Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Sidewalks or road?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Sidewalks or road?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-15, 08:27 PM
njt07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sidewalks or road?

Noob commuter here. I have started riding my (e) bike to work and parked my car for about 2 weeks now. Its great I am far less stressed out and I'm a better mood overall. One question i do have though, do you ride on side walks or the road?

I have been riding the sidewalks for the most part, I don't trust the drivers here in Korea to pay attention enough to see me. Drivers, and everyone else, are too preoccupied with their phones and I honestly dont think they would even see me on the side of the road...
Old 05-04-15, 09:12 PM
phenry24 

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Paramount PDG-7, Peugeot PX10, Bridgestone MB-4, Kona Unit

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
It's [EDIT] absolutely legal or illegal depending on where you live [/EDIT] to ride your bike on the sidewalk here in (all, if not the nearly all) of the US. If you're worried about drivers noticing you, a fluorescent riding jacket, lots of reflective tape, and a rear flasher should help your visibility.

Last edited by phenry24; 05-05-15 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Letting internet vigilantes deal with greater issues
Old 05-04-15, 09:23 PM
harshbarj

Bikes: Trek Belleville, Workcycles opa, Schwinn

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Depends on conditions really. I myself ride on the street most of the time, but on the sidewalk when traffic gets so heavy it's not safe.

I'd check on local laws. Here in the states it's legal to ride on the sidewalk in most places, though prohibited in others. Not sure about Korea though. If it's legal and the speeds are too high, then ride on the sidewalk, but just be cautious at intersections (and always yield to pedestrians as you are the intruder in their space).
Old 05-04-15, 09:33 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by phenry24
It's illegal to ride your bike on the sidewalk here in (all, if not the nearly all) of the US.
That is incorrect, most states it's entirely legal, or with a few limitations. One should check their local laws.
Old 05-04-15, 09:38 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by njt07
Noob commuter here. I have started riding my (e) bike to work and parked my car for about 2 weeks now. Its great I am far less stressed out and I'm a better mood overall. One question i do have though, do you ride on side walks or the road?

I have been riding the sidewalks for the most part, I don't trust the drivers here in Korea to pay attention enough to see me. Drivers, and everyone else, are too preoccupied with their phones and I honestly dont think they would even see me on the side of the road...
Do what you're comfortable with, learn to walk before you run so to speak, and expand where you ride at your own pace.
Old 05-04-15, 09:47 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by harshbarj

I'd check on local laws. Here in the states it's legal to ride on the sidewalk in most places, though prohibited in others.
No, many states do not regulate sidewalk riding but leave it up to individual communities. That's true both here in California and in your state of Nebraska. Quite a few towns designate a business district where sidewalk riding is prohibited, e.g. that's the case in Lincoln, Nebraska.

In most cases I feel much safer on the roadway than on sidewalks since motor vehicle drivers are not expecting anyone to be moving faster than about 5mph on a sidewalk when they cross intersections or enter/exit driveways. As a result, the safety statistics on bicycle riders on sidewalks are not favorable.

Last edited by prathmann; 05-04-15 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-04-15, 09:54 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
That is incorrect, most states it's entirely legal, or with a few limitations. One should check their local laws.

I believe a safe rule of thumb would be to say that it's illegal within the business district(s) of most (if not all) major cities and legal most everywhere else.
Old 05-04-15, 09:58 PM
phenry24 

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Paramount PDG-7, Peugeot PX10, Bridgestone MB-4, Kona Unit

Originally Posted by kickstart
Everywhere I've lived since I've been riding hasn't allowed bikes on sidewalks, I guess experience doesn't reflect reality.
Old 05-04-15, 10:24 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
I believe a safe rule of thumb would be to say that it's illegal within the business district(s) of most (if not all) major cities and legal most everywhere else.
In general it isn't wise to ride on sidewalks that front on buildings regardless of what the law says.

I sidewalk ride about a 1 1/2 miles on my pm. commute home through a busy business and apartment area which is all up hill, I've never had any issues while riding the sidewalk there. On the other hand, I occasionally encounter an impatient/discourteous driver In the am. riding in the traffic lane on the same stretch of road.

There are plenty of circumstances where the sidewalk is the safest option if the cyclist is capable of using a minimum of common sense and self control.
Old 05-04-15, 10:59 PM
njt07

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so far I haven't had any issues riding on the sidewalk for my commute. Here in Korea i don't think they really care, motorcycles and scooters also use the sidewalk (its dangerous and scary as heck).
Old 05-05-15, 04:22 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by harshbarj
Depends on conditions really. I myself ride on the street most of the time, but on the sidewalk when traffic gets so heavy it's not safe.

I'd check on local laws. Here in the states it's legal to ride on the sidewalk in most places, though prohibited in others. Not sure about Korea though. If it's legal and the speeds are too high, then ride on the sidewalk, but just be cautious at intersections (and always yield to pedestrians as you are the intruder in their space).
I do similarly, particularly on high traffic, fast commercial roads; I call it "bolus riding." I'll ride in the road when traffic is light and go on to the sidewalk when a rush of cars (a bolus) passes, as admitted by the traffic lights. I wear a rearview mirror and know when to look for a driveway to get off the road, and then when to get back on.

This obviously works if there is a continuous sidewalk. On such roads there usually is not a lot of pedestrian activity, and hence not always a continuous sidewalk either. I find the appropriate situations mostly in older suburban towns here in the US.
Old 05-05-15, 06:12 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Always the road. I have ridden on the sidewalk twice...once bc I was trying out a new route and wanted to observe traffic on a particular road, the other bc that bike had brakes that would take a full half mile to come to a stop. I really need to work on that bike
Old 05-05-15, 06:57 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Time to ticket all the families going for weekend rides to the park using sidewalks!

Originally Posted by phenry24
It's illegal to ride your bike on the sidewalk here in (all, if not the nearly all) of the US.
Ha, your comment couldn't be more wrong.
Did you really ride your bike in the road all thru your childhood?
Old 05-05-15, 07:02 AM
phenry24 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Ha, your comment couldn't be more wrong.
Did you really ride your bike in the road all thru your childhood?
I'm glad I could give you a chuckle this morning :^)

I grew up in the sticks, the only sidewalks were "downtown" in front of the businesses.
Old 05-05-15, 07:26 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Well there ya have it- you did ride your bike in the road all thru your childhood.
Old 05-05-15, 07:51 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Well there ya have it- you did ride your bike in the road all thru your childhood.
Yeah, me too. I had to ride a couple of miles to even get to a sidewalk.
Old 05-05-15, 08:00 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Somewhere around 45% of bicycle fatalities are being hit from behind when riding on the roads with traffic. Riding on the sidewalk largely takes this out of the equation. If you are cautious where driveways cross the sidewalk and at junctions, as well as being considerate of pedestrians, a sidewalk is the safest place to ride (assuming no protected bikeway).
Old 05-05-15, 08:01 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
No, many states do not regulate sidewalk riding but leave it up to individual communities. That's true both here in California and in your state of Nebraska. Quite a few towns designate a business district where sidewalk riding is prohibited, e.g. that's the case in Lincoln, Nebraska.
Which is quite hilarious as the idiots in the City of Lincoln made "bike lanes" in the middle of the cramped one-way street mazes in the downtown business distric that are quite frankly death traps....that no one in their right mind aside from Jimmy John's delivery boys dare use most of the time.

Originally Posted by CrankyOne
Somewhere around 45% of bicycle fatalities are being hit from behind when riding on the roads with traffic. Riding on the sidewalk largely takes this out of the equation. If you are cautious where driveways cross the sidewalk and at junctions, as well as being considerate of pedestrians, a sidewalk is the safest place to ride (assuming no protected bikeway).
All of my (obviously non-fatal) accidents have been on sidewalks from the idiots who populate them. Most sidewalk crossing drivers and walkers are too dumb to successfully bang two rocks together.
Old 05-05-15, 08:25 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
All of my (obviously non-fatal) accidents have been on sidewalks from the idiots who populate them. Most sidewalk crossing drivers and walkers are too dumb to successfully bang two rocks together.
You must live in a vastly different country than I. Except in areas where they are extremely crowded they're not a big problem here. There is an occasional who'll pull through the sidewalk without stopping or looking but if you're even half alert you'll see them in plenty of time to stop. Same for people walking — you can usually tell those who present a danger.

Given the statistics I have no problem riding on sidewalks if I believe them safer than the roadway.
Old 05-05-15, 08:44 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by njt07
so far I haven't had any issues riding on the sidewalk for my commute. Here in Korea i don't think they really care, motorcycles and scooters also use the sidewalk (its dangerous and scary as heck).
Sounds like the concept of sidewalks is a bit different there. Motorcycles on sidewalks here would surely result in calamity. And most sidewalks here are cement with frequent expansion joints. I tried riding one once on a busy road with no shoulders. In that area, it would have been fine in terms of safety as there are no pedestrians and long driveways so approaching cars have unimpeded sight lines. But I found bouncing over the expansion joints to be intolerable and quickly returned to the road.

It's all situational though. From what I've seen of Asian cities, I'd be very afraid on the roadways.
Old 05-05-15, 08:53 AM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Law says no sidewalk riding here, even for kids.

- Andy
Old 05-05-15, 09:35 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Locations differ read the local statutes.. Sidewalks, at a Courteous slow rate of speed , are OK here , everywhere but the 6 blocks on the shopping streets..

getting off and walking your bike is always OK.
Old 05-05-15, 10:53 AM
Bikerdave222

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek 1, 1995 Mongoose Alta, 2002 Raleigh M80, 2014 Scott Metrix 40, 1999 Trek 820

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
This is true in Nashville.
Old 05-05-15, 11:07 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 2,539 Posts
For my commute, the last 100 yards or so, instead of using the road and a left-turn with a stoplight that is not set to be triggered by bikes, I cross the street and ride wrong-way on the sidewalk. It's earlyish in the morning and almost nobody is ever walking.

Also I live just off the main business street in my town. If I need to leave my house turning left, it's a pain to get across the busy 4-lane street and I don't want to turn right (the way I don't want to go) to get to an intersection and have to backtrack. So I ride on the sidewalk until I get to the nearest light and cross over.

BUT, whenever I ride on the sidewalk, I ride as I'm not entitled to be there. Very slow, cautious, making every effort to not startle or endanger any pedestrians, or make them feel that they have to get out of my way (I have to get out of theirs!). Most importantly, being very cautious crossing every driveway. Vehicles coming out don't expect me to be coming up on their right (and I don't expect them to expect me).
Old 05-05-15, 11:15 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by TransitBiker
Law says no sidewalk riding here, even for kids.

- Andy
Really? Can you provide a reference to the "Law" that prohibits sidewalk riding for children? Has it ever been enforced; ever?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.