Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

WTB: Surly LHT Deluxe, Brompton or Bike Friday

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

WTB: Surly LHT Deluxe, Brompton or Bike Friday

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-14, 09:02 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wagonfanatic

I'm inclined to grab it.
Thoughts? What would you all pay for it?
Looks very nice - but I'd probably replace the saddle. My BF has a Brooks Pro.
Old 04-16-14, 12:53 AM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As much as I want the Brompton, I think I've got a sweet offer in front of me. Tomorrow I'm going to check out this BF NWT

New World Touring (with extra high seat post) with NEW -rear cassette -cabling -chain -front cranks
-disk brakes and pads (BB7's)

I'm inclined to grab it.
And what about your girlfriend? lol
Old 04-16-14, 04:51 AM
wagonfanatic

Bikes: 2018 Salsa Mukluk, 85 Faggin, Brompton 6, 04 Lemond Wayzata (Poprad Clone), '97 Novara Randonee (DD/ touring workhorse)

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by keyven
And what about your girlfriend? lol
Haha, she's not sure between the Brompton and the BF. If I buy the BF, we'll head over the Harris and test them both back to back (and I'll take some pics for a good comparative thread here).
Old 04-16-14, 10:28 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
As much as I want the Brompton, I think I've got a sweet offer in front of me. Tomorrow I'm going to check out this BF NWT

New World Touring (with extra high seat post) with NEW -rear cassette -cabling -chain -front cranks
-disk brakes and pads (BB7's)

I'm inclined to grab it.
Hard to tell value without looking at the components. I have not looked at new Bike Fridays -- or new bikes -- in a long time. But in the past -- I think ~7 years ago -- the premium for a Bike Friday NWT was roughly $600. That is, if I spec'd out a Surly Crosscheck with 105 components + wheels, I might find a shop willing to put it together for ~$1300. The NWT built to your specifications -- this includes elements of the bikes geometry -- at the time would cost ~1900. So I would look at the components, think of what a Crosscheck would sell for with those components, and then add a few hundred dollars depending on condition.

Remember that Bike Friday has pretty reasonable prices when selling new stem posts and such. It's been a few years, but a new swan stem post was a little more than $100 for my old NWT.
Old 04-16-14, 10:48 AM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I am surprised nobody has mentioned this yet

Russ Roca and partner Laura who started out on Surly LHTs but found that a big problem, so they switched to Bromptons and toured extensively on them.

pathlesspedaled.com/
Old 04-16-14, 11:24 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jur

Russ Roca and partner Laura who started out on Surly LHTs but found that a big problem, so they switched to Bromptons and toured extensively on them.

pathlesspedaled.com/
Ahhhhh ... yes, I couldn't remember their names or blog.
Old 04-16-14, 11:34 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I read they went back to big wheel tourers .. this guy started out on bigger wheels , got a bike friday , rode it into more countries

then left it back with the BF company when he got a sponsorship from Brompton to ride their bike.

a lot of Russ and Laura's ideas for packing their Bomptons were adopting Heinz's.. like the backpack on the rear rack, standing up ..

Heinz Stücke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .... https://www.heinzstucke.com/

He is writing in Spanish , now ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-16-14 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-16-14, 01:52 PM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jur

pathlesspedaled.com/
This link leads to the top of their blog, where there's no mention of any problems. Care to give a more detailed link?
Old 04-16-14, 03:34 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cplager
This link leads to the top of their blog, where there's no mention of any problems. Care to give a more detailed link?
I read that a long time ago, and don't remember the specific place... But the problem was that their Surlys were "too good", they were dragging too much stuff along. The heavy touring got to them. So they sent all the excess home or something and got the 2 brommies. Most likely this tale will be at the beginning of their Brompton tales. I think the packability also attracted them. The similarity to the OP was striking, at least as much as I remember.
Old 04-16-14, 07:27 PM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
To the OP... this looks interesting from PathLessPedaled... The Brompton Touring Book is Here! ? UPDATED @ The Path Less Pedaled
Old 04-16-14, 07:58 PM
wagonfanatic

Bikes: 2018 Salsa Mukluk, 85 Faggin, Brompton 6, 04 Lemond Wayzata (Poprad Clone), '97 Novara Randonee (DD/ touring workhorse)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Pulled the trigger on the Bike Friday NTW. $800 -- I consider that a steal, especially with a 27-speed gearbox and disc brakes.

I have to modify it to fit my frame though (this guy was 6'4!). Just ordered a Brooks B17, and will also install drop down bars. Will go from there.

Any advice on a travel bag for the BF, one where I can wear it as a backpack and easily fold it like this Northface? (not sure if this one will fit)
The North Face Base Camp Duffel - XX Large - Free Shipping at REI.com
Old 04-16-14, 08:09 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Bike Friday sells a travel bag:
https://store.bikefriday.com/product...e0d63a1e95bd28
Don't think it's designed to be worn as a backpack, but I have an earlier version and just roll it up and tie it on the rear rack. It's come in handy for travel on buses and trains - for airline travel I use a hardshell suitcase.
Old 04-16-14, 08:15 PM
wagonfanatic

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by prathmann
Bike Friday sells a travel bag:
https://store.bikefriday.com/product...e0d63a1e95bd28
Don't think it's designed to be worn as a backpack, but I have an earlier version and just roll it up and tie it on the rear rack. It's come in handy for travel on buses and trains - for airline travel I use a hardshell suitcase.
Yeah I saw that bag. Looked okay, but not as solid as the North Face. I think your solution is spot on thought with the soft duffle for around town and the hard case for travel.
Old 04-17-14, 06:15 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Pulled the trigger on the Bike Friday NTW. $800 -- I consider that a steal, especially with a 27-speed gearbox and disc brakes.

