Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help w/BB spindle not on Velobase

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-24, 05:46 PM
uprightbent

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 25 Posts

Thanks in advance for any advice. Trying to find the spindle length for a Sugino AT triple crankset. It's on Velobase, but no spindle length has been listed. A recent comment on the Velobase page from 2022 says they were originally 127.5 and not easy to find. Seems like a very long one from my limited knowledge. I have a Sugino GT triple, from the same year (83) which requires a shorter 124.5. Tempted to try that size since I have one ready to go, but I'd like to get it right the first time avoiding unnecessary removal and reinstalling the cranks for the sake of the tapers.

Velo Orange lists a 127.0 as their largest size but I don't really want the new sealed type unless that's my only option. I have a Phil with a zillion miles on it that might have a little too much play in it, but I'm told that'll work with its adjustability. I know the bike model doesn't matter relative to the spindle length, but this is off an 83' Trek 720 and so many here are familiar with that bike and may have had a similar situation.

Thanks again!

Old 05-21-24, 05:52 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4631 Post(s)
Liked 1,778 Times in 1,163 Posts
$8:

https://www.amazon.com/Neco-Sealed-C...7&gad_source=1
Old 05-21-24, 05:56 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 533 Posts
Plenty of 127mm options available, that does seem appropriate for this crank but I’m not sure offhand. I wouldn’t worry too much about installing and removing a couple times for test fit purposes.

Are you specifically looking for cup and cone? That will leave you with vintage, or very low quality new options. Though maybe someone is still making nice loose ball BBs?
Old 05-21-24, 06:30 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 400 Posts
Originally Posted by uprightbent
Thanks in advance for any advice. Trying to find the spindle length for a Sugino AT triple crankset.
I had a couple Sugino Aero Tour cranks decades ago. They’re the peak of the ‘80’s touring cranks, just before the ATB tsunami. As such, spindle length varied by application. 122.5mm would be appropriate for a road/touring bike while 127mm or 132mm would be used on a mountain bike.

BITD, we’d have a selection of spindles in the shop to try out. If we put a bike together and the cranks hit the chainstays, we’d try the next longer spindle.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 05-22-24, 05:57 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 353 Posts
Try the one you have: you will be able to tell pretty quickly if either arm is going to contact anything or mess up chain line too much; tapers will hardly notice you putting them on and off a couple of times.
Old 05-22-24, 08:42 AM
uprightbent

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 25 Posts
Thanks to all for your advice. I'll try the one I have (124.5) and not worry too much about the tapers.