Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Traveler’s Health Insurance

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-23, 09:10 PM
Thigh Master
No Pain, No Pizza

Bikes: 2015 Tarmac Pro Disc, '99 Burley Duet, '10 Velo Vie Vitesse 300R, '94 Trek 2120, '90 Cannondale SR 600, '79 Ross Super Gran Tour, '76 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts

What’s the skinny on health insurance needs when traveling the globe by bicycle?
Old 12-31-23, 09:18 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 413 Posts
A good travel credit card is nice. If you charge your flights on the card, you are covered for accidents and medical issues, and better cards will cover medivac costs if you need to be flown home for treatment. The annual fee on these cards is a little high, but is less than what you would pay for travel and medivac insurance.

Otherwise, you can buy travel insurance, but make sure to use a mainstream insurer. I live in Japan, and as Amex in Japan doesn’t offer good travel insurance, I buy travel insurance insurance from Sony or Mitsui (big companies in Japan). If you do buy insurance, and need to file a claim, make sure to keep all receipts and records so you’ll have them on hand. I had my rental car broken into on a trip to Hawaii, the rental car company took care of the damage to the car, my credit card issuer covered the loss of money, passports, and the other things were were stolen. However, it took nearly a year to get reimbursed.
Old 12-31-23, 10:01 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
How long are you traveling?
What country is your health insurance normally and what countries are you traveling?
What is your profile for risk?

Depending on answers to these questions might guide your choices...

Note: The following thread was from earlier this year

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...onth-tour.html

A few general comments:
- For many short (e.g. less than a month) some means of getting back to your county (and health insurance coverage) is useful. Some policies cover evacuation back.

- Medical costs in the US (and coverage) can be significantly higher than many other countries. As a result basic care might be easier out of pocket (examples: I had treatment for infected saddle sores in Ecuador and bought medicine in Thailand - both cases out of pocket was very reasonable and much less than the US).

- For me the primary occasion to explore this was for an 18-month trip where I was outside the US for ~one year and I explored not having US-based coverage but instead other coverage while traveling. In the end I kept my US-based (cobra) coverage. For short trips I haven't bothered.
​​​​​​
- Even inside the US one might need to watch "out of network" or "without pre-authorization" issues depending on your carrier.
​​​​​
Old 01-01-24, 06:52 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
I researched this topic a few months ago and ended up going with these guys at the end:

https://genki.world/
Old 01-01-24, 10:42 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
When out of USA I bought travel insurance when I bought my plane ticket. Only covers emergency and evacuation, etc.

I have heard that some policies exclude injury due to adventure travel, but I found nothing in the policies that I bought that concerned me. My longest trip outside USA was a bit under six weeks.