Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

possible impotency issue?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-11, 11:45 AM
DavidP730

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im a healthy 19 year old ultra cyclist with a new problem. last year i rode my bike a few thousand miles with no problems. one of my first bike rides this year i went out on a new madone 5.1. after a 50 mile bike ride ive been experiencing a sort of numbness in my penis. could this be from the saddle position? will this numbness go away if i fix the problem right away? how would i fix it? and would i need to get a new saddle, what kind, etc. being 19 years old im not taking this problem lightly.
Old 04-24-11, 11:54 AM
AngelGendy
Nipples of Steel!

Bikes: Borthwick, Specialized, Ross

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I was having the same issue when I was riding 800+ miles a month, and once I changed my saddle it went away. (Brooks Team Pro)

Now I'm hyper sensitive to bike fit.
Old 04-24-11, 11:54 AM
Menel

Bikes: Helix, HonkyTonk, NailTrail

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Does the numbness stop once you get off the bike, within a few seconds/minutes? No harm done, but I would address it.

Could be saddle position, could be saddle shape.

Your new bike obviously fits you different than the other. Move the saddle over, or get another identical one and put it on the new bike.

Specialized dealers have a nice butt sizing tool, makes a great starting point for determining saddle width. Toupe 130 properly adjusted by shop solved all my issues, but everyone's nether region is a bit different.
Old 04-24-11, 12:06 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Play with the positioning of your saddle.
Tilt up, ride. Tilt down, ride. Move forward, back, etc...
See how all these different positions affect you.

The saddle itself might need to be broken in, although
OEM Bontrager saddles are not known for comfort.

I'd say go to an LBS and see if they have a saddle program (where you can borrow different types of saddles).
There also might be a saddle "take-off" bin where you might be able to pick up a saddle someone else upgraded
from that might fit/suit you perfectly and that you'd get at a much lower price.

BTW...congrats on the Madone.
Old 04-24-11, 12:12 PM
rushbikes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tons & tons & tons & tons have been posted on this sort of thing. Search bf with google "site:bikeforums.net" and you'll see what I mean.

Here's the gist: Numbness could be saddle type, bike fit, lower back flexibility or some combination. It's a very common problem amongst cyclists. There are some dr's who believe it could eventually lead to impotency and/or prostate issues down the road.
Old 04-24-11, 12:31 PM
Santaria

Bikes: Surly CC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride (as of this week) 225 miles a week with a long ride of 100 miles. I am familiar with the type of issue you're talking about. I have adjusted my saddle and changed my bar position as well. Ultimately, what I found to work has been rather simple.

Stand up. I had to set up a routine where every 10 or so miles, I got up off the saddle for at least a minute and just ride. I think there is some correlation between long rides and just sitting on the nerves in that region. The longer we sit there, the more we tip forward off our sit bones and that puts the weight onto the pelvic region. In my case, I mash my bits. It's not fun, but I keep aware of the issue and if I feel even a little bit of unwanted pressure, I adjust. Hell, I know I'm not the only one that's had to stop, readjust the chamois and make sure I'm good before I continue.

I will say, however, that I found that PI bibs do not have the best chamois in them, and when they start to get too big, that's the first place you notice it.

I am still riding the OEM Cannondale CAAD9-5 seat (2010) and while I like it, I'd switch it in a heartbeat if Brooks made a white leather seat. I have been eyeing that Sella new CF seat I saw recently. They narrowed the region between your legs avoiding thigh rub (yes, I'm still 27 pounds of fatty fat fat fat) but its designed to help keep you back on your sit bones better.

Last edited by Santaria; 04-24-11 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-24-11, 01:44 PM
Nick Bain

Bikes: Caad8, Mukluk 3, Trek Superfly, Gary Fisher Irwin.

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
check out the fizik flexibility chart. It told me if your not flexible in your hips you will be sitting on your junk. Also if you shorts are too loose they will NOT keep your junk up and out of the way of the seat.
Old 04-24-11, 02:09 PM
Accordion

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Take up running instead. Anytime I would use the words penis and numbness in the same sentence it's time to change sports.
Old 04-24-11, 02:29 PM
CHAS

Bikes: Rawlings Drakkar, Specialized Roubaix, Pivot, Challenge Trike, Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lower your saddle
get a saddle with a big cutout
Selle SMP or similar
Old 04-24-11, 02:37 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
My first long ride (80miles) 40 years ago at age 17. I came back, had no feeling in my crotch and was dribbling urine. Great I thought, 17 y.o. and my sex life is over before I started. 40 years later and countless saddles I had thought some degree of numbness was going to be inevitable no matter what I did. This past year I finally hit the right saddle. The Specialized Ronin is cheap and very effective. It is the only saddle I have ridden with no numbness issues or pain. Second best was the Brooks Pro. I have had five children along the way so I don't think you need to worry about potency issues too much. A good professional fit is a good place to start. If the problem continues try different saddles from a shop that will let you try different models.
Old 04-24-11, 02:44 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've had numbness there too, and for me the problem was saddle positioning. Moving the saddle forward helped a lot but still wasn't quite right so I tilted it forward very slightly as well. Now not only can I put more power down to the pedals but after longer rides I don't have any discomfort there at all.

