Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Has anyone fixed foot numbness by switching pedals?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Has anyone fixed foot numbness by switching pedals?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-24, 09:16 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
When I first moved to clipless pedals, I had lots of foot issue, finally found it was low end shoes, I had to bite the bullet and spend some money on stiff shoes and that fixed my issues. I initially found some used Sidi's on Ebay and they were great, and super stiff, barely used, but I saved a lot of money on them. Had them for 7 or 8 years and they looked barely used when I sold them. Since then, anytime I've gotten shoes, I don't go low end.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-24-24, 09:12 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1964 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
With all respect, how could you possibly know if the OP has high or low arches? This could certainly be the problem, but it could also be the problem I have seen many times from a lack of support. So how do you know it is one and not the other?

It is not hard to tell what kind of arches you have.
Sure, could be either possibility. Once he knows both possibilities, it's very easy for him to experiment both ways to find out which solution works. Insoles don't cost much.
Old 02-24-24, 09:24 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
You might. But you also might not.
This ^.
Often just changing anything will eliminate or reduce the condition (of course it could also make it worse, but that happens less often). Numbness or hotfoot on the larger toe area is usually caused by an ill fitting shoe and/or cleat placement, and it usuallly occurs because one curls toes down with the pedal stroke, it may also be that the shoe binds in the area, and/or the sole is not stiff enough. In a pinch (pun intended), take the shoe off and massage the area lightly, (check to make sure the sock isn't an issue) and put the shoe back on without over ratcheting whatever retaining mechanism you've got.
Old 02-24-24, 10:14 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Sure, could be either possibility. Once he knows both possibilities, it's very easy for him to experiment both ways to find out which solution works. Insoles don't cost much.
Then why did you state your "diagnosis" as if it was 100% correct and insoles would be doing more damage by increasing arch support?
Old 02-24-24, 11:14 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
I posted a similar problem to the forum last year. Received many good suggestions.
Insoles helped slightly, but the best solution involved going to larger shoes. From 42.5 to 43, without insoles.
My shoes always (thirty years!) have plenty of stiffness, so it's never the platform or pedal type, in my opinion.
Old 02-24-24, 11:51 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Stop with the personal attacks.

Old 02-24-24, 12:36 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by cb400bill
There are no real consequences to even the most insulting attacks, so they are unlikely to go away on their own.
Old 02-24-24, 01:37 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
There are no real consequences to even the most insulting attacks, so they are unlikely to go away on their own.
It would help if you would stop participating in it.

Old 02-24-24, 03:20 PM
Kontact 

It would help if you would stop participating in it.
How is disagreeing about a pedal system or steering geometry make me "participating" in being called an SOB and denigrating my marriage?
Old 02-24-24, 09:44 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 587 Times in 411 Posts
I agree with Kontact's responce to the issue and understand the request to tone it down.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 02-25-24, 07:51 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Guys who ride Colnagos are below average in looks and intelligence...
Old 02-25-24, 08:14 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
How do you know? We issue infractions in private. Others may disregard our warnings and infractions as much as you do.

But I tell you guys one thing, once you earn the status of ‘High Maintenance’ you can kiss this forum goodbye. So you may want to reevaluate the importance of being right or being smarter than everybody else.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 02-25-24, 11:24 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
RMOT - notable foot / nerve issues :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rik_Smits

Smits developed nerve damage in his feet from wearing tight shoes as a teenager ‘

‘ Foot problems hobbled Smits for the majority of his career ‘

‘ After four surgeries to repair nerve damage to his feet ‘

Last edited by t2p; 02-25-24 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-25-24, 11:35 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by BillyD
How do you know? We issue infractions in private. Others may disregard our warnings and infractions as much as you do.

But I tell you guys one thing, once you earn the status of ‘High Maintenance’ you can kiss this forum goodbye. So you may want to reevaluate the importance of being right or being smarter than everybody else.
Okay, I'll stop reporting this stuff.
Old 02-25-24, 01:22 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Okay, I'll stop reporting this stuff.
You missed what “high maintenance” is. That’s when the moderator staff has to spend an extraordinary amount of time dealing with a member. That’s usually due to posting that continuously violates forum rules and causes our involvement either from reports we receive from other members or posts we notice ourselves. Frequent arguing without being honest discussions is just one example of high maintenance.

So don’t stop reporting violations. We encourage that. But being the subject of violations is a different matter..
Likes For StanSeven:
Old 02-25-24, 01:38 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by StanSeven
You missed what “high maintenance” is. That’s when the moderator staff has to spend an extraordinary amount of time dealing with a member. That’s usually due to posting that continuously violates forum rules and causes our involvement either from reports we receive from other members or posts we notice ourselves. Frequent arguing without being honest discussions is just one example of high maintenance.

So don’t stop reporting violations. We encourage that. But being the subject of violations is a different matter..
I don't continously violate forum rules, nor am I dishonest in discussions. You recently gave me a three week ban for "trolling" because I told someone that was trolling me that I wasn't going to engage with them.

While I can understand why you don't like the kind of people that are lightning rods for negative attention because they are either contrarian or try to hold people to a standard, I don't lie and I don't get personal. The Road forum, in particular, seems to be a hotbed of people reacting to topics they don't like by taking personal swipes at them or trolling them. I posted a thread about my opinion of endurance bikes that was just full of that sort of behavior, to the point that a moderator edited out a ton of those attacks, but none of my posts. But apparently that is my fault, because I wrote my opinion about bikes. I've shared that with staff before, no reply.

Reporting insults just keeps me on your radar as a "problem". So I won't.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 02-25-24, 06:14 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Blah blah blah. I don’t expect this thread can be of any further benefit. Closed.
Likes For BillyD: