Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Lower cost handlebar bags?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-09, 06:04 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Lower cost handlebar bags?

Hi, any experience with Arkel, Topeak, Jandd, or other lower-cost (compared to Berthoud and Acorn) handlebar bags? How do they work out in long-distance riding?
Old 06-28-09, 02:12 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,700 Times in 2,520 Posts
Have no experience with any yet. I would also consider the Ortleib. The velo orange bag looks good and costs $95. Seems to be in stock. I am going to build myself a randonneuring bike, and the Velo Orange has traditional looks that would go along with that. I like the idea of pockets in the back, although that might not be as useful as it looks.
Old 06-28-09, 02:31 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I've got a cheap one I picked up at Target or somewhere, and the zipper is broken. I can't find another like it, and haven't seen a replacement at local stores. It'll hold 2- 32 oz Gatorade bottles + a smaller bottle. Has the clear cue sheet pocket on the top.

They have one at the local bike store, but it's smaller, and padded. Walls must be a 1/2 thick, so it's bulky on the outside, but not much room inside. I haven't figured out the purpose of that.
Old 06-28-09, 02:32 PM
SharpT
Titanium Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I enjoy my Lone Peak H-100 handlebar bag. Completed 2 SR series and still enjoy it.
Old 07-01-09, 11:31 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,700 Times in 2,520 Posts
Road Fan, did you make any decisions?
Old 07-01-09, 11:44 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

No, not yet, but it's not upon me. Some respondents are serious randonneurs, and are not wed to Berthoud and Acorn, so I have learned that that equipment is not seen as a requirement. I can see the design advantages of both, however. When I get back on my bike I'm going to try my old HB bag and test the handlebar concept for myself. That's the first question, can I and my bike accommodate a front load.

That's what I've learned so far.

I don't know if I like Ortlieb, generally. We have an Ortlieb dealer, locally, but I haven't given them a chance to sell me on it. I'm really a bit put off by their designs, just because in my mind's eye, something more along the Madden design lines is right, or of course the old TA, Berthoud, et cetera. I do need to take a good look at the Ostrich, and I think Jitensha had another canvas bag.

Until I try say 50 miles with SOME front bag, I won't know if I want a canvas one.

Dealing with center of gravity and a low mount is a question in my mind, as well. Decaleurs do not seem to be cheap, and neither are lightweight front racks. I already have a three-liter saddle bag, that works for my shorter rides. My current bike can deal well with a Carradice or other larger saddle bag.

You?
Old 07-01-09, 01:38 PM
spokenword

Bikes: ANT Club Racer, 2004 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Hi, any experience with Arkel, Topeak, Jandd, or other lower-cost (compared to Berthoud and Acorn) handlebar bags? How do they work out in long-distance riding?
My first few years of randonneuring, I just went with a map pouch that mounted to my handlebars, but after losing this pouch on a recent trip, I replaced it with a cheap handlebar bag from Trek (https://revolutioncycles.com/itemdetails.cfm?LibId=8549). The two major shortcomings with the bag is

a) water resistant, but not waterproof. All personal electronics need to be stored in ziplock bags in order to protect them.

b) map pocket is a little narrow and doesn't sit perfectly flat if anything is placed in the front zippered pocket (ie. brevet card) The clear plastic on the map pocket also tends to reflect headlamp light, making it occasionally difficult to read directions

also a minor quibble is that the elastic stabilizer cords aren't going to win me any style points or get any favorable comments if featured on American Randonneur or Bike Quarterly.

and, of course, handlebar mounting with no decaleur or rack places the bag at a high enough position to affect bike handling. I can still pedal for short distances with no-hands, long enough to remove a rain jacket or arm warmers, or open a ziploc of food, but I usually have to be quick about such things.

All the same, for $35, the bag does its job. I've used it on a couple of 200k's, a 300k, 400k and 1000k and it's been great for carrying food, camera, arm warmers, wallet and paperwork.
Old 07-01-09, 02:41 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
I like my Ostrich bag, it has to have the most space per dollar of all the offerings, but then again I think it's almost too big for most rides.

my race videos
Old 07-01-09, 02:58 PM
supramax
Temporary Earthling

Bikes: Raliegh 'Grande Prix', Fiori 'Modena', Cannondale 'Something or other' and a Specialized 'Globe Sport'.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the Topeak 'Tour Guide'. https://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/...deHandlebarBag

It's well made and perfectly designed. Here's some more pics:

I strongly recommend using metal washers.

Old 07-01-09, 03:27 PM
Road Fan

Interesting, those Topeaks looked good on Ebay, too.
Old 07-01-09, 03:33 PM
spokenword

Bikes: ANT Club Racer, 2004 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
I like my Ostrich bag, it has to have the most space per dollar of all the offerings, but then again I think it's almost too big for most rides.
12 liters of space is indeed cavernous.

... but, 12 liters of space for $135 at Velo-Orange equals roughly .09 liters / dollar. Whereas a $35 Trek handlebar bag has 4.5 liters of space for $35, or roughly .22 liters / dollar. The big Jandd handlebar bag offers 10 liters of space for $90 or .11 liters / dollar.

You get a lot of nice perks with the Ostrich and Acorn bags, with respect to decaleur attachments, multiple pockets for ease of organization and waterproofness, but I wouldn't highlight the economics of space as its chief virtue. It's really about the build quality and design approach.
Old 07-01-09, 04:01 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by spokenword
12 liters of space is indeed cavernous.

... but, 12 liters of space for $135 at Velo-Orange equals roughly .09 liters / dollar. Whereas a $35 Trek handlebar bag has 4.5 liters of space for $35, or roughly .22 liters / dollar. The big Jandd handlebar bag offers 10 liters of space for $90 or .11 liters / dollar.

You get a lot of nice perks with the Ostrich and Acorn bags, with respect to decaleur attachments, multiple pockets for ease of organization and waterproofness, but I wouldn't highlight the economics of space as its chief virtue. It's really about the build quality and design approach.
You're right - it's just a big damn bag in the end, maybe not a better deal.

Fwiw the canvas on the Ostrich isn't waterproof, but layered enough that the insides don't get wet so far.

my race videos
Old 07-01-09, 04:15 PM
bobbycorno

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I used a Jandd 'bar bag (adapted for use with a Nitto rack and decaleur) for a while, and other than it not being tall enough (I ride a 65cm frame), it worked quite well. I've since switched to a Berthoud bag which fits better but works about the same.

BTW, I'd be glad to make you a deal on the Jandd if you're in the market. It's their Touring Handlebar Pack II. It's drilled to take a Velo Orange decaleur, but includes all the original hardware, and is in near-new shape.

SP
Old 07-01-09, 04:34 PM
supramax
Temporary Earthling

Bikes: Raliegh 'Grande Prix', Fiori 'Modena', Cannondale 'Something or other' and a Specialized 'Globe Sport'.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting, those Topeaks looked good on Ebay, too.
5 liters is perfect. Most of the mega handlebar bags come with a load weight recommendation of 9-12 lbs, anyways.
It's the best designed handlebar bag I've ever had.
Old 07-01-09, 06:59 PM
moleman76

Bikes: Stella

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Decaleurs do not seem to be cheap,

and neither are lightweight front racks.
Nashbar has a little front rack that lists ofr about $15 and often is on sale for less than $10. If you don't have cantilever brakes on the front you might need to get some of the plastic-dipped "P" clips to hold it to the fork. Works to sit a bag on.
Another thing to look at is how your cables get from the bars to the head tube area and beyond. Shimano's brifter cables for the shifter function tend to conflict with handlebar bag mounting. Bar end or down-tube shifters are usually less of a problem.
Old 07-02-09, 09:25 AM
the spin guru

Bikes: Soma Extra Smooth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently got the topeak tour guide handle bar bag. My thoughts on the bag are that 1. The bag is well designed and looks very nice 2. at 5 litres has a fair bit of space for adds and sods with ample pockets. 3. Comes with a map holder.
The down side to the bag I found was the mouting system Niehter of the rings that came with mounting bracket fit my handle bar. I found that it made the bag sat too high up on my bike. The map holder was not designed for cue sheets in mind and certainly not water proof.

After doing a bunch of 200km's and a 300km ride with this bag I opted to take the bag off. I don't think this is a great randonneuring handle bar bag but certainly would make a great touring bag.

On the other side this bag is well priced at $65.00 and very nicley built.
Old 07-02-09, 11:50 AM
supramax
Temporary Earthling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the spin guru
I recently got the topeak tour guide handle bar bag. My thoughts on the bag are that 1. The bag is well designed and looks very nice 2. at 5 litres has a fair bit of space for adds and sods with ample pockets. 3. Comes with a map holder.
The down side to the bag I found was the mouting system Niehter of the rings that came with mounting bracket fit my handle bar. I found that it made the bag sat too high up on my bike. The map holder was not designed for cue sheets in mind and certainly not water proof.

