Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need a comfortable step through for grocery / around town riding

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Need a comfortable step through for grocery / around town riding

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-23, 07:06 PM
JDFLood

Bikes: Independent Fabrication's Independent, IF Club Racer, IF Crown Jewel, Waterford Custom, Lemond, Trek 520.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you guys. I appreciate the input. Some interesting bikes. Hopefully I can stay on two wheels for another decade.

One thing that really surprises me is that when I go looking for a good around town with an integrated lock, I come out short. My Specialized Global, has a keyed lock integral to the frame. A circular metal bar comes out and locks the back wheel. I remove the key and it is locked. This is why I love this bike. I have gone shopping with it for about 15 years. I just wish it was step through and overall lighter. Hmmm, I just checked my original post… I am repeating myself… heck, I am now 71… I can do that, although a cliché. With the hundreds of thousands of bikes in Belgium and around that area used for transportation and the high level of bikes stolen, you would think several major companies would integrate security and performance into an every day bike that everyone could use… even us old codgers.
Old 09-03-23, 07:09 PM
JDFLood

Bikes: Independent Fabrication's Independent, IF Club Racer, IF Crown Jewel, Waterford Custom, Lemond, Trek 520.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hodala,

Amazing bikes. There is a lot of intellectual property in your bikes!
Old 09-04-23, 10:39 AM
Het Volk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638
I've built two Soma Buena Vista mixte's, one totally tricked out with dyno lights, folding baskets and front rack. After it was stolen, I bought a Burley Travoy trailer for shopping, when I replaced the stolen bike, I built it a lot leaner. The frame works either way but I like the cafe racer build better.

^^^^^

Soma Buena Vista’s are to me, the classiest looking of the mixte style frames. I highly recommend them.
Old 09-04-23, 06:17 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by Het Volk
^^^^^

Soma Buena Vista’s are to me, the classiest looking of the mixte style frames. I highly recommend them.
They also make a bangin' road bike.
IMG_1390 by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 09-04-23, 09:16 PM
Het Volk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
They also make a bangin' road bike.
IMG_1390 by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr
I have a new frame in the basement, and two NOS Campagnolo Potenza gruppos waiting to be put to use. I think I have found the answer.
Old 09-05-23, 10:21 AM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by JDFLood
I have been a bike enthusiast for over sixty years… I’m now 70. I have 4 custom road bikes… touring oriented… and a couple more… I still ride around 3,000 miles a year. I am seventy years old and my neck is not as flexible as it used to be. I ride a Specialized Global to the store two or three times a week. 5 - 10 miles. It has an integrated lock and lights. But when my pannier baskets are full, it is increasingly hard to throw my leg over the bike. It is also not upright enough and not a step through. I want a high quality step through bike that I can equip with baskets… high performance and wide range gearing. I am used to top of the line derailures. I do not want an electric bike. I’d like to wait another ten years for that. I’m thinking $3K - $4K

I only find really inexpensive stuff or e-bikes.
You might want to consider a bespoke folding bike....like a Bike Friday.
Fly down to Eugene, Oregon. Get measured. Have the bike built to spec.
They have a number of models that will be a bit higher than the lowest step through...but be much easier than a standard bike.

https://bikefriday.com/product/bike-...-folding-bike/

Another possibility is to get a bike trailer.
Linberl on the folding forum uses a Burley Travoy.
I think she rides a PakiT.
https://bikefriday.com/product/bike-...-folding-bike/
Likes For mlau:
Old 09-10-23, 06:44 PM
JDFLood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for all your responses. Poiuyt, I really like the look of that one.

I admit I had not thought of Bike Friday… although I am a bit put off on the looks. A very valid idea.

I will be looking deeper into your suggestions.