Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-15, 11:07 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by fabiotux
Thank you very much for the warm welcome!
I'm just feeling home!
You definitely belong here. You are one of us.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-16-15, 11:40 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
I have 5 bikes, named with Tolkienians Names:

A Folding Bike 16" wheels named "Belladona Tuk"", mother of Bilbo Baggins;
A MTB 29er named "Yavanna Kementari", a Vala, Queen of earth;
A Road Bike named "Varda", a Vala, Queen of Arda;
A Touring Bike named "Galadriel", Noldor, Ring Bearer of Nenya, Ring of Water;
A Commuter Bike named "Lúthien Tinúviel", Half-Elf, daughter of Thingol, protagonist of the most beautiful love stories on Silmarillion's book.
Wow, that's a VERY Tolkeinian set of names! I had to look up Vala, I'm not all that familiar with Silmarillion, I don't think I ever read all of it.
Old 04-16-15, 11:50 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
The one you posted is a knock off as well. I am a fan of the style, not the fact that it is a knock off though.
I know that The cheap knockoff is something like VERTU CCAV
Old 04-16-15, 11:54 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Don't buy that one. I did. First, it ripped my trousers, then it broke.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-16-15, 12:04 PM
cosmonhat

Bikes: 67 Raleigh Sports, 82 Centurion Lemans RS, 2000(?) Spectrum Ti, 2008 Surly LHT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These 2 are a bit overbuilt for my relatively short commute (1mi bike, train, 4mi bike), but maybe I'll forget to stop at work one day and just keep riding! The Centurion is my very first road bike and has gone through 3 iterations: 1) 3-speed SA hub to original 27" rims, 2) flat bar single-speed to 700c rims, 3) 650b conversion. I alternate between the LHT and Centurion somewhat at random.

Old 04-16-15, 12:05 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Yep, that's what my research suggested also. I've got one in the closet, but just to see what it looked and felt like ($11).

Soft plastic, not going to last long and where the rails are mounted into the plastic is a particular weak point. You need high density or even carbon fiber like the actual Tioga brand saddle.
Old 04-16-15, 12:07 PM
fabiotux

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Wow, that's a VERY Tolkeinian set of names! I had to look up Vala, I'm not all that familiar with Silmarillion, I don't think I ever read all of it.
Sorry about the off-topic.
If you like fantasy literature, I really recommend "The Silmarillion". It's a kind of "Genesis" of Middle-Earth.
In a "short way", check it out an explanation about the "Vala": The Silmarillion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 04-16-15, 12:26 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by cosmonhat
These 2 are a bit overbuilt for my relatively short commute (1mi bike, train, 4mi bike), but maybe I'll forget to stop at work one day and just keep riding! The Centurion is my very first road bike and has gone through 3 iterations: 1) 3-speed SA hub to original 27" rims, 2) flat bar single-speed to 700c rims, 3) 650b conversion. I alternate between the LHT and Centurion somewhat at random.
Wow, those are both lovely. Do you always keep them that clean, or did they get spruced up for pictures?

What are those leather seats? Not Brooks, but they look very nice. On the LHT it kinda looks like a Selle Anatomica without the cutout, but did you lace it yourself?

Also, what's going on with your bar tape? I kind of see some interesting bicolor design going on, it looks cool.
Old 04-16-15, 12:39 PM
cosmonhat

Bikes: 67 Raleigh Sports, 82 Centurion Lemans RS, 2000(?) Spectrum Ti, 2008 Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, those are both lovely. Do you always keep them that clean, or did they get spruced up for pictures?

What are those leather seats? Not Brooks, but they look very nice. On the LHT it kinda looks like a Selle Anatomica without the cutout, but did you lace it yourself?

Also, what's going on with your bar tape? I kind of see some interesting bicolor design going on, it looks cool.
Thanks RubeRad. These pics were taken soon after they were built up. Their current state is a bit more dusty, although the fenders do a good job of keeping them clean.

The LHT saddle is a Selle Anatomica with the cutout, which is hard to see in the pics. The side flared out too much and started to irritate my thighs, so I punched some holes and laced them up. The Centurion has a Gilles Berhoud saddle, which I got used and is very comfy.

As for the bar tape, I got the inspirations from here: Harlequin Pattern Handlebar Wrap. The LHT tape was clear shellacked and retained the original colors. The brown shellack I used on the Centurion turned the tapes from red/yellow to the colors you see now. Only 3 thin applications were needed.

The other nice features I'd like to point out are the cranks. Those are the vintage Deore Dyna Drive cranks with some TA/VO rings. I really dig those cranks and pedals!
Old 04-16-15, 01:09 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

The LHT saddle is a Selle Anatomica with the cutout, which is hard to see in the pics. The side flared out too much and started to irritate my thighs, so I punched some holes and laced them up.
I get that too...
Old 04-16-15, 01:24 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts

Sweet builds.
Old 04-16-15, 02:11 PM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
My commuter Specialized Hardrock 90s vintage so I'm told.

Old 04-16-15, 02:22 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Originally Posted by noglider
I think I once read that even the Tioga is recommended to be replaced every year or so...
Old 04-16-15, 02:40 PM
AlTheKiller

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
love the surly and centurion. what size/model tires on the centurion?

If I ever do the few mods I want to my KHS, to make it more rough road light touring and less balloon bike city stomper, I'll probably ditch the balloon tire CST 2.35s for some of those brown Big Apples in 2.15. Probably a better fit on my rims anyways.
Old 04-16-15, 02:51 PM
fabiotux

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Hi there!
Wow...they're just fantastic!
Congratz!