After doing a bunch of 200km's and a 300km ride with this bag I opted to take the bag off. I don't think this is a great randonneuring handle bar bag but certainly would make a great touring bag.

On the other side this bag is well priced at $65.00 and very nicley built.
You can tell from the pictures, that my bag isn't angled upwards like they recommend, but parallel to the ground. It would be easy to raise the female attachment on the bag, so that the bag would sit lower. The only reason I haven't done that is because my lights are underneath the bag.
It has a rain cover, you know.

Old 07-02-09, 01:25 PM
mijome07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by supramax
You can tell from the pictures, that my bag isn't angled upwards like they recommend, but parallel to the ground. It would be easy to raise the female attachment on the bag, so that the bag would sit lower. The only reason I haven't done that is because my lights are underneath the bag.
It has a rain cover, you know.

I had the same lighting setup as you here. I've recently installed new brackets and moved the lights to my forks. Maybe an option you can go with.
Old 07-02-09, 02:30 PM
supramax
Temporary Earthling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mijome07
I had the same lighting setup as you here. I've recently installed new brackets and moved the lights to my forks. Maybe an option you can go with.
Kind of difficult to change modes when the lights are at the axle and not the best place for being seen by motorists. The only plus I can see is that you'd have a really accurate reading of the road surface (and of course, you'd be able to lower a Topeak handlebar bag).

What's your take on the set-up, so far?
Old 07-02-09, 07:35 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've had a Cannondale handlebar bag for quite some time and it still works good and it was fairly cheap, comes with a map holder.
Old 07-02-09, 07:38 PM
zoste
VoodooChile

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will the Topeak or Jandd bags interfere with Shimano STI cabling? It looks like they might make it a little tight for a stem mounted Garmin Edge, too.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-02-09, 08:23 PM
supramax
Temporary Earthling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zoste
Will the Topeak or Jandd bags interfere with Shimano STI cabling? It looks like they might make it a little tight for a stem mounted Garmin Edge, too.

Any thoughts?
I don't know about the STI cabling or the Jandd bags, but the Topeak bags come with this attachment for computers etc. I use it for a light when I'm not using the bag and I also have velcro on it to keep the extended map case fully open.

Old 07-02-09, 08:38 PM
the spin guru

Bikes: Soma Extra Smooth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes the topeak bag did cause problems with my STI shifters. So I had a bike shop put in some brake noodles, which in the end casued even more shifting problems. When shifting it was very difficult to shift into my big ring and when I shifted down to my small ring the chain flies off. This is very frustrating.

My axiom handle bar bag did not casue any issues with the STI shifters though.

But I just scrapped the whole handle bar bag concept and switched back to my aero bars. The entire time I was using the handle bar bag it was nice to have esy access to food and other things but I kept wishing I had another hand position especially when the wind really kicked up. Over all I am much happier with my aero bar set up.
Old 07-02-09, 10:46 PM
mijome07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by zoste

Any thoughts?
The Jandd bag does interfere slightly. Not too much to cause shifting problems. The bracket allows the bag to be mounted in six angles, up or down.

As for the Garmin, I'd get a Topeak Bar X'tender as shown here and mount it upright. You can then mount it 'T shape' or bar-wise as seen here and run it parallel with the stem (or not). This accessory mount is bombproof. I've heard some bad reviews on the ones Minoura makes.

Not to discredit Minoura or their products. I just installed some of their 'other' mounting brackets and they work great.
Old 07-03-09, 06:39 AM
Andrey
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 31 Posts
I have a Topeak bag that I used for several years. It has been modified, the stiffener was not stiff enough
if the bag was full, so the bag would sag badly , especially if riding in the rain. Map pocket was too small and not waterproof. I moved the mounting bracket higher, so the bag would sit lower and added an aluminum stiffener. It helped, it does not sag any more and it sits lower on the handlebar. I also tried the second stem mount so that the bag would sit lower, but removed it due to additional weight.

Although, earlier this year I installed a Acorn Boxy bag on my other bike with a small front Nitto rack and there is no comparison, rack mounted bag is so much better.
It is bigger, easier to open(string vs zipper), bike handles way better with the bag fully loaded, useful map pocket and it is easier to read the map-bag sits lower.

I would recommend a rack mounted bag like Acorn, Giles B. or VeloOrange over an cantilever mounted bag.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.