Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Today My Son Wasn'T Fast Enough: Managing Expectations

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-11, 10:49 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts

A Little background.

My son will be 5 in a few months. He has been learning in-line skating for the last 6 months. He coach is a member of the National Team.

My son had his first 2 races today. It was his first time on an actual banked oval (causing one fall) and his first race of any kind. He finished 4th and 5th in his two races.

Now I've played a few sports and had some success. I'm certainly no superstar and figured that out years ago but that doesn't mean that, as a father, I don't think my son will be if he has the right training and opportunities.

It is also VERY important to note that the last things I said to him before his races were "Never give up even if you are last" and " what ever happens just have fun - if it stops being fun we'll go for ice-cream."

He did have fun and even when he fell we all had a laugh and he laughed too and got up and continued even though he was well out of it by then. All in all the day was fun for him and his coach said he did very well considering that the kids he was racing against had more experience than him.

None of this is a problem.

The problem is me. My son wanted to win and I wanted him to as well. It was clear early in the first race that he just didn't have the aggressiveness that I saw in other kids in his race. It's not that he isn't competitive by nature but I didn't see that instinct today.

Now, I also think that there were so many new things and so many distractions today that he was just having fun and the other kids were simply better than him and that his competitive nature will emerge once he's had more experience but, as a parent, that is all pretty new to me.

I guess my point or question is related to how people who still compete deal with their children who begin to compete and how you manage your children's successes and...their lack of success.

I'm not even sure if I'm articulating this well enough but I'd be interested to hear what others in my position have to say.

Old 10-23-11, 10:59 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Your son is five, sorry four. Lower YOUR expectations and the rest will come if he has the skill and ability to make it happen. You have plenty of time, don't worry.
Old 10-23-11, 11:10 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
snip
it's obvious that you need to read this

don't worry, unlike the States where calling your child "garbage" will land you in the office of Child Protection services, your harsh words will be viewed as exemplary parenting in Taiwan
Old 10-23-11, 11:12 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Bob, personally I am hyper-competitive but I think it's largely irrelevant at that age. They'll train because they like it, they like the achievements and because we want them to. The compelling will to win comes later.
Old 10-23-11, 11:23 AM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I coached soccer from U-little through high school varsity, and refereed the same age groups. What I saw and heard......

My experience was this: Kid1 was big, strong, and almost fast. Natural abilities in baseball, basketball, and soccer. Kid 2 was not so big, not so strong, and not so fast. Natural abilities there as well.

But I realized that in reality - I mean a REAL LIVE REVELATION - that my kids would not be pros, and would not get scholarships to play in college. But they loved to play. They LOVED to play.

And who were they playing for? Not me. But they played because they loved the game they played.

That really helped me lay off. That also helped me realize that they had the right to fail, and I had to let that happen out on the field and let the coaches deal with it. NOT ME. The kids had to learn how to respond to another authority, and that for that hour and a half practice session or game, I was delegating part of my parenting to that coach (and by doing so actually parenting better).

Let the kids have the game. If the miraculous happens, rejoice. But more importantly let them learn to love a game that they can take into adulthood, a passion for sport and activity that will keep them healthy for life.

And, take a look at the stats put out by the NCAA on odds of being a scholarship or pro athlete in NCAA sanctioned sports. REEEEAL small odds at best. But you'd be amazed how many D1 level players I coached in high school, if you asked their dads (ended up with exactly 0). In fact, one player's dad is still convinced I derailed his college career (my ex-professional assistant coach actually had issues with my playing the kid as much as I did!).

Let the kid PLAY. Never fail to tell him you love him. Never fail to support him. Always let HIM process the game. Stand by his coach's decisions. Did I say let him have fun and make sure he knows you love him?

More valuable than ANY world championship.
Old 10-23-11, 11:26 AM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
it's obvious that you need to read this

don't worry, unlike the States where calling your child "garbage" will land you in the office of Child Protection services, your harsh words will be viewed as exemplary parenting in Taiwan
We hosted a boy for three years of high school who was from Taiwan. The Taiwanese have some very interesting concepts of how to parent. How in the world all the kids aren't totally screwed up from that country, I have no idea...

