Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bikecloset

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-24, 06:21 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Bikecloset

Is anyone here familiar with bikecloset.com? They have some good deals for tires, wondering if the products are legit? Would you buy from them?

Dave
Old 02-08-24, 06:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Like I always say if you are concerned with them probably not a good idea to buy from them. Maybe legit maybe not but certainly looks sketchy.

I get that unreal pricing is an attention grabber but surely after the probably 20+ threads in the past year on these same sort of sites we would learn. If it is too good to be true, it probably is and if it isn't why does the website look sketchy enough to raise eyebrows.

Caveat Emptor!
Old 02-08-24, 07:05 PM
wayold

Bikes: Tallboy, Domane, old 90s MTB beater/grocery-getter, and a new franken-gravel experiment based on a Sirrus x 5.0.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
I've bought lots of stuff from bikecloset over the years. They're legit. Only negative is that they charge $10 minimum shipping on all orders, so small buys may not be as good a deal as they appear. Also navigating their website can be an exercise in patience, but good stuff is there if you dig for it.

Last edited by wayold; 02-08-24 at 08:53 PM.
Likes For wayold:
Old 02-08-24, 09:22 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
I used them a few years ago with a good result, but you should check here:https://www.trustpilot.com/review/bikecloset.com
Old 02-09-24, 10:28 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
There's a sign at the address they indicate.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.3779...er=0&entry=ttu

The website is pretty basic but stuff on it is consistent and avoids the common "fingerprints" of a scam site.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 02-09-24, 11:17 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
They're real, and they're spectacular!

Sorry, couldn't help myself! I have bought tires, and shoes from BikeCloset, and yes, they exist! They seem to be where overstocks go to get sold off, so you won't find the latest stuff there, and you'd have a hell of a time relying on them for everything you need to build out a frame (for example), because what they have is often just one piece - e.g. recently they had 12 speed Chorus RDs for really cheap. But that was it - no FD, no Ergos, no brakes, no crankset.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-09-24, 11:24 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
I concur with what @genejockey says . They are legit. They don't have the best website in the world and the closeouts they have a kind of random. I think I purchased some tubular tires from them (Vittoria cx 27mm's) for a good price several years ago. I have not used those tires yet.
Old 02-09-24, 11:30 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I started using them about 5 years ago. Great prices on tires when they have them in stock. So I'm assuming they get those great prices buy buying in big lots of those tires and wait till their inventory is almost exhausted before buying another big lot to give us great prices.

Haven't had any issues.
Old 02-09-24, 11:42 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Iride01
I started using them about 5 years ago. Great prices on tires when they have them in stock. So I'm assuming they get those great prices buy buying in big lots of those tires and wait till their inventory is almost exhausted before buying another big lot to give us great prices.

Haven't had any issues.
I noticed that once Vittoria's Corsa Pro tires came out, BikeCloset suddenly had amazing prices on Corsa G2.0 and Corsa Control G2.0s, the tires that the Corsa Pro replaced. I think they buy manufacturer overstocks and closeouts.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-09-24, 12:07 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by genejockey
I noticed that once Vittoria's Corsa Pro tires came out, BikeCloset suddenly had amazing prices on Corsa G2.0 and Corsa Control G2.0s, the tires that the Corsa Pro replaced. I think they buy manufacturer overstocks and closeouts.
When I needed replenish my tire stocks, they consistently had some of the lowest prices for the tires I wanted. Which were GP5000 clinchers. Toying with the idea of changing brands. Maybe back to Vittoria, but I notice they don't currently show much on their site except for a few Pirelli and a very few Vittoria.

Though a few other online vendors seemed to have nearly as good pricing the last time I had to order tires. Which actually was two or more years ago.
Old 02-09-24, 12:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Iride01
When I needed replenish my tire stocks, they consistently had some of the lowest prices for the tires I wanted. Which were GP5000 clinchers. Toying with the idea of changing brands. Maybe back to Vittoria, but I notice they don't currently show much on their site except for a few Pirelli and a very few Vittoria.

Though a few other online vendors seemed to have nearly as good pricing the last time I had to order tires. Which actually was two or more years ago.
Ah, the $39 GP5Ks on PBK! I miss those.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-09-24, 12:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by genejockey
Ah, the $39 GP5Ks on PBK! I miss those.
$32 GP5000's when I first started using BikeCloset.
Old 02-09-24, 03:06 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Yes they are a legit retailer as last fall I bought 3 pairs of Sportful bibs and 4 jackets/vest from them. I get the skepticism as I'm as cautious as can be and for good reason but if you do more than a one page search on them you'll find they aren't a scam. I know there are lots spoof website these days but this isn't one of them. see their FAQ where you can call them, or lookey here, a real retail store(image dated Feb. 2019 so they've been there a while) .....https://www.google.com/maps/place/No...f_m9?entry=ttu
Old 02-09-24, 06:21 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
bikecloset.com is most definitely legit and I have bought many things there; the most notable purchase being a Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Superflow saddle (i.e., the lightest version with the CF rails) for $159 + tax + $10 shipping.
Old 02-09-24, 09:38 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by wayold
Only negative is that they charge $10 minimum shipping on all orders, so small buys may not be as good a deal as they appear.
That's true of most places, though-- shipping is usually at least $8-10, no matter how small or cheap of an item you buy. (It's why I don't buy much online... usually what I want is small and/or cheap enough to be not worth possibly doubling the price (or more) once shipping comes into it.)
Old 02-10-24, 04:51 PM
kcjc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
They are legit. They don't have the best deals for stuff I need recently, but I did get my first smart trainer and GPS computer (Gen 1 Elite Drivo & Garmin 520) from them. I have visited their physical stores (one in Folsom, CA, closed). I think they still host rides from the Vacaville store.
Old 02-17-24, 04:23 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I just bought stuff from them a few days ago. no issues. not as good amazon with emails saying your stuff has shipped. tracking number etc...