Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I.D. Help / Any info on a Motiv “RockPoint II”

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-21, 04:18 PM
KiwiAmerican
KiwiAmerican

Bikes: 1993 Specialized RockHopper Comp. 1992 KHS Montaña Pro. 2018 Cannondale CAAD 12. Raleigh Seneca Mnt Tour.1987 Nishiki Prestige. 1993 GT Karakoram.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 13 Posts

Hello friends! I haven’t posted in years but I am truly stumped on info regarding a recent steel steed. Months ago I purchased a late 80’s Bianchi, upon arriving the gentleman asked if I wanted another bike for free. I could t say no (I certainly didn’t NEED it…but easily rationalized it as I tend to do). It is a Motiv RockPoint II with an interesting paint job. The Shimano GS200 RD and other comp suggest it’s from 1990 or so. I have found absolutely nothing on this bike. I’m aware it’s a low end 4130 ride, but the lack of available info has only contributed to the curiousness of where it’s from, where the others are, and what my fellow BF friends have on it. Planned on doing the usual cleaning, bearing check, replace dead disposables, without putting too much money in it. It will make a fine commuter for someone in the city, or perhaps a gift to one of my bike-less friends. Thanks in advance! I’ve attached a couple pics.

Old 09-08-21, 04:26 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked 2,984 Times in 1,498 Posts
Motiv,nice find.

I found a pink hardtail Motiv that was full xt with rm20 rims.not much info out there but they must have had a small higher end department.
Likes For '02 nrs:
Old 09-08-21, 04:40 PM
KiwiAmerican
KiwiAmerican

Bikes: 1993 Specialized RockHopper Comp. 1992 KHS Montaña Pro. 2018 Cannondale CAAD 12. Raleigh Seneca Mnt Tour.1987 Nishiki Prestige. 1993 GT Karakoram.

Originally Posted by '02 nrs
I found a pink hardtail Motiv that was full xt with rm20 rims.not much info out there but they must have had a small higher end department.
Sweet! Any info helps, other experiences included! Yeah it’s an interesting one. Single lugged joint at the top of seat tube, welds look clean enough. Structurally it’s very sound so it will make a fun cruiser for someone. Thanks again!
Old 09-08-21, 05:23 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Motiv was sold at Costco. I have nothing else on it.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 09-08-21, 07:24 PM
KiwiAmerican
KiwiAmerican

Sweet. Good to know! It’s nice that big box stores used to have 4130 frames w/ Shimano stuff that wasn’t made of tin cans and plastic. Appreciate it!
Old 09-08-21, 08:58 PM
RandomlyWest

Bikes: 2021 Batch Mountain Bicycle, 1989 Schwinn Impact, 2018 Micargi Avant, 1985 Asahi 790, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 2021 SE Lager

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Writing in from California here ... I seem to remember that in Southern CA back in the 1980s, Motiv was the "house brand" at SportMart, which was sort of the Dick's Sporting Goods of its day and later became Sports Authority. Decent bikes. It seems like the brand hung around until the late 1990s. (Correct me if I'm wrong about any of this...)