Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cycling champion dies after being struck by driver in the Presidio (SF)

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-23, 09:53 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts

Link to the article in SF Comical

Ethan Boyes, an elite cyclist and USA Cycling champion who set a 2018 record for fastest “flying start,” died Tuesday after he was struck by a car while cycling in the Presidio of San Francisco, according to a family spokesperson and the U.S. Park Police.
Keyte said Boyes was traveling in the bike lane when a car hit him head-on and said he and other friends of Boyes were waiting to learn more details about the crash and the motorist. Keyte said he hopes that his friend’s tragic death brings “awareness around cycling safety.”

On a NextDoor post, Stephanie Wald wrote that she “witnessed a horrific accident” on Arguello Blvd. in the Presidio Tuesday in which a “speeding car heading north careened into the opposite lane and hit a cyclist.”

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 04-06-23 at 09:57 PM.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-07-23, 01:37 AM
BikeLite

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
paywall article...rip cyclist
Old 04-07-23, 08:12 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
No mention of any operator behind the car. Was it another self-driving car?
Old 04-07-23, 02:30 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Sad
Old 04-07-23, 03:50 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends.
Old 04-07-23, 04:24 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
must be

Paramedics also transported the driver of the vehicle for non-life-threatening injuries.
and then, toward the end, we have

​​​​​​​According to Wald, the bicyclist “slammed head first into the (car’s) windshield” and the driver of the car appeared “dazed and bloody.”
Old 04-07-23, 04:28 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
according to eyewitness accounts on ******, the driver was drunk:

I was second on the scene. I pulled the driver out of the car and turned off the engine. Driver was so drunk he asked me if he hit anyone. Awful.
i ride this road several times a week, typically once or twice per ride. sometimes with my kids on the weekend. i would have never thought it particularly dangerous, with good site lines, a relatively low speed differential, good paving, and a bike lane.

so tragic. a ghost bike was placed yesterday. there's a vigil tonight. 7pm on arguello.
Old 04-07-23, 04:36 PM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Couldn't a self-driving car be comparable to a drunk driver at times?
Old 04-07-23, 05:01 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
i ride this road several times a week, typically once or twice per ride. sometimes with my kids on the weekend. i would have never thought it particularly dangerous, with good site lines, a relatively low speed differential, good paving, and a bike lane.
That was my thought as well from scoping it out on Google Maps. Somewhere around here, correct? Arguello Blvd - Google Maps

Of the various hazards on my mind when I'm riding, opposite direction traffic is pretty low when there are no driveways or intersections around. Regards and condolences to all the family and friends.
Old 04-07-23, 05:08 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by retswerb
That was my thought as well from scoping it out on Google Maps. Somewhere around here, correct? Arguello Blvd - Google Maps

Of the various hazards on my mind when I'm riding, opposite direction traffic is pretty low when there are no driveways or intersections around. Regards and condolences to all the family and friends.
yep. just south of the curve as i understand. haven’t ridden past the ghost bike yet.
Old 04-08-23, 08:15 AM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by Gyro
Couldn't a self-driving car be comparable to a drunk driver at times?
It would be good to recall the entire population of drivers from that jurisdiction just as self-driving vehicles get recalled.
Old 04-08-23, 09:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
I'm amazed that so many are stating this was a self driving car just on assumption and omission of any details in the article to tell us.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-08-23, 10:03 AM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by Iride01
I'm amazed that so many are stating this was a self driving car just on assumption and omission of any details in the article to tell us.
it’s stupid and incredibly disrespectful. he was killed by a human male driver, who according to eyewitness reports was intoxicated.
Old 04-08-23, 10:26 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
You must not dip your toe too often into the pool of A&S statements. Imaginative if not biased assumptions, based on little or no detail (or rational thinking) as well delusional stereotyping of the allegedly numerous enemies of allegedly saintly bicycling folks is the de rigeur of many A&S posters.
Old 04-08-23, 01:18 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...it has made the news in some other places with no paywall: https://nypost.com/2023/04/07/us-cyc...san-francisco/
Certainly every cyclist fatality I read about nearby gives me pause. I guess shouting about it does no good. Enjoy life every minute, because this could happen to any of us.
Old 04-08-23, 01:29 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
There have been 34 bike fatalities in the city since 2010 and has seen at least one bike fatality every year since 2014, according to The Chronicle.
...I was surprised by this statistic. I was involved with the ghost bike guys here for a while, and it seemed like Sacramento was getting multiple cyclist fatalities annually in those years.
I can remember one unfortunate year, when two cyclists were killed at the Sac State intersection on H street, in quick succession. Maybe we are improving here ?

Or maybe not.
Old 04-08-23, 01:34 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I was surprised by this statistic. I was involved with the ghost bike guys here for a while, and it seemed like Sacramento was getting multiple cyclist fatalities annually in those years.
I can remember one unfortunate year, when two cyclists were killed at the Sac State intersection on H street, in quick succession. Maybe we are improving here ?