Before I adjusted the saddle after 20-30 miles I felt like I'd had a reasonable ride. After I adjusted it and figured I was happy on a test ride around the block I did 25 miles and felt like I'd barely warmed up.
Old 04-24-11, 04:03 PM
Nick Bain

Bikes: Caad8, Mukluk 3, Trek Superfly, Gary Fisher Irwin.

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the only problem I have with tilting the saddle down is that your body will want to slide forward and cause excess rubbing on the sit bone area, the other being a sore upper body and numb arms.
Old 04-24-11, 06:44 PM
oujeep1

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Colnago CX1 EVO

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Stand up at least a few pedal strokes every mile. This will go a long way towards preventing numbness, and also decrease risk of erectile dysfunction issues. The issue is much more likely to be your riding position than the saddle, before I went out and spent a bunch of dough on saddles I'd play around with(no pun intended) your position, move the seat down, back, forward, etc. And btw you don't have to be potent to have children. It helps, but not absolutely necessary.
Old 04-24-11, 07:36 PM
Spacemunky
Banned

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito, Bianchi Via Nirone, Bianchi Vigorelli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You need a totally flat saddle. Most saddles have that slightly padded raised front that likes to push your junk into just the wrong spot and at the same time just crush your prostate. I got one of these....then I got 3 of them because I cant ride on anything else. Sex life actually improved after buying them, no joke
Old 04-24-11, 07:49 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by CHAS
lower your saddle
get a saddle with a big cutout
Selle SMP or similar
^^ This.

Patent 7,699,391

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 04-24-11, 09:22 PM
roadrider63

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That selle smp may be a nice saddle, but the front end looks like it is suffering from some ED problems.

OP, I think the saddle and the fit/position will do the most to ease your problem. I like saddles with a cut out. I ride a 143mm wide Specialized Avatar. It was in my price range at the time and the width they measured me for. When I got my new Scott bike I tried their saddle for a while. With no cut out i seemed to have more issues in that area, but it also has me thinking that maybe I'd be better on a narrower saddle. Sure wish more lbs's offered try before you buy options with saddles.
Old 04-24-11, 10:30 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had similar problems witt numbness but after I bought my SMP saddle, no more numbness. As for the droopy nose on the saddle, it makes it easier for me to stand on climbs. It looks funny but works well.
Old 04-24-11, 10:38 PM
chadteck

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They should just cut the nose off that SMP saddle. What purpose does it serve besides making the saddle look ridiculous?
Old 04-24-11, 11:09 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chadteck
They should just cut the nose off that SMP saddle. What purpose does it serve besides making the saddle look ridiculous?
It does server a purpose. If you spend a lot of time in the drops, the nose does reduce pressure on certain areas. When I use to stand and peddle with my old saddle, the nose of the saddle would catch my shorts. This does not happen with turned down nose of the SMP saddle.
Old 04-25-11, 12:24 AM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
You should not experience any numbness of your junk, period. My typical ride is about 65miles, and I only get fatigued. No pain nor numbness anywhere post-ride.

Get yourself into a saddle-trial program at your local bike store.
Old 04-25-11, 12:38 AM
BayAreaUser

Bikes: Caad 9.5, Madone 6 series, Speed Concept 7 series.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidP730
Possibly Impotency Issue. Im a healthy 19 year old ultra cyclist with a new problem. ...
I've tried the saddle that came on a 4.5 madone (it may be the same as yours) and it caused the opposite of your problem, but still- something undesirable while riding. The numbness got better after tilting the nose down. Try that! Don't be afraid to stop and make adjustments as necessary.

Last edited by BayAreaUser; 04-25-11 at 01:42 AM.
Old 04-25-11, 12:43 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
nothing should go numb. some adjustments or changing saddle needs to be done.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 04-25-11, 01:00 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Kids seriously limit your cycling time.
Old 04-25-11, 05:05 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by chadteck
+1
Old 04-25-11, 06:06 AM
the_don

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Santaria
I'd switch it in a heartbeat if Brooks made a white leather seat.
They do/did.

There is a limited edition Stussy white Brooks Swallow with Titanium.

Not cheap at $400 though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.