Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Solid tyres + belt drive = v. low maintenance

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Solid tyres + belt drive = v. low maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-22, 04:43 AM
jdogg111

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 31 Posts
your marin fairfax sounds sort of like the trek soho. do you like the bike? is it heavy?
Old 04-27-22, 07:05 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
As I understand it, the problem with solid tires is that road shocks are transmitted directly to that portion of the rim, whereas with a pneumatic tire the shock is distributed around the wheel. Once you lose the pneumatic cushion, it's somewhat like (but not exactly like) bottoming out your tire on a pothole. Very hard on spokes and rims.
I had never thought of that, but it makes sense.
Old 04-27-22, 07:37 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
IMHO belts are for pants. Airless tire technology is not yet where it needs to be, but I think it will probably get there.
Old 04-27-22, 09:44 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
As I understand it, the problem with solid tires is that road shocks are transmitted directly to that portion of the rim, whereas with a pneumatic tire the shock is distributed around the wheel. Once you lose the pneumatic cushion, it's somewhat like (but not exactly like) bottoming out your tire on a pothole. Very hard on spokes and rims.
ISTM that no matter how they tweak the parameters, any kind of solid rubber or closed-cell foam is going to do this. I'd think that some kind of extruded tire with lots of cells that extend all the way (or at least partway) around the tire would help give more of the benefits of a pneumatic tire, while keeping one nail (or whatever) from being able to puncture all of the air-containing pockets at once.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-27-22, 10:02 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Bike Forums…. If it does not work for you then is wrong for everyone.

I totally get the use of belt drive and even solid tires. Sure they roll like crap, but they never need air and are impervious to flats. Makes total sense for some purposes. Not for mine, but apparently for others.
Old 05-06-22, 02:12 PM
fredlord

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
just slap in some gatorskins & go single speed.
Ha! I just got a flat while riding my single-speed fitted with Gatorskins!

Got home and got on the belt-drive with solid tyres. Great ride!
Likes For fredlord:
Old 05-06-22, 11:20 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 378 Posts
It seems like a toss up between Schwalbe Marathon Plus and The Tannus.
The Marathons seem to go longer before replacement required.
And for the time being, the Marathons are cheaper.

So the measurement is the least maintenance. I can respect that.

I'm not 100% convinced that the IGH is low maintenance, but for argument, I'll take your word for it.

So, for minimum maintenance, wouldn't a non spoke wheel be the preference over the spoke wheel?
(Just answered my own question, no IGH in helicopter wheels (or whatever they are called))

I would like to know the long term rim and spoke suitability when using the Tannus.

Might consider the Tannus when my SMP's wear down to the liner, but that might take years.
Old 07-21-22, 03:36 AM
Dgun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Tannus solid tires are not the answer

Tannus tires are bullet proof and awesome for flat protection, but the harsh ride and rolling resistance are too much and can’t be overcome .
Old 12-29-22, 06:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by car5car
Dead tires are right. Such a rough ride probably a lot better than iron tires but I doubt you can get those anymore without making them yourself.
Old 12-29-22, 09:39 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 378 Posts
Originally Posted by car5car
Solid Dead Tire
Freaking Metal...

Please give us a report. I am curious.
Old 12-29-22, 10:20 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,064 Times in 1,081 Posts
I get it. I looked hard at Tannus tires when I was commuting on a belt drive Priority. Other than flats, it was flawless for my commute.

I never pulled the trigger. I sold the Priority because it was boring, which in retrospect is probably a pretty good attribute for a commuter. Now I alternate between a fixed gear running Gatorskins and a geared bike running tubeless. Neither is boring, and neither is as low maintenance as the Priority.

I'm curious about the OP's long term review. In particular, how they ride on wet roads. That was my lingering concern, considering where I live.
Old 12-29-22, 10:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Solid Dead Tire
Freaking Metal...

Please give us a report. I am curious.
A rough ride where you feel everything the road has to offer. I remember when Specialized briefly had their airless tires and thankfully that is over. Tannus had /s them and there are always companies popping up with the newest best technology (of the early to mid 1800s). Thankfully John Dunlop came along and gave us the pneumatic tire for bicycles back in 1887. Yes modern airless tires are probably a lot better than the mid 1800s but they are no match for air.

The concept is interesting and maybe in the future someone with a lot of scientific knowledge can create a solid tire that cushions the rim and the bike and of course the rider, lasts a long time and acts more like a pneumatic tire but so far we have pretty much stayed closer to the original belts of rubber on a rim with a little more tech in the rubber but still a rough ride. All the systems I have rode were quite dead and you really felt little cracks and things. Possibly on a full suspension bike used on the road it might be a little more pleasant but they all felt pretty bad. They would be practical for a beach bike that gets ridden once for short distances at the beach and the bike is left there but beyond that I would rather change a flat once in a blue moon.