I have to modify it to fit my frame though (this guy was 6'4!). Just ordered a Brooks B17, and will also install drop down bars. Will go from there.
As far as touring on upright bikes, BF are at the top of the list. Well done!

(You can still convert it to a recumbent if you want. Then the only problem you have to worry about is falling asleep on long climbs ).
Old 04-17-14, 11:23 AM
wagonfanatic

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Wow, Charles that's an impressive project. I fear my mechanical skills are light years away from what would be required to execute that. Great work though.

We are looking at another BF Pocket Tourist (used) for the GF today, although she really wants a Brompton (since it can be a carry-on for airplanes). I'd be happy with a Brompton, too, so I can steal it when shes not around!
Old 04-21-14, 03:39 PM
wagonfanatic

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My girlfriend just bought a Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe 27 speed, with excellent components. We found it on Ebay for $1250. Our long search is over! Now its time to tour.

Thanks all for the help
Old 04-21-14, 07:09 PM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My girlfriend just bought a Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe 27 speed, with excellent components. We found it on Ebay for $1250. Our long search is over! Now its time to tour.

Thanks all for the help
Nice~ happy touring!
Old 04-22-14, 01:25 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks all for the help
Congratulations! Have a great time.
Old 04-22-14, 02:35 PM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Wow, Charles that's an impressive project. I fear my mechanical skills are light years away from what would be required to execute that. Great work though.
The kit makes it easy. There was very little skill on my part.

Congratulations on finding two BFs. I think you guys will be well served.
Old 04-22-14, 04:02 PM
wagonfanatic

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks everyone! You'll certainly see photos from our adventures posted on this forum soon. We are doing the Isle of Man, France, and Spain this June.
Old 04-22-14, 04:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
pedaling around the TT circuit on the IOM would be interesting ...I bet they worked on the roadway a lot since they started racing on it..

rode my bicycle on a super smooth portion of highway in northern Ireland , and when I commented how smooth it was

the locals said the road is used in a Race curcuit there.
Old 04-22-14, 08:40 PM
fourknees

Bikes: currently: electra townie 21d and 7d,i, durban bay pro 7, raleigh hybrid (2001 c40), burley trailer, a few kids bikes. Former: Townie 3i, weehoo trailer...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I strongly suggest you ride both bikes first and compare notes when it is over.

My feeling - never having owned an NWT or Tikit (tried this) - is that you will be extremely thankful for the Brompton's minuscule fold every time you have to bring TWO of it on semi-crowded public transport or pack them for air travel. The Tikit - for me - clearly had the better ride, but the Brompton beats it in almost everything else that matters to me (unobtrusive, tight fold, luggage options).
i've test ridden both and agree that the tikit rides better. Whichever comes out first with a 20 inch wheel version will get a sale from me. Just have to wait....
Old 04-23-14, 05:56 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
...I bet they worked on the roadway a lot since they started racing on it...
... 107 years ago.
Old 04-23-14, 06:05 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
My feeling - never having owned an NWT or Tikit (tried this) - is that you will be extremely thankful for the Brompton's minuscule fold every time you have to bring TWO of it on semi-crowded public transport or pack them for air travel. The Tikit - for me - clearly had the better ride, but the Brompton beats it in almost everything else that matters to me (unobtrusive, tight fold, luggage options).
For commuting, I think the Brompton is a very strong option because of the tight fold (and could imagine getting one for exactly that reason).

For touring where you are spending hours and hours on the bike, I think ergonomics/gearing, etc is going to win out. I'd much rather have a BF than a Brompton for this.

As far as packing, those things get easier with time. But, yes, a packable bike isn't as easy as a foldable bike.

I guess for me the question comes down to the intent of the bike:

Do you want something that folds well that you can ride? Or something that rides well that you can fold?
Old 04-23-14, 07:57 AM
Azreal911

Bikes: Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno, FSIR Spin 2.0, Dahon Mu P8

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I read they went back to big wheel tourers ..
They are now riding Salsa Vaya's which cost even more than Bromptons in my neck of the woods. But if you look at their recent adventures it's not on paved trails which isn't what small wheels are good for. So it pretty much depends on the majority of the paths you will be taking, if it's gravel and some dirt and you really really want a folder you might want to make sure it can take fat tires "schwalbe big apples".

The Path Less Pedaled

I think Wagonfanatic did great, he's got something inbetween, wheels are not too small and iso 406 size so he'll have quite a bit of tire options. As well as BF has a long history of their foldable (not tikit) bikes being made for distance touring without a problem. It's not something you can bring into a crowded transit train on rush hour, BUT yet it is small enough to fold and take apart to fit them all into a suitcase for the airport.

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited by Azreal911; 04-23-14 at 08:04 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.