Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Eroica Japan, who is going?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-23, 07:59 PM
tmnguuyen 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 171 Posts

Got my plane ticket. Looks like the web site is recently updated but the routes, and registration are not even available yet. This will be a PITA to plan.

Anybody with Eroica Japan please chime in.
Thanks
Old 03-08-23, 09:19 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,389 Times in 3,674 Posts
Originally Posted by tmnguuyen
Got my plane ticket. Looks like the web site is recently updated but the routes, and registration are not even available yet. This will be a PITA to plan.

Anybody with Eroica Japan please chime in.
Thanks
I wish
Likes For merziac:
Old 05-19-23, 11:06 PM
tmnguuyen 

Amaji tunnel
https://www.guidoor.jp/en/places/1832

Fish bone soup - new meaning to bone stock - much appreciated however in soaking wet and cold body.

small turnout but a memorable event. Soaking wet, funky food and tough climds

Cool two loops spiral bridge

Last edited by tmnguuyen; 05-21-23 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-20-23, 07:46 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 526 Posts
I was at CorsaCorsa while a guy was there having a bike checked out for this but I had to return to Cambodia before this happened.

Old 05-20-23, 08:14 AM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 261 Posts
If funds and logistics work out I would really love to attend next year if there is a repeat. There wasn't enough lead time to even think about it this year, but I have a standing invitation to return to Kyoto and this would be icing on the cake.
Old 05-20-23, 02:00 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts
I rode the Shiminami Kaido and to Shikoku a few years ago. You cross seven bridges. Your photo of the circular roadway reminded me of the approach to the final, and longest, bridge.

The view of the bridge approaches

From the bridge looking back

On the bridge; half closed off for cyclists. The second longest suspension bridge in the world.
Likes For Mountain Mitch:
Old 05-20-23, 07:18 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
I wish
Old 05-20-23, 08:55 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,412 Posts
Didn't even know they had one. WOW.

I lived in Japan when I was a kid so I have a special affinity for the place.

I can just imagine, me and the Le Grande (next to me on the plane), traveling to Eroica Japan and other Eroicas all over the world, on some extravagant world journey. Bucket list stuff right there.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-21-23, 01:29 AM
stoneageyosh

Bikes: Dave Tesch Model 100 Custom Reynolds 753 / Custom Panasonic built by Takao Ono (1973)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO

I lived in Japan when I was a kid so I have a special affinity for the place.

I can just imagine, me and the Le Grande (next to me on the plane),

You have now explained your delusional rationale behind the Le Grande (Huffnagorosagnolo) project by stating that you would abscond to a far eastern (hmm, actually way west) destination with your Stockholm syndrome mechanical affectation. To each his own. No judgement implied.

However, I can understand your desire to do so as I also spent time in the fifties as a kid in Sakai which is next to Osaka. First learned about headset and bottom bracket parts from the son of the owners of a machine shop across the narrow, about fifteen feet wide, street from where we lived. There was a family stamping parts for Maeda around the corner a block away. Machine shop is long gone but the mom and pop were still stamping freewheel cogs around 2010.
Likes For stoneageyosh:
Old 05-22-23, 06:15 PM
tmnguuyen 

Originally Posted by PilotFishBob
If funds and logistics work out I would really love to attend next year if there is a repeat. There wasn't enough lead time to even think about it this year, but I have a standing invitation to return to Kyoto and this would be icing on the cake.
They're already making preparations for next year's event. It will be the 10th anniversary. They were very apologetic for this year's rough going... But, it is ok, restarting after covid and all. Don't think it'll make it back but it is worth a one time experience. It was part of my of the avoid crowds plan due to travel restrictions but everything is back. Everywhere is super crowded, particularly in Japan.

Thanks
Likes For tmnguuyen:
Old 05-22-23, 06:21 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Kanpai !!

Looks like you had a great time, albeit a little soggy one.

BTW, That bicycle looks very familiar .. LOL. See you at the next Rose Bowl RIde Buddy !
Old 05-22-23, 06:29 PM
tmnguuyen 

Originally Posted by Manny66
Kanpai !!

Looks like you had a great time, albeit a little soggy one.

BTW, That bicycle looks very familiar .. LOL. See you at the next Rose Bowl RIde Buddy !
Thanks Manny, i'll tell you all about it when we meet at the Rose Bowl next month. The bike was gifted to one of the helpers of the organization after i completed the ride. He is going to ride it for a while and will send it to Indonesia to a bicycle club (Viroke is the name of the club). I couldn't carry that bike around in my little subcompact car with the wife and daughter and all their 'baggage'.....

Last edited by tmnguuyen; 05-22-23 at 08:18 PM.
Likes For tmnguuyen:
Old 06-01-23, 06:38 PM
tmnguuyen 

I've been following the thread on the upcoming Eroica in Central Coast and it does not look promising. I think Japan has gone through similar challenges but they seem to be more conscientious about their reputation. They've been keeping up with the "branding' on the Eroica page. Below is their latest update with the gallery. CA never updated the gallery for last year's event, not much hope for Eroica CA.

https://eroica.cc/en/japan/2023-photo-gallery

I made it in a few photos, even my bike had a couple appearances with the nice sceneries.