth
Where am I going? How far? Why am I out so late on a bike? Where do I work? What is my first and last name?
1. None of your buisness where I'm coming from or going to and I'll ride whatever time I please.
2. Am I free to go?
3. Ask to see THEIR ID
4. If you are not free to go, ask why you are being detained.
Old 04-08-10, 06:30 AM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Damn cops.
Old 04-08-10, 06:38 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I've been riding the same route every morning for 9+ years. The police have pulled me over twice.

First time it was because I had run a red light just as the police car was pulling up behind me (Ooops! I hadn't noticed it was a police car). He was mostly laughing at my embarrassment; I pointed out to him that the light was on a sensor and would never have turned green. He didn't believe me, but he was still laughing when he sent me on my way.

Second time, same place, different officer: wanted to tell me my tail light had burned out. I knew that-- I told him it had happened within the last mile. He said yeah I know, I'm used to seeing that light on your bike.

I get the impression the police are on my side.
Old 04-08-10, 06:39 AM
frpax
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Unacceptable. I'd have gotten his badge # and called the Captain and complained.
Old 04-08-10, 06:39 AM
sm1960

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe they were looking for someone for any number of reasons. Could have been a domestic, or break in..whatever
Old 04-08-10, 06:51 AM
emperorcezar
Large and in charge

Bikes: At one point it was a Trek 700 something. Now it have Velocity Psycho wheels, a tape job. Thumb shifters (Shimano Deore). Corncob grouping, and drop bar ends all wrapped up in tape.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sm1960
Maybe they were looking for someone for any number of reasons. Could have been a domestic, or break in..whatever
Or a bike thief ... hopefully.
Old 04-08-10, 06:58 AM
O-Town

Bikes: Seven Axiom Steel, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my neighborhood there are a fair number of people who ride around late and there are a fair number of home owners filing stolen property reports the next morning (I was one of them). If a cop pulled me over at 3am, I would have answered all his questions and thanked him for doing his job.

Yes everyone has their right to privacy but some common sense would lead most law biding people to the same conclusion. There is a reason the cop is asking the questions (like sm1960 pointed out) and it only took a few seconds out of my commute home.
Old 04-08-10, 07:46 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Twice, since moving to Little Rock I've had cops pull me over to tell me to get on the sidewalk. The first one ended up getting a reprimand from their sargent and I discovered that it was illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk in a business district in Little Rock. The second one got a complete refusal to take their advice, specifically because again I was in a business district and would not have a cop order me to do something illegal. He eventually gave up and drove on.

I used to get pulled over regularly when riding on the freeway between Genessee and Sorrento Valley in San Diego. I would explain the situation and the law to the highway patrol officer and promise that they would see the "bicycles must exit" sign at the next exit. They would accompany me down the hill and I would point at the "bicycles must exit" sign and wave to them as I exited.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 04-08-10, 07:46 AM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any chance that cop had any reasonable cause to stop you. Simple small things like running lights can make a difference in how they can discriminate a bicyclist. Obviuos thing like wearing a bike jacket, front light, good bright rear blinkie will give them a better impression and leave you along. However, if you run stealth in the night, then that just more reason for them to give you a hard time.

One of my friends from years back before I started biking was always getting pull over. He was being profile and along with the fact that he only used reflector front/rear/spoke/pedal. He got pulled over just because his rear reflector was pointing down. Soon after he got better setup with cateye blinkie front and rear (that was high tech back then), he never got pulled over again.
Old 04-08-10, 10:00 AM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
My son is a Seattle police officer and he works third watch (evening and overnight hours). He has told me several times that when he sees someone out at 3am he always stops them to find out what they are up to because "generally people who are out at 3am are up to no good". This assesment comes from long experience. If it was your car/home that had just been broken into, you would be happy that the officer was stopping people at 3am and asking a few simple questions - just doing his job. It's too bad you got stopped because you were just trying to get home, but you really cannot blame the officer for wanting to check you out and it sounds like you were asked a few simple questions and left to go on your way.

For those of you who want to give the cops a bad time, all I can say is if you heard 1/10th of the stories that my son has to tell, you would cut them a little slack. They deal with situations and people that the rest of us would never want to. If you get stopped, are not doing anything wrong just answer politely, you'll soon be back on your way - no harm no foul.
Old 04-08-10, 10:18 AM
ollyisk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by O-Town
In my neighborhood there are a fair number of people who ride around late and there are a fair number of home owners filing stolen property reports the next morning (I was one of them). If a cop pulled me over at 3am, I would have answered all his questions and thanked him for doing his job.

Yes everyone has their right to privacy but some common sense would lead most law biding people to the same conclusion. There is a reason the cop is asking the questions (like sm1960 pointed out) and it only took a few seconds out of my commute home.
Agreed. No need to be some knee-jerk anti-government reactionist hard ass because a cop pulls you over and asks you a few questions. Just cooperate and they'll usually send you on your way just as quickly as they pulled you over.

There could be a myriad of reasons he stopped you. Maybe you matched the profile of someone that committed a crime. As an aside: I was driving once with my girlfriend and got pulled over by 4 cop cars, was told to turn the car off, throw the keys out the window, put my hands in the air, and state my name, all while police dogs were barking and a police officer clutching his gun was cautiously walking up the side of my girlfriend's car. It was a simple misunderstanding--her car matched the description of a murder suspect who had fled from the scene of the crime. They asked us a couple of questions and when it was obvious we weren't murderers fleeing the scene of a crime, we were let go without incident. At least we're not in Russia where being mistaken for a suspect can land you a beating and some time in the clink (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4UuQf3j3XI).

You obviously had nothing to hide, and it's not as if he really hassled you, assaulted you, or hauled you away in handcuffs; I fail to see the annoyance here. He was probably just doing his job.
Old 04-08-10, 10:24 AM
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome to 'merika, home of the free
Old 04-08-10, 10:31 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I worked closing shift at a video rental joint and didn't finish my shift until 1:30 on weekends, 12:30 during the week. Afterwards, I usual snag a drink and a snack at a bar on my ride home. My commute took my through an industrial area where there really wasn't any reason a person would be at that hour, except for passing through on a commute, and until the officers and security patrols knew my routine I think I got stopped a dozen times and asked the same questions.
Showing my work ID and telling them where I was headed settled everyone down, and eventually they'd just see me and wave.

Was it a slight annoyance for a while? Sure.
Did I really care? Nah. It's nice to know someone's doing their job, not just sitting on their butt waiting for their shift to end.
Old 04-08-10, 10:41 AM
pathdoc
Hey let's ride.

Bikes: Torelli road bike, Tsunami tandem

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You have to strike a balance between public safety and civil rights. I don't think anyone's civil rights are infringed by being asked a few simple questions.
Old 04-08-10, 10:53 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
He eventually ran out of questions and warned me to be careful before driving off and I get the feeling he's going to follow up on my answers to see if I was telling the truth.
I'm slightly annoyed.
I don't blame him, you sound like quite the trouble maker!

Seriously, this would not have bothered me at all. I would use it as an opportunity to get to know each other. I like having cops on my side.
Old 04-08-10, 11:04 AM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I don't blame him, you sound like quite the trouble maker!

Seriously, this would not have bothered me at all. I would use it as an opportunity to get to know each other. I like having cops on my side.
It would have bothered me. Cops, IME, are like pit bulls. They can be super nice, loving, fantastic family dogs, until they snap and bite your face off. And this is coming from a guy whose brother-in-law is a cop.

If he had no reason to pull you over, he shouldn't have held you there. If he did have a reason that wasn't apparent, he should have told you. "Well, there was a bike stolen in the area with a description matching yours, and I wanted to make sure." If not, he had no reason other than he was just wanting to mess with someone during his slow patrol.
Old 04-08-10, 11:19 AM
Dan The Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was out on a ride in some suburb of L.A. and got pretty lost. I ended up coming back after dark and got pulled over for running a stop sign in a residential neighbourhood. The police searched me for drugs, but they never looked in my water bottle which had my ID, keys, and patch kit, and would realistically be the only place I could have carried drugs. Then they sat me in the back of the squad car and talked to me in Spanish for a while and asked me about gangs and certain neighbourhoods. I didn't understand what they were saying. When I explained that I would leaving their country in two days, they let me go.
Old 04-08-10, 11:22 AM
RogerB

Bikes: Ridley Fenix Disc '15, Centurion Ironman '86, Raleigh Team '90, Bianchi Nyala '93

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikewille
As far as you know...
Old 04-08-10, 11:50 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

I'm slightly annoyed.
You really can't blame him. It wasn't that long ago that 19 terrorists hijacked bicycles and crashed them into the World Trade Center, killing thousands.

I bet you even had shoes. And liquids. And underwear, even. How could a bored police officer at 3 am not think you were a mass murdering terrorist? Or at least want to entertain himself and pass some time by making sure...

Like pathdoc said, there's a balance between public safety and civil rights. Detaining and questioning people just for breathing, does nothing for public safety. I mean, it'd be nice if the police were detaining the guy who actually broke into some house in the neighborhood, rather than the people cycling home after a long night at work. If their plan to find criminals is to detain every person they see until they find the needle in the haystack, then that means public safety is in much worse shape than we thought.

If the officer had any reason to believe you were involved in any sort of crime, he should have told you. Or not released you. Something along the lines of "Well, I stopped you because there was a burglary in the area..." Honestly, though, it sounds as if you were stopped because it was a slow night, and you were an excuse to pass some time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.