Based on my experiences with Asian kids as a coach, there are some very damaged kids that come from this parenting technique common to Taiwan, China, Korea, etc. My sample is limited to some dozens, but sheesh....
Old 10-23-11, 11:27 AM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tell him to HTFU and enroll him in some crossfit classes

or this https://youtu.be/ZAnounv-I7s

hope you guys speak german
Old 10-23-11, 11:39 AM
AdelaaR

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
David, that is really nicely said there.
Bob, you already realise that your expectations aren't good for you nor you kid.
I advise you to practice the way of the Taoist, hereby freely transcribed by me as:
"Never expect anything but take everything as it comes and react instinctively on it as long as it feels good inside"
Old 10-23-11, 11:52 AM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
8 year old just did his first two cyclocross races. In the first one he was the only one signed up for the kids race which would have been half a lap. Not wanting to race alone he jumped into the 11-14 year old group which was a full 30 minutes on the course. So he went against some pretty big kids on cross and mountain bikes on his little BMX. He rocked the course for the full 30 minutes, long past what I thought he would do.. it was awesome, and he came in last. No matter, all he could talk about was doing it again. Let them do what they want to do, just don't let them do nothing.
Old 10-23-11, 12:00 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
adults take the fun out of play.
Old 10-23-11, 12:02 PM
Gluteus
Maximus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe skating is not his strength.
Maybe today wasn't his best day.

Too soon to tell. Don't sweat it.
Old 10-23-11, 12:04 PM
learnmedia
Go, Dog. Go!

Bikes: '09 Fuji Team; '11 PedalForce QS3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RacerOne
8 year old just did his first two cyclocross races. In the first one he was the only one signed up for the kids race which would have been half a lap. Not wanting to race alone he jumped into the 11-14 year old group which was a full 30 minutes on the course. So he went against some pretty big kids on cross and mountain bikes on his little BMX. He rocked the course for the full 30 minutes, long past what I thought he would do.. it was awesome, and he came in last. No matter, all he could talk about was doing it again. Let them do what they want to do, just don't let them do nothing.
Well said. As far as managing expectations, I believe that you should expect only that your children will enjoy whatever the activity and do their best in the moment.

Last edited by learnmedia; 10-23-11 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-23-11, 12:12 PM
KiuBWhy

Bikes: 2007 Trek 1600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Foolicious?
Old 10-23-11, 12:51 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
The problem is me. My son wanted to win and I wanted him to as well. It was clear early in the first race that he just didn't have the aggressiveness that I saw in other kids in his race. It's not that he isn't competitive by nature but I didn't see that instinct today.

...I guess my point or question is related to how people who still compete deal with their children who begin to compete and how you manage your children's successes and...their lack of success.
I'm not in your position, but if you want him to stay out there year after year, it's better if winning isn't a major part of the motivation.

Success is about achieving something worthwhile, and winning or losing has nothing to do with that. Unless you are an elite athlete, there is always an entire group of people who can totally hand your ass to you. So if you do win, it's only because you participate in activities that make you look competitive. Likewise, there are plenty of athletes in every sport who never win, yet who somehow manage to earn the respect of those who show better results.

My personal opinion is people who put too much emphasis on winning have trouble dealing with getting their butts kicked -- which is what a lot of real life involves. Much better to just do what you do and not worry so much about external validation.
Old 10-23-11, 01:11 PM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yup you can kiss that in-line skating college scholarship good bye! No olympics, no endorsements, no wimminz
Old 10-23-11, 01:25 PM
back4more

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Supersix 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My son is a grown young man now and I found it to be frustrating throughout his growing to motivate him without crushing him - there seems to be a fine line between the two. I coached and participated in everything they needed me for. My son was a reasonable athlete but did not have the same work ethic I had. An example being when he did not make the golf team his freshman year - I would have been out hitting balls untill my hands bled until the next year so i could be at my best to make a new run at it. He was more emotionally crushed that he did not make the team.

I guess what I am saying the hope and the trick has to be to know - to really know your child and be able to adjust your parenting and motivational style to match what they need. My hope is that I can be insightful enough to see what my son needs not what I want him to be and then provide that. My goal as a parent was to provide opportunities and then suppost in order that he could untimately choose and be successful.

As a side note since College he has completely become a focused, dedicated athlete that is a top competitor and it really didn't seem to take my motivation but rather an intrensic thing that he decided on his own when he was ready.
Old 10-23-11, 01:32 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by back4more
My son is a grown young man now and I found it to be frustrating throughout his growing to motivate him without crushing him - there seems to be a fine line between the two. I coached and participated in everything they needed me for. My son was a reasonable athlete but did not have the same work ethic I had. An example being when he did not make the golf team his freshman year - I would have been out hitting balls untill my hands bled until the next year so i could be at my best to make a new run at it. He was more emotionally crushed that he did not make the team.