Or maybe not.
obviously, one is too many but the city has made great strides - and generally low vehicular speeds make a huge, huge difference.
Old 04-08-23, 08:53 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
  • Here's the NYT's article: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/08/u...francisco.html (right-click, save, read local copy)
    'The driver of the car, who was not publicly identified, was also transported to the hospital, with injuries that were not life-threatening. It was not immediately clear whether the driver was facing charges.
    'The police said they were working with federal prosecutors "as the investigation progresses."
    The accident shocked the San Francisco cycling community, not just because of the loss of life but also because it happened in an area where bicycle safety activists have repeatedly called for improvements.
    The heavily used cycling route connecting Golden Gate Park and the Presidio, a nearly 1,500-acre park at the foot of the Golden Gate Bridge, has been a safety concern for cyclists for years. https://sf.streetsblog.org/2019/06/0...tect-cyclists/
    The narrow and curvy stretch where Mr. Boyes was killed has painted bike lanes but no buffered space or bollards.
    '"This stretch of Arguello Boulevard has two unprotected, paint-only bike lanes, which allows drivers to drive recklessly at unsafe speeds and may have contributed to Ethan's death," Luke Bornheimer, a sustainable transportation advocate, said in a statement. "There is simple infrastructure that is proven to increase safety for all people -- including drivers -- and make people feel safer riding bikes."
Likes For Arthur Peabody:
Old 04-12-23, 09:28 AM
Daniel4

it’s stupid and incredibly disrespectful. he was killed by a human male driver, who according to eyewitness reports was intoxicated.
It is disrepectful to any victim of a collision for any news article or story not to acknowledge the crash was due to another human being but by simply as identifying it as an accident by an inanimate object.
Old 04-12-23, 09:30 AM
mschwett 

It is disrepectful to any victim of a collision not to acknowledge the crash was due to another human being but by simply as identifying it as an accident by an inanimate object.
yes, agreed. this is part of what’s frustrating about the coverage of these things, e.g. “cyclist struck by car.” may as well say that someone was “punctured by a flying bullet” when they’re shot.
Old 04-12-23, 09:34 AM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
"It was not immediately clear whether the driver was facing charges."

Probably because the victim was NOT in a motor vehicle.

As I have noticed many times before:It seems to me that the only way that a driverwho is responsible for a collision to get charged and convicted is if he's

1) DUI;

2) hit-and-run;

3) drivingwithout a licence or with a suspendedlicence;

4) wanted or alreadyknownby the police; or

5) the victim was in a car.
Old 04-12-23, 10:31 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
It is disrepectful to any victim of a collision for any news article or story not to acknowledge the crash was due to another human being but by simply as identifying it as an accident by an inanimate object.
yes, agreed. this is part of what’s frustrating about the coverage of these things, e.g. “cyclist struck by car.” may as well say that someone was “punctured by a flying bullet” when they’re shot.

It's disrespectful to any victim to use their death as an occasion for nitpicking the wording of headline.

This is a ridiculous objection and it only applies to the headline. You can only put so much information in a headline, and the cyclist was indeed struck by the car, not by the driver. If it was the driver who hit him, he likely would be alive today. The article made it clear that there was an unidentified driver, and nowhere implied in the slightest that the car was driving itself. The phrase "struck by driver" is factually incorrect or at least ambiguous. It could mean that he was hit by a golf club, but it sure sounds like he was hit by a person. If I have to choose between being struck by a car and being struck by a person, I'm going with the person every time.

The bullet comparison is just bizarre--there's lots of situations where people are struck by bullets and it is unknown where the shots even came from. And I believe "shot" in this sense is literally a synonym for "hit by a bullet".
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-12-23, 10:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

"It was not immediately clear whether the driver was facing charges."

Probably because the victim was NOT in a motor vehicle.

As I have noticed many times before:It seems to me that the only way that a driverwho is responsible for a collision to get charged and convicted is if he's

1) DUI;

2) hit-and-run;

3) drivingwithout a licence or with a suspendedlicence;

4) wanted or alreadyknownby the police; or

5) the victim was in a car.

Oddly, I keep posting counter-examples when you post this again and again, yet you never seem to note them. Please show us your empirical proof for this somewhat random list. #5 is especially stupid. Your proof is "it seems to me"?!

And how is it you don't list "multiple victims"? "Extremely high speed"?
Old 04-12-23, 10:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
The police said they were working with federal prosecutors "as the investigation progresses."
I believe the area where he was struck is actually a national park, hence the federal involvement.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-12-23, 10:45 AM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by livedarklions
It's disrespectful to any victim to use their death as an occasion for nitpicking the wording of headline.

This is a ridiculous objection and it only applies to the headline. You can only put so much information in a headline, and the cyclist was indeed struck by the car, not by the driver. If it was the driver who hit him, he likely would be alive today. The article made it clear that there was an unidentified driver, and nowhere implied in the slightest that the car was driving itself. The phrase "struck by driver" is factually incorrect or at least ambiguous. It could mean that he was hit by a golf club, but it sure sounds like he was hit by a person. If I have to choose between being struck by a car and being struck by a person, I'm going with the person every time.

The bullet comparison is just bizarre--there's lots of situations where people are struck by bullets and it is unknown where the shots even came from. And I believe "shot" in this sense is literally a synonym for "hit by a bullet".
i understand your point, perhaps mine was not well worded. more generally i am responding to the tendency to refer to incidents in which cyclists are killed or seriously injured by cars and their drivers are completely accidental with no fault or negligence ascribed to the driver, or with little or no mention of the fact that the vehicle which struck someone was pointed at that someone by a human driver.

other than the one initial fox headline, coverage of this incredibly sad event seems pretty fair given the information that is publicly available (which does not include the intoxication of the driver)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.