Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Wheel is tilting-dishing? bent dropout? I'm confused

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-20, 09:45 PM
uprightbent

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 25 Posts

Sorry for my mechanical inabilities, looking forward to the great advice always found here.....

So my back wheel on an old Trek sits squarely inside the chainstays. The dropouts are Campy and they have adjuster screws. The problem is viewing from the rear, the rear wheel does not sit at 12 o'clock under the rear brake bridge. It's slightly tilting to the non drive side. Maybe between 11 and 12 o'clock. My first thought was the dishing might be off, but if so, how can it sit so perfectly between the chain stays? Can it be straight on one axis, and tilt on another? I should insert here that while the wheel sits evenly inside the chainstays, the dropout screws are set much differently since the non drive side axle tip is further back into the dropout than the drive side. There is a small amount of vertical play in the drive side dropout, but not enough to tilt the wheel to 12 o'clock under the brake bridge. I hope I've given enough clues. This problem is making fender alignment over this rear wheel nearly impossible.

Many thanks in advance for any tips....
Old 12-21-20, 09:56 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I'm fighting the same thing on my Giant MTB. I just relaced the rear wheel and trued it and it sits perfect between the chain stays but rubs on the seat stay like it's not sitting at 12:Oclock vertically. I spent most of the morning trying to straighten it out. If the dishing was off it wouldn't sit evenly between the chain stays. I'm about to take the rat tail file to the drop outs and give it a little tilt. Sorry I can't give you advice, but I'm going to be watching this thread too. Good luck
Old 12-21-20, 10:01 PM
uprightbent

Originally Posted by Bigbus
I'm fighting the same thing on my Giant MTB. I just relaced the rear wheel and trued it and it sits perfect between the chain stays but rubs on the seat stay like it's not sitting at 12:Oclock vertically. I spent most of the morning trying to straighten it out. If the dishing was off it wouldn't sit evenly between the chain stays. I'm about to take the rat tail file to the drop outs and give it a little tilt. Sorry I can't give you advice, but I'm going to be watching this thread too. Good luck
Thanks Bigbus. Glad to hear you also believe if the wheel sits evenly between the chainstays, it can't be a dishing issue. This is what I've been assuming.
Old 12-21-20, 10:06 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by uprightbent
Thanks Bigbus. Glad to hear you also believe if the wheel sits evenly between the chainstays, it can't be a dishing issue. This is what I've been assuming.
That doesn't necessarily mean we're right, haha
Old 12-21-20, 10:24 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
Sorry for my mechanical inabilities, looking forward to the great advice always found here.....

So my back wheel on an old Trek sits squarely inside the chainstays. The dropouts are Campy and they have adjuster screws. The problem is viewing from the rear, the rear wheel does not sit at 12 o'clock under the rear brake bridge. It's slightly tilting to the non drive side. Maybe between 11 and 12 o'clock. My first thought was the dishing might be off, but if so, how can it sit so perfectly between the chain stays? Can it be straight on one axis, and tilt on another? I should insert here that while the wheel sits evenly inside the chainstays, the dropout screws are set much differently since the non drive side axle tip is further back into the dropout than the drive side. There is a small amount of vertical play in the drive side dropout, but not enough to tilt the wheel to 12 o'clock under the brake bridge. I hope I've given enough clues. This problem is making fender alignment over this rear wheel nearly impossible.

Many thanks in advance for any tips....
Verify wheel dish before speculating any further. Also, it doesn't take much play in the dropout to affect the rim alignment as it sits over 13 or so inches away from the axis. A tiny movement of the axis grows rapidly the further from the axis you measure.
Old 12-21-20, 10:29 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 976 Posts
" while the wheel sits evenly inside the chainstays, the dropout screws are set much differently since the non drive side axle tip is further back into the dropout than the drive side"

Sure sign that the wheel dish is off

Last edited by alcjphil; 12-21-20 at 10:43 PM.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 12-21-20, 10:34 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,132 Posts

Can it be straight on one axis, and tilt on another?
Yes it can.
An incorrectly dished wheel can be made to run centered between the chain stays with the dropout adjusting screws, but it will remain off center between the seat stays.

As @nesteel says, verifying that the wheel is correctly dished is your first step to solving this problem.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 12-21-20, 10:57 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
An easy way to check dish is to flip the wheel around so the NDS is on the right and the DS is on the left. If the tire moves under the brake bridge, it's probably dish. How many mm are you talking about?

Can you fix dishing? I check with a cheaper one-armed truing stand, digital calipers, and lots of frustration. A dishing gauge would make it faster, but isn't necessary.
Old 12-21-20, 11:31 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 6,487 Times in 3,211 Posts
I measure dish the Sheldon way, with a table, metric ruler and two stacks of cd jewel cases. I measure in two different places on each side, just in case the wheel isn't perfectly true.

You may also check frame alignment using a taut string wrapped around the head tube anchored from one rear dropout to the other. Measure from the seat tube to the string on each side.
Old 12-21-20, 11:33 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Measure
then flip the wheel and measure again
the truth is out there
Likes For repechage:
Old 12-22-20, 08:36 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
If the wheel is properly dished, as @nesteel and @repechage suggests, and is centered at the chainstays but not at the brake bridge, the issue is likely the frame: one of the seat stays is slightly longer than the other, or the brake hole in the bridge is off-center. As long as the frame tracks straight while riding, it is a cosmetic issue that you can safely ignore.
Old 12-22-20, 09:34 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
If the wheel dish checks out, check the frame alignment. Your choice of the string tool or Park's alignment gauge (I prefer the Park - quicker).

Chances are the rear triangle is tweaked to the left or the right and needs to be re-aligned. Brake bridge misalignment will show up this way, even if the seatstays themselves aren't specifically bent to one side at the bridge.

-Kurt

Old 12-22-20, 09:48 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
If the wheel is properly dished, as @nesteel and @repechage suggests, and is centered at the chainstays but not at the brake bridge, the issue is likely the frame: one of the seat stays is slightly longer than the other, or the brake hole in the bridge is off-center. As long as the frame tracks straight while riding, it is a cosmetic issue that you can safely ignore.
I run over-sized tires (2.5") and have very little clearance to begin with. I can center it in the frame with the skewers, but the first jump I drop off it seats all the way down and the knobbies start rubbing against the seat stay again. Not exactly cosmetic haha. I also have disc brakes, but they're not effected by the movement for some reason. So confusing. Sorry uprightbent, I don't mean to hijack your thread, but our problems seem very similar.
Old 12-22-20, 10:25 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

I run over-sized tires (2.5") and have very little clearance to begin with. I can center it in the frame with the skewers, but the first jump I drop off it seats all the way down and the knobbies start rubbing against the seat stay again. Not exactly cosmetic haha. I also have disc brakes, but they're not effected by the movement for some reason. So confusing. Sorry uprightbent, I don't mean to hijack your thread, but our problems seem very similar.
You'll need to increase that clamping force on the QR. Does this bike have vertical dropouts?
Old 12-22-20, 10:31 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
You'll need to increase that clamping force on the QR. Does this bike have vertical dropouts?
extraneous.

Remove the tire, take advantage and insure the wheel is true.
measure the RIM to the Seatstays, Flip the wheel and measure again.

The string method is good for understanding if the frame is off to the right or left, but if a dropout is above or below the other, the string will tell no tale of that.

At the shop long ago we also had a known flat, straight rectangular extrusion about 1" x 2" and 7' long
set that to the sides of the rims as high as possible before the spokes interfere. using the rear wheel as the datum.
Likes For repechage:
Old 12-22-20, 10:43 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

I've had brand new machine-built wheels that have been as far as 2mm out of perfect dish out of the box (annoying for brake setup, but that's about all). I've had used (presumably trued once or twice) wheels that want to settle out farther from 'perfect'.

uprightbent, are there any other issues besides fender difficulties? I was thinking about the 'precision' I use to center the wheel in the dropouts between the chainstays, and I'm just sliding my thumbs or fingers between the wheel and the chainstays.
Old 12-22-20, 07:57 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Yeah, vertical dropouts. I might have to put my 2.35" Wardens on the rear to get the clearance. That 2.5" might be just a tad too wide. But it still bothers me that the wheel moves when it shouldn't. Right now I only have about 1/8" either side before the lugs on the tire starts rubbing. And I can tighten the QR to the point where I fear breaking the little arm off and the first time I go off a drop or slam the brakes at the same time I hit something hard and the wheel moves against the chain stay and it's rubbing again.
Old 12-22-20, 08:01 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

I''m sorry uprightbent, after re-reading your original post, I'm thinking our problems might not be as similar as I first thought. Have you made any progress on yours?
Old 12-22-20, 08:16 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Some frames are just built crooked.

I fought this same issue with a 1988 Schwinn Premis, I measured the frame every way possible and came to the conclusion that it was "built wrong", I then had my frame builder buddy look at it, he quickly came to the same conclusion and recommended adjust the drop out with a file, but I instead chose to JB Weld a piece of sheet stainless steel to the drop out to get the wheel to sit properly. Luckily I could "lose the space" in the drop out as this frame has a Sturmey Archer hub in the back and due to the flats on the axle there is extra space between the drop outs and the axle...

Last edited by jackbombay; 12-22-20 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-22-20, 09:42 PM
uprightbent

Thanks so much for all the great advice I knew was here, allowing me to remedy this problem today.

The dishing was the issue, as I should've mentioned I recently replaced each spoke one at a time, since I've never done any sort of wheel building. This must've caused the dishing to go off center. Flipping the wheel around showed at least 5mm off center. Taking the 1/4 turn advice, which took several stages, I've moved the wheel over and it's now centered perfectly permitting an ideal fender line and alignment. Each time I've tried something I'd normally take to a shop, I realize there's so much more I can do at home and enjoy it at the same time.
Likes For uprightbent:
Old 12-24-20, 07:57 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

I took the rat tail file to the drop out and modified it slightly, Then I added a grooved washer between the drop out and the skewer. I gave it a good test today, even went off a 3 foot drop as well as bouncing over some rocks and roots, hitting things at speeds I normally wouldn't and nothing moved. Everything worked fine. Merry Christmas Everyone!
Old 12-24-20, 09:52 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 6,487 Times in 3,211 Posts
I added a grooved washer between the dropout and the skewer.
What? Why? Pic?
Old 12-24-20, 10:29 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
Campagnolo dropouts are slightly tilted down, so if an out of dish wheel is centered at the front of the chainstays it will be off at the seat stays.