I guess what I am saying the hope and the trick has to be to know - to really know your child and be able to adjust your parenting and motivational style to match what they need. My hope is that I can be insightful enough to see what my son needs not what I want him to be and then provide that. My goal as a parent was to provide opportunities and then suppost in order that he could untimately choose and be successful.

As a side note since College he has completely become a focused, dedicated athlete that is a top competitor and it really didn't seem to take my motivation but rather an intrensic thing that he decided on his own when he was ready.
Exactly right. It comes to each in different ways and you can't instill it. It's the old "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink" thing.

My kids are top competitors in alpine ski racing. They ski because they love it and competing on the team thing is part of that love. That all comes to them on their own, you can only support it when it arrives.

J.
Old 10-23-11, 01:33 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
He is just a little kid. Let it be play and don't compare him to others. It's too beautiful a time to put our expectations on them.
Old 10-23-11, 02:23 PM
chadteck

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My only concern here is that he is competing in an inline-skate race, rather than a bicycle race. Get him a little BMX bike and let him ride it for fun for a few years, then worry about racing if he enjoys riding and is good at it.
Old 10-23-11, 02:35 PM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
I used to kick my son in the nuts when he lost races. I felt bad because he ended up getting cancer in that area, but he ended up winning 7 TDFs nevertheless.
Old 10-23-11, 02:45 PM
ntjp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Little background.

My son will be 5 in a few months. He has been learning in-line skating for the last 6 months. He coach is a member of the National Team.

My son had his first 2 races today. It was his first time on an actual banked oval (causing one fall) and his first race of any kind. He finished 4th and 5th in his two races.

Now I've played a few sports and had some success. I'm certainly no superstar and figured that out years ago but that doesn't mean that, as a father, I don't think my son will be if he has the right training and opportunities.

It is also VERY important to note that the last things I said to him before his races were "Never give up even if you are last" and " what ever happens just have fun - if it stops being fun we'll go for ice-cream."

He did have fun and even when he fell we all had a laugh and he laughed too and got up and continued even though he was well out of it by then. All in all the day was fun for him and his coach said he did very well considering that the kids he was racing against had more experience than him.

None of this is a problem.

Now, I also think that there were so many new things and so many distractions today that he was just having fun and the other kids were simply better than him and that his competitive nature will emerge once he's had more experience but, as a parent, that is all pretty new to me.

I guess my point or question is related to how people who still compete deal with their children who begin to compete and how you manage your children's successes and...their lack of success.

I'm not even sure if I'm articulating this well enough but I'd be interested to hear what others in my position have to say.
I also have a son (and a daughter). He's older than yours (10), and he's tried a few sports but never gotten into any seriously yet. I never have given it a thought. When he isn't aggressive enough (he wasn't at football), I just thought he's not interested in that - mustn't be his thing. He's a bright lad and I think he will do well, but I'm very content to let him find his own way.

Don't be one of these sport obsessed Dad's who push their children (even though they might feel they are not really). You will put him off. I know this - I've seen it happen.
Old 10-23-11, 02:46 PM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
My son just turned 19. What was important to me when he was very young was to always remind him how much work very successful athletes put into their endeavor. I did not push him to be a super athlete, but since competitive athletics was something he liked, he did hear from me thru verbalisation and showing him sport features on athletes that have strong work ethic. He is now playing college football, but truth be told, I could care less, though I support him by attending all his games.

One thing that he knows is that I put much more emphasis on his academic achievements than his football exploits. And, for starters, 4/5years old is too young for you to be worried about him. Always tell him to do the very best he can and every other piece is gonna fall in line.
Old 10-23-11, 04:02 PM
MrTuner1970
Underwhelming

Bikes: Lynskey R330 Ti, Dean El Vado Ti, Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He's just four, dude. Let him grow up.
Old 10-23-11, 04:08 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
The little dopper is only 4... it is his job to be having fun.
Old 10-23-11, 04:21 PM
rooftest
Despite all my rage, I am

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A four year old competitive fruit-booter?

I agree with some of the above commenters - you don't need to worry about it when he's this young. You'll have plenty of time to assault his coaches/refs when he's a teenager.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.