Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

SF Bay Area Edco Headset Install

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-23, 05:40 PM
ltokuno

Bikes: Masi, Olmo, Miele, Masi, Masi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts

Hello everyone!

I have a San Francisco Bay Area specific question.

I recently got an Edco Competition headset new in the box. It’s Italian threaded and sized and should work fine with a Masi 3V frame I have. I made the measurements (should have done this before buying) on the headset and frame and it checks out and should fit fine.

The question is, who should I go to to have it installed? Normally I would just buy the tool and do it myself, but a good headset press is a bit pricey for something I’m not likely to use again. Plus I don’t want to run the risk of messing up the headset or frame. Both would take some time / money to replace. The headset is aluminum with steel races and it’s probably easy to bung it up on install.

Any ideas on who you’d trust in the SF Bay Area?
Old 02-06-23, 06:00 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Take it to Waterside Workshops in Berkeley and use their open shop to do it yourself. They have all the tools you need, and they have roving staff who help you out. It's a fantastic resource. Just be sure to sign in and then donate money or bikes/parts when you can.
Old 02-06-23, 06:33 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
Take it to Waterside Workshops in Berkeley and use their open shop to do it yourself.
I was in the Marina district a few years ago and had a bottom bracket catastrophe.
Another cyclist told me there was a co-op down the street. It was somewhere near the Safeway.
I never made it to the place again to repay the kindness I was shown, would you have any idea what co-op it was? I feel a touch guilty...
Old 02-06-23, 07:21 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Originally Posted by Schweinhund
I was in the Marina district a few years ago and had a bottom bracket catastrophe.
Another cyclist told me there was a co-op down the street. It was somewhere near the Safeway.
I never made it to the place again to repay the kindness I was shown, would you have any idea what co-op it was? I feel a touch guilty...
I'm afraid I have no idea -- it's been years since I lived in SF proper, and the only open shops I know (knew) of are in the Mission district, like the Bike Kitchen and Box Dog Bikes. There are other ways to pass along good karma, no worries, I'm sure.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 02-06-23, 08:58 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 3,480 Times in 1,133 Posts
American Cyclery in San Francisco speaks fluent Vintage Bike.
Brent

Likes For obrentharris:
Old 02-07-23, 01:06 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
don't know of any co-op in the Marina near the Marina Safeway...but not a neighborhood I'd expect to find a co-op in. I wouldn't be surprised to find that it dried up and blew away in the Pandemic years.
So many businesses have done.
I'd second the idea of DIY (since you know how fragile this frame and HS are) using the tools at Waterside...I have not availed myself of that shop but let's assume they have a HS press on hand.
Measure 3 times and make sure the cups/races are all correct for the head tube and crown, apply grease and go forth!
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 02-07-23, 11:10 AM
ltokuno

Bikes: Masi, Olmo, Miele, Masi, Masi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
American Cyclery in San Francisco speaks fluent Vintage Bike.
Brent
Perfect! Thank you Brent.
Old 02-07-23, 12:39 PM
noobinsf 

Originally Posted by ltokuno
Perfect! Thank you Brent.
Stone's Cyclery in Alameda is another vintage-friendly shop with good service.
Likes For noobinsf: