Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Speed D8 vs Dahon Boardwalk D8

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-18, 10:00 AM
CanadaWriter

Bikes: Dahon Boardwalk D8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey,

I did a search on the forums and couldn't find anything on comparing these two. It seems that they are almost identical. They're both CroMo frames, 8 speed. The Boardwalk has Altus, the Speed has Alvio (though I'm not sure what difference that makes.

Overall for touring, could they be considered the same?

Thanks!
Old 04-26-18, 06:12 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
I like the retro-ish looks to the Boardwalk, but that is brother here or there for touring suitability...Alivio vs. Altus, hmmm, neither is particularly top of its class, but might do just fine. Tiagra/Deore is as mid-range as I petsonally like to go. Do both bikes have the luggage block on the headtube? it is useful for mounting a Kanga rack for touring. look at the gearing too. this is important for touring. Generally you want to be able to spin rather than mash up hills to conserve your legs...
Old 04-26-18, 08:44 PM
CanadaWriter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
look at the gearing too. this is important for touring. Generally you want to be able to spin rather than mash up hills to conserve your legs...
Sorry to be ignorant about this, but what specifically should I look at? I'll post the info here. I could always see if I could replace the gearing if necessary. I toured on the D8 and was happy with the hills in Malaysia and Taiwan, so if they're the same then no worries.
Old 04-26-18, 09:09 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Originally Posted by CanadaWriter
Sorry to be ignorant about this, but what specifically should I look at? I'll post the info here. I could always see if I could replace the gearing if necessary. I toured on the D8 and was happy with the hills in Malaysia and Taiwan, so if they're the same then no worries.
Hills in Taiwan can be quite steep (the Northern Cross Highway, for example). I was glad to have 20 gear-inches there. Depends on the terrain, of course, but i try for minimum 25ish gear-inches minimum. How many teeth on the cranks and cogsets of those bikes? The idea is that spinning, rather than mashing, fatigues muscles less and is kinder to the knees, allowing you to pedal for longer.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 04-26-18 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-27-18, 12:03 PM
CanadaWriter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How many teeth on the cranks and cogsets of those bikes?.
For the Boardwalk D8, crank is 48T and cassette 11-32T. I'm a newbie at the terminology but this seems to indicate a wide range for touring and decent ability on hills. What do you think? Did I miss some info?
Old 04-27-18, 05:19 PM
Abu Mahendra

For the Boardwalk D8, crank is 48T and cassette 11-32T. I'm a newbie at the terminology but this seems to indicate a wide range for touring and decent ability on hills. What do you think? Did I miss some info?
You've got about 29-84 gear-inches there. I cannot advise you with certainty about whether you've got enough low end because i don't know the hills you are seeing and the load you are carrying. However, i personally would try to bring the low end down a bit more. The thing is that for you to install a cogset with a wider range of 11-36T, you are likely to have to go to swap to 9- or 10-speed, meaning you are going to need new shifters, chain, and possibly a new RD too. Arguably too much trouble just to gain just another gear's worth of gear-inches.

I run a 47T crankset with 11-36T cogset for 26-83 gear-inches. In essence you and I have the same top end, but I've got an additional gear at the bottom. Whereas you are done once you shift to the 32T cog, I can go from 32T to 36T. I actually wish for a lower bottom end, but 47T x 11-36T on 406 wheels is probably a good Goldie Locks touring range that avoids the increasing complexity and weight of double chainring drivetrains and of wider-range cogsets that require a longer and heavier RD.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 04-27-18 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-28-18, 12:44 AM
CanadaWriter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You've got about 29-84 gear-inches there. I cannot advise you with certainty about whether you've got enough low end because i don't know the hills you are seeing and the load you are carrying.
Yeah well this is why I'm trying not to eat so many cookies these days. At least I can cut out some fat! Otherwise I'm looking to be biking at 80kg and carrying about 10kg of stuff. The last time I did this I was 83kg and carried 7kg so it was the same difference -- that was on a Speed D8 though. But again, I can't see the difference in the two bikes.

But first thing is first: how did you do the math to come up with 29-84 based on the numbers I gave you?
Old 04-28-18, 12:59 AM
Abu Mahendra

Gear-inches = Chainring T / Cog T * Wheel Diameter

I aasumed Wheel Diameter to be 19.5". That's what I have, corresponding to a 42mm wide (nominal) tire.

Yeah well this is why I'm trying not to eat so many cookies these days. At least I can cut out some fat! Otherwise I'm looking to be biking at 80kg and carrying about 10kg of stuff. The last time I did this I was 83kg and carried 7kg so it was the same difference -- that was on a Speed D8 though. But again, I can't see the difference in the two bikes.

But first thing is first: how did you do the math to come up with 29-84 based on the numbers I gave you?
Old 04-28-18, 01:09 AM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Gear Calculator
Old 04-28-18, 04:23 AM
CanadaWriter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Now there is a place offering a custom D8 with a FSA 55T chainwheel, but a friend of mine points out this wouldn't work out so well on hills. I believe he called it "overkill". What do you guys think?
Old 04-28-18, 05:18 AM
Abu Mahendra

Now there is a place offering a custom D8 with a FSA 55T chainwheel, but a friend of mine points out this wouldn't work out so well on hills. I believe he called it "overkill". What do you guys think?
​​​​​​
i already told you what i think. Going for a 55T chainwheel runs counter to my advice about gearing for touring, giving useless gears at the expense of useful ones.
Old 04-28-18, 10:05 AM
CanadaWriter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
​​​​​​
i already told you what i think. Going for a 55T chainwheel runs counter to my advice about gearing for touring, giving useless gears at the expense of useful ones.
This math is not my strong point. But I guess I get the idea: more teeth on the chainwheel results in lower ability to handle hills.
Old 04-28-18, 06:06 PM
Abu Mahendra

This math is not my strong point. But I guess I get the idea: more teeth on the chainwheel results in lower ability to handle hills.
yeah, more or less...A 55T chainwheel raises your low end to 34GI. This is roughly the same low end as on road bikes (which are light and carry no extraneous loads), not what one would want for loaded touring.

as i said before, your gearing now is not bad, it's quite decent, but it could be a bit better. however, the marginal gain from swapping to a 11-36T cogset is likely not worth the trouble and expense (a switch to 9- or 10-speed).

There are hacks to get a 36T cog on an 8-speed cogset, but these are a bit complicated.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 04-29-18 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-29-18, 09:18 AM
badmother

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Could you find one with dual drive? Three internal gears plus the regular external ones at the back?
Old 04-29-18, 05:40 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked 852 Times in 596 Posts
How about a Dahon Mu N360: Dahon MU N 360
Old 04-29-18, 10:24 PM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Consider the Hinge. I like the retro look of a Boardwalk. That said I am worried about my 95-100 kg.
Speed is a great bike. Not only a good gear set it has:

Quick Release Skewer/Axle System
Sealed Hubs
Sealed BB
Nice Crank Set

I don't know about the Boardwalk D8. It might be the same, but not avail in USA>
I think the Boardwalk Hinge though is worth evaluating no matter in contrast.

Good luck.
Old 04-30-18, 01:23 AM
badmother

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If the rest of the bike is what you want go for it. It is not rocket sience to swap out a chainring!
Old 05-03-18, 09:33 PM
CanadaWriter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
HI guys,

Thanks for the advice. I have now two offers I'm trying to decide between. I'd appreciate some help. There's a 230 Euro difference between the two and I'm not sure if the money is worth it. I'll also need to get some other stuff for touring such as a saddle, bar ends, and other things I have on my mind. So part of me is thinking I could "save" then 230 to spend on that. Not sure. Again, this is for a 1600km tour. Here are the choices:

Dahon Speed D8 Custom Build (From CH White)
ChroMo Frame
36 spoke q-release wheels
Shimano Claris Gear mech and Shimano twin lever shifter
Schwalbe Marathon Racer Tyres
FSA 55T chainwheel (but can be swapped to a 48T on request at no extra charge)

Total Price with shipping: 732 Euro

Dahon Boardwalk D8 (From TopCycles)
CroMo Frame
Dahon Neos 8
28 Spoke Stock Wheels
Kenda Kwest Tires
11-32T Cassette

Total Price with Shipping: 498 Euro
Old 05-03-18, 10:27 PM
Abu Mahendra

HI guys,

Thanks for the advice. I have now two offers I'm trying to decide between. I'd appreciate some help. There's a 230 Euro difference between the two and I'm not sure if the money is worth it. I'll also need to get some other stuff for touring such as a saddle, bar ends, and other things I have on my mind. So part of me is thinking I could "save" then 230 to spend on that. Not sure. Again, this is for a 1600km tour. Here are the choices:

Dahon Speed D8 Custom Build (From CH White)
ChroMo Frame
36 spoke q-release wheels
Shimano Claris Gear mech and Shimano twin lever shifter
Schwalbe Marathon Racer Tyres
FSA 55T chainwheel (but can be swapped to a 48T on request at no extra charge)

Total Price with shipping: 732 Euro

Dahon Boardwalk D8 (From TopCycles)
CroMo Frame
Dahon Neos 8
28 Spoke Stock Wheels
Kenda Kwest Tires
11-32T Cassette

Total Price with Shipping: 498 Euro
Two comments

Neos RD - does this not mean a proprietary/no dereilleur hanger? if so, it is to be avoided.

36-spoke wheels - overkill on 406 size rims. is it that they had a bmx jumps and tricks wheelset that they reassigned to a folder? 28 spokes is more than good enough.
Old 05-15-18, 09:38 AM
CanadaWriter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I decided to go with the Boardwalk, derailleur notwithstanding. Thanks everyone for the help!