Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

No More Clicking?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-22, 02:15 PM
ejism

Bikes: '95 Trek MultiTrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No More Clicking?

Hello again. I just re-lubed front and rear bearings. Low mileage on bike (less than (500 miles). Bearings were a little dry, but overall in good shape. Only thing is the bike no longer clicks when coasting. Both tires spin freely and all was good on test drive, just no clicking from back hub. Grease used was ParkTool PPL--1.

1995 Trek MultiTrack 750
Original owner
Shimano Drive train

thanks
Old 04-16-22, 02:53 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 657 Times in 369 Posts
Originally Posted by ejism
Hello again. I just re-lubed front and rear bearings. Low mileage on bike (less than (500 miles). Bearings were a little dry, but overall in good shape. Only thing is the bike no longer clicks when coasting. Both tires spin freely and all was good on test drive, just no clicking from back hub. Grease used was ParkTool PPL--1.

1995 Trek MultiTrack 750
Original owner
Shimano Drive train

thanks
The clicking comes from the pawls in the freehub. You probably got some grease on the pawls so they have become quiet. As long as you get full engagement, no worries. It's possible that you might have engagement problems in cold weather as the grease gets stiff.
Old 04-16-22, 03:02 PM
ejism

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, I kinda overdid it when applying the grease. Even though everything seems to be okay, I'll break it down one more time just to be on the safe side.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-16-22, 03:43 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,271 Times in 1,439 Posts
I'd expect the freewheel click to gradually return, but perhaps not to the same volume level as before.
Old 04-17-22, 09:39 AM
ejism

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just finished cleaning out excessive grease. You're right. Some clicking has returned, but still pretty quiet. No worries.
thanks
Likes For ejism:
Old 04-18-22, 09:46 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 657 Times in 369 Posts
Originally Posted by ejism
Just finished cleaning out excessive grease. You're right. Some clicking has returned, but still pretty quiet. No worries.
thanks
For future reference, you might add a little oil to the pawls. It will mix with the grease and give you a durable lube with a lower viscosity so no worries about cold weather thickening but still pretty quiet. I've been doing this since the 1990s with great success.
Old 04-18-22, 05:52 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1516 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
I've noted that the higher-quality freewheels and freehubs always make the most noise. Shimano, OTOH, are generally the quietest. There's a lesson there somewhere.
Old 04-19-22, 12:23 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 550 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I've noted that the higher-quality freewheels and freehubs always make the most noise. Shimano, OTOH, are generally the quietest. There's a lesson there somewhere.
In the 6-7-8 transition era, freewheels were a lot more common on mid range bikes. Freewheels click, so Shimano made their 600 cassette hubs (and the 105, RSX, and RX-100 that followed) very quiet, so that you’d know by the sound (or lack of) that it was a cassette hub, and not a lower-level freewheel bike.

Modern era, and loud clicking, “buzzy” hubs are the “high performance” sound signature, much like the exhaust note on a sporty car.