Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

400 km unsupported?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-09, 09:18 AM
Browncow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
400 km unsupported?

Hi, this is my first post to the LD forum.

I'm planning to do my first 400 km ride this weekend (Ottawa to Oshawa, Ontario) and I am just wondering how much equipment I should bring.

Now normally, this would be a two day ride and no big deal for me, but my plan this time is to do it all in one shot. The first half from Ottawa to Kingston is 180 km and I have done this ride a few times before. Thus, I intend to start off in the dark, and aim to arrive in Kingston just after sunrise. The second half, Kingston to Oshawa (suburb of Toronto), is a new route for me so I am doing it during the day. It is about 240 km and since it is during the day I will be able to refuel in the numerous towns along the way.

Basically, it is only the 180 km night ride that I am a bit concerned about. The roads are very low-traffic, I have good lighting and one of those safety reflective vests as well. So I'm not too worried about visibility. However, there probably won't be any opportunities to resupply because I'll be going through small towns in the middle of the night.

Can I get some advice on what to bring? I have a saddle bag which has two tubes, patch kit, tire boots, spoke wrench, multi tool, and room for my wallet and cell phone. I usually carry food in my jersey pockets and two water bottles on the bike. I do have panniers but I feel like they're overkill for this. On the other hand, I am used to stopping at stores on my long rides to resupply.

So what would you guys pack on a ride like this?
Old 07-31-09, 09:58 AM
spokenword

Bikes: ANT Club Racer, 2004 Trek 520

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Browncow
Can I get some advice on what to bring? I have a saddle bag which has two tubes, patch kit, tire boots, spoke wrench, multi tool, and room for my wallet and cell phone. I usually carry food in my jersey pockets and two water bottles on the bike. I do have panniers but I feel like they're overkill for this. On the other hand, I am used to stopping at stores on my long rides to resupply.

So what would you guys pack on a ride like this?
what you've listed so far for tools sounds pretty good, assuming that your bike is in good working order.

For 180 km, I find that packing all off the food that I'll need for the ride in my pockets gets to overload the pocket and makes it difficult to find what I need or want. You might want to consider keeping some of your food in your saddle bag and moving them to pockets as you eat your way through the food at hand.

I also find that two water bottles (assuming 750 ml bottles each) is insufficient for me for a ride of that lenght. I'll usually empty the bottles within about 130 or 150km. You might want to consider larger bottles. Also, keep in mind that even if stores are closed, vending machines tend to run 24 hours a day, and can be a useful source of water or potato chips or chocolate bars late at night. A vending machine with good inventory is also a bit of a precious commodity late at night, so if, at some point in your ride, you have any doubts about whether your supplies will last distance, if you see an operational vending machine, stop and top up your supplies before you get desperate.
Old 07-31-09, 10:19 AM
johnknappcc

Bikes: A beautiful columbus steel frame, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur touring bike, Currently Undergoing Overhaul

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Sounds like a fun ride, and yeah, panniers would be overkill. Do you have a trunk bag to go on top of the rear-rack of maybe a handlebar bag (for additional food). It would most likely give you maximum storage, but besides food the rest of your list looks solid.

Is that anywhere near Windsor/Belle Plaine? My in-laws live there.
Old 07-31-09, 10:30 AM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 36 Posts
Can I get some advice on what to bring?
I guess, but why not try to think the ride through for yourself. Only you know what you think is most important. Only you know how much load you want to take on. Only you know the role your clothes and equipment play for you.

But, OK - ask others to guess for you....
Old 07-31-09, 10:34 AM
Not the Slowest

Bikes: 2002 Seven Axiom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would add a few things

Sounds like a brevet to me, so pack as if you are going on one.

a) Duct tape, unroll around a pencil about 6 feet worth.
b) Spokes, check length for rear both sides and front. They take little room and
tape them to to frame or rear rack bag.
c) Basic first aid, bandages, gauze, Advil.
d) Endurolyte pills.
e) Extra batteries of whatever model you are using in your flashlight. If the flashlight has a Battery pack and you will not be able to charge it, then bring an extra strong flashlight.
f) Helmet light, small but able to scan the road. Critters move around at night, deer, maybe a bear?
g)Extra tire if you can
h) Tire boot kit
I) Pump, test it before you go.
j) Patch kit, ya never know
k) cell phone, extra battery
l) Zip lock bag for cell phone, wallet. It can rain, plus sweat can ruin either.
m) Sunscreen
n) EXtra pair of socks
o) leatherman type pliers,
p) extra nuts and bolt for rack
q) Toilet paper, hey ya never know

None of this weighs too much, better to have than not.

Good Luck