I'm very fan of Campy's Ergopower!

Old 04-16-15, 03:19 PM
cosmonhat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlTheKiller
love the surly and centurion. what size/model tires on the centurion?

If I ever do the few mods I want to my KHS, to make it more rough road light touring and less balloon bike city stomper, I'll probably ditch the balloon tire CST 2.35s for some of those brown Big Apples in 2.15. Probably a better fit on my rims anyways.
Thanks. The tires are standard Compass Loup Loup Pass (Compass Bicycles: 650B Tires). They've been great and my favorite thus far. I also like the Big Apples on the LHT. They are fairly smooth on good roads, but really excel on the rougher stuff. I had no problems going on dirt and gravel with them.
Old 04-16-15, 03:27 PM
cosmonhat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there!
Wow...they're just fantastic!
Congratz!

I'm very fan of Campy's Ergopower!
Thanks. I'm a big fan of the Campy Ergos as well. If you look closely, you may notice that I'm using 8 speed cassettes with Shimano derailleurs. The shifting is spot on...except you only use 8 of 10 shifts. I prefer using 8 speed drivetrains, as the parts are much cheaper, and I have amassed quite a few older cranks/derailleurs. On the LHT, the quickshift isn't the best for the front derailleur due to the "indexing" limitations.
Old 04-16-15, 03:51 PM
katsrevenge
covered in cat fur

Bikes: Papillionaire Sommer, '85 Schwinn World Tourist, 2014 Windsor Kensington 8, SixThreeZero SS Cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Current steed. Short commute all I need are lights and my coffee. mmm, coffee!
Old 04-17-15, 04:42 AM
fabiotux

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Interesting this thing about the 8 speed cassettes with 10 speed shifters.
I own a Road Bike with Xenon 9v (shifter & derailleurs) and an Ultegra 9v cassette. Works like a clock!
There is a kind of "trick" to make it work perfectly, because the spacers between the sprockets are quite similar in width, so you can use it with no big issues if you apply correctly this "trick".

And definitely, I agree with you: 8 (and 9) speeds are much cheaper than 10 and 11 speeds, specially here in Brazil.
Another issue here is the lack of good bikeshops that sells Campagnolo equipament.

; )

Thanks. I'm a big fan of the Campy Ergos as well. If you look closely, you may notice that I'm using 8 speed cassettes with Shimano derailleurs. The shifting is spot on...except you only use 8 of 10 shifts. I prefer using 8 speed drivetrains, as the parts are much cheaper, and I have amassed quite a few older cranks/derailleurs. On the LHT, the quickshift isn't the best for the front derailleur due to the "indexing" limitations.
Old 04-17-15, 06:32 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Ahhh, my heart is fluttering! My first 'real' road bike was a Centurion of the same early 80's vintage (I have pictures, which is a little embarrassing!). I loved that bike but traded it in when STI showed up. I HAD to have STI shifting and it never occurred to me (then) to upgrade. Ah well, live and learn! Beautiful bikes
Old 04-17-15, 08:25 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by katsrevenge

Very nice! That bike looks like it needs a coffee-cup holder...

Are the orange and yellow meant to flap in the wind as visibility indicators? And what's that little purple thing between the top- and down-tubes?
Old 04-17-15, 10:38 AM
cosmonhat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arsprod
Ahhh, my heart is fluttering! My first 'real' road bike was a Centurion of the same early 80's vintage (I have pictures, which is a little embarrassing!). I loved that bike but traded it in when STI showed up. I HAD to have STI shifting and it never occurred to me (then) to upgrade. Ah well, live and learn! Beautiful bikes
I'm a bit of a tinkerer and the Centurion has been the perfect guinea pig for my experiments in cycling. The current form is its 3rd iteration since it came into my stable. I've stop short of making changes to the frame aside from spreading the rear dropouts, though I've entertained thoughts of adding another set of water bosses. I see Centurions on CL quite often, so your chances of rekindling that lost love look good.
Old 04-17-15, 10:41 AM
cosmonhat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by katsrevenge

I really like the saddle and cream tires.
Old 04-17-15, 12:31 PM
katsrevenge
covered in cat fur

Bikes: Papillionaire Sommer, '85 Schwinn World Tourist, 2014 Windsor Kensington 8, SixThreeZero SS Cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice! That bike looks like it needs a coffee-cup holder...

Are the orange and yellow meant to flap in the wind as visibility indicators? And what's that little purple thing between the top- and down-tubes?
It is a nice cruising bike, LOL. Coffee fits right in. The orange thing is a hunter's hi-vis bandana. It is supposed to be very visible. The yellow thing in a minion from a cereal box..and the purple thingy is a bunch of little rubber bands all looped together. They both serve no purpose other than to give color to an otherwise dark bike.

I really like the saddle and cream tires.
Thanks! That's my Brooks splurge. I like the cream tires too, even if they show so much dirt.
Old 04-17-15, 04:07 PM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I'm a bit of a tinkerer and the Centurion has been the perfect guinea pig for my experiments in cycling. The current form is its 3rd iteration since it came into my stable. I've stop short of making changes to the frame aside from spreading the rear dropouts, though I've entertained thoughts of adding another set of water bosses. I see Centurions on CL quite often, so your chances of rekindling that lost love look good.
Oh geez, don't tempt me! I'm already hiding bikes so I don't get yelled